Newegg is making me nervous...

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablo111

[H]ard|Gawd
I purchase 99% of parts/supplies for my business from Newegg. They kick ass and their service is the best.

However, lately the sheer number of mail-in-rebates on their site are beginning to worry me. They are also listing them in the AFTER MIR price. I doubt it will happen (and I hope Newegg is listening), but I really hope they don't sacrifice their great prices to only MIR being the good deals...as so many retailers seem to have done (in particular, CompUSA (for the most part) Best Buy, Tiger Direct and a few others).

Anyway, does anyone have an opinion or insight they would care to post?

I used to buy a lot from them, too. Then I found out about ZZF, and their prices are better, and they have FREE 2DA on most items. Also, have you looked into buying from a wholesaler rather than a distributor? D&H comes to mind. They usually require a medium to large size shipment to get good prices though.

Yeah, Newegg is my last resort nowdays... Mwave is my first choice.. :D (now that they sell a wide variety of Athlon64 cpus) :D

Newegg has been slacking lately. I ordered something from them and asked for overnight air. Come to find out Fedex doesnt do overnight to my area but newegg failed to make me aware of this. 2 days later they emailed me saying there was a problem with my order and there was nothing they could do about it. Long story short, they refused to refund me the difference between overnight and 2 day so it took twice as long to get my order and cost twice as much. I'm going to start using ZZF.

The only thing I can say for newegg is that no matter what, you know if you order from them you are going to get exactly that. They wont take forever, and they wont fsck up your order.

I agree ever since they have gotten bigger and more popular they have used that to make more money but who wouldent? thats the buisness their in.

OEM said:
Newegg has been slacking lately. I ordered something from them and asked for overnight air. Come to find out Fedex doesnt do overnight to my area but newegg failed to make me aware of this. 2 days later they emailed me saying there was a problem with my order and there was nothing they could do about it. Long story short, they refused to refund me the difference between overnight and 2 day so it took twice as long to get my order and cost twice as much. I'm going to start using ZZF.
I'm not saying that it didn't happen, but that is unbelievable. I had an order with bad parts
in it, and they absorbed all the shipping costs, as well as refunded me the money
to ship back to them. Mind you, I didn't get this from the person I was originally on
the phone with. I complained my way up to a supervisor. Sorry, you got the short
end of the stick.

Take it from somebody who spent far too many years of his life in customer service and support. bitch, take notes, bitch, and take some more notes. :) The squeaky wheel will
get the grease, but if you don't have data to back up your claims and arguments. You won't get too far. By the time a complaint gets up to a manager, If you start telling them
who you talked to, who transfered you to where, and how long for this and that with real
times, and not "it felt like an hour" they'll listen, and kiss your a$$. Companys don't want
to lose customers. I'd say you need to get newegg to refund your shipping costs, because that was illeagal. They sold you a service they couldn't provide, took your money, and gave you something else. That's theft.

-Jeff

They did end up refunding me the difference of the overnight and 2 day service and the $2.99 rush thing because I emailed Brian Johnson(one of neweggs customer support managers) directly. I would have liked them to completley refund my shipping costs, but they didnt and I can understand why, they are a business and they cant be handing out freebies all the time. I've delt with worse customor service in the past and I think over all they did a decent job. Still maybe the last time I order from them since it did take a couple days for them to refund me.

What is ZZF? I was planning on ordering my stuff from newegg but now you've piqued my interest.

USMC2Hard4U said:
The only thing I can say for newegg is that no matter what, you know if you order from them you are going to get exactly that. They wont take forever, and they wont fsck up your order.
A year ago, I would have agreed with you. But after 3 times getting the absolute wrong part when I ordered some refurbs (yeah, I know they are untested, but goddamnit I better get what I order. Antec True480 != Enermax 470, etc.) and then having to wait *2* yes *2* months for a refund after FedEx lost my package and newegg just kept giving me excuse after excuse for the delay. Never again

OEM said:

Lotsa luck with ZZF,you think NE is bad about shipping........................

SarverSystems said:
www.zipzoomfly.com, formerly known as googlegear until Google threatened to sue them.

I wish I was a megacorporation and could threaten to sue people and have it actually MEAN something...

Mail in rebates suck. Listing an item by the "after rebate" price is just fricking low unless it's some kind of instant at checkout rebate that isn't the same thing at all, which it's not, so um anyway yeah that's pretty low.

Chiefvalue is also another good same-but-different alternative. But ZZF gets major points if you are ordering hard drives, Newegg/Chiefvalue is retarded and just bubblewraps them and tosses them in a box of peanuts.

The thing that really annoys me about Newegg is that they are censoring negative product reviews.

Give a 1 or 2 star review, it magically disappears :rolleyes:

Well, I like when they bubblewrap them in put them in peanuts personally..but the newegg shipping prices suck. Their rep is gonna take a hit. Man, I remember when I went there all the time and always recommended them, but lately, I'm not so sure.

..I have a feeling that newegg snoops around forums and looks for popular things then mess with the price of those items..

XSNiper said:
Well, I like when they bubblewrap them in put them in peanuts personally..

It's not a very good way to ship a hard drive. ZZF uses nice little foam boxes for them, and securely packed so they don't move around in shipping.

I had to RMA a hard drive recently. One of these shipping methods was acceptable, the other I was told would cause my RMA to be voided. Want to guess which is which?

The rebates rock. They give you a better price on already great priced merchandise.

Example: I got a 256MB SD flash card for $7 after MIR.

However, Newegg's shipping is now killing 80% of their deals. So , MIR or not, they don't offer the best price on much anymore. :(

The only thing that keeps me coming back is my 100% confidence in them.

Newegg has been a little bitch getting new products in on time. I got so sick of waiting for the Antec P180 I went and ordered it at ZipZoomfly and its already half way here. I'll start shopping ZZF more if Newegg doesn't get their act together.

The MIR worry me as well, when I was writing up my latest update to my video card forum sticky, it dawned on me the problems that could arise. :(

~Adam

I always shop around.

Though it seems more and more ZZF has been better on prices, and free 2 day shipping. Sometimes neweggs shipping price doesnt seem right if you remove one item that you know doesnt weigh a lot but it jacks the price up a few bucks for shipping.

saved over 20 bucks recently just changing a few parts from egg to zip zoom just in shipping alone.

SarverSystems said:
I used to buy a lot from them, too. Then I found out about ZZF, and their prices are better, and they have FREE 2DA on most items. Also, have you looked into buying from a wholesaler rather than a distributor? D&H comes to mind. They usually require a medium to large size shipment to get good prices though.

I just bought a processor and 2GB of ram from ZZF and saved about $50 over NewEgg on the EXACT same products. Not to mention I got free 2 Day Air on everything. The $50 I saved does NOT include the amount I saved on shipping! :eek:

ZZF is becoming my "go-to" place for hardware. NewEgg seems to be slipping in the price department.

damnit now I have to piece together orders again like its 1999. On my builds I would get screwed on S&H until I found the egg years ago. I haven't needed to buy from anyone else cause $ and S&H wasn't to bad. well times change i guess.

I just the deals page at Newegg. 11 out of the 48 items have MIR's on them. 17 items are showing an "instant rebate", (to me instant rebates are a classic way to make you think you're getting some kind of killer deal...otherwise, why even show them?? Why not just mark the item down to the final price?).

It will be a sad day if this continues and escalates...rebates blow :(

EDIT>>>
I just went to check out ZZF as I always do (yes I do shop around)...I need a 802.11g PCI card. 14 out of the 25 cards have MIR's on them...but at least they are listing prices before MIR's.

I cant stand neweggs new website layout, yes i know i can still browse the classic one but its only a matter of time b4 they phase that out, because they dont even update the classic anymore.... :(

i ordered two hitach drives from newegg. one is doa. i called newegg and needless to say the lady on the phone was a bit of a smartass with me. i shipped back the drive and now the box i sent has been opened and the contents are indeed what i shipped to them. what im concerend about is "repair" the rma email they sent me ..they said replace. i sure hope they are sending me a new drive and not a repaired drive. :confused:

CMAN said:
Lotsa luck with ZZF,you think NE is bad about shipping........................

I have NEVER had an issue with ZZF, nor did I ever have any issues when they were Googlegear.

Everything has arrived right on time, sometimes a day or so early. :)

ZZF will be cheaper but newegg is more reliable from what I've heard, in fact I've heard that newegg is as reliable as you can get. I'd certainly trust it over pricewatch myself.

~Adam

ZZF just shipped me a bad PSU. I sent in an RMA request, got it accepted the enxt day. They paid for my shipping to return it, and they just received it today. I expect the replacement by Tuesday.

Newegg doesn't pay for return shipping.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Newegg, but I am liking ZZF more and more.

ZZF doesn't carry CRT monitors. Newegg has much better case selection. Etc...

Arklight said:
I have NEVER had an issue with ZZF, nor did I ever have any issues when they were Googlegear.

Everything has arrived right on time, sometimes a day or so early. :)

The last couple of times i bought from ZZF it was 2 days before they even processed the order,much less shipped it. It took 5 days to get what i orderd from the time i ordered it.

CleanSlate said:
ZZF will be cheaper but newegg is more reliable from what I've heard, in fact I've heard that newegg is as reliable as you can get. I'd certainly trust it over pricewatch myself.

~Adam
There was a time (and not to long ago) that newegg was on pricewatch and was almost always in the top five for best price on whatever you were searching for... Now, they would shoot themselves in the foot if they were still ranked on pricewatch because everyone would see how much their prices have jumped. Now if newegg wants to take the bold step of sending in the rebates to the manufacturers themselves and passing on the savings to us to make their prices more compelling, then I would concider shopping there again.

Im wondering what small company will become the next newegg... My last purchase was at http://www.basoncomputer.com I got a WD2500JD for 104$ ~ no rebate and free fedex ground. Not to shabby.

A year ago, I would go to Newegg and order without a second thought. These days, I compare Newegg and ZZF and usually find myself ordering from ZZF more often than not. I, too, have been keeping my eye out for the "next Newegg" but no luck so far.

MIR's are the work of the devil as far as I'm concerned. I really like New Egg's service and their speedy processing and shipping, so as long as they have competative prices (Before the evil mail in rebates!) I'll continue to purchase from them. If it turns into a situation where using the MIR's are the only way to get a good price from them I'll be sad and go elsewhere. For now I'm still purchasing from the Egg when they can beat Fry's B&M prices.

It would be interesting if someone were to compare prices and get them both on the phone and see how low they will go. That is how the economy and big business works.

I would love to see Newegg have a low price guarantee. They may already.... but I haven't seen it.

I have used egg for 5 years, but just put in my first zzf order today. Will see how it is.

~Pal

I'm just glad that there is competition out there. Keeps one company from getting too big of a head.

My last build I bought whatever I could cheaper at the other place between Bestbuy, ZZF, and newegg. This was of course AFTER shipping from the e-tailers. About half the computer was from ZZF and the other half from newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back