Newegg is making me nervous!

bigbadgreen said:
And now we wonder why parts cost so much. when people return working parts it ups the cost for everybody, even with restocking fees they still eat the cost. They are standing behind their products. they will exchange the mobo for the exact same one. that says if it's defective, no problem you get a new one. by thinking that they are responsible for hardware conflicts (very rare) or boards that people just don't like (won't overclock well, doesn't seem fast enough), is like saying GM is responsible if you modify one of their cars engines and it doesn't get the power you think it should, and should give you another car.

If the mobo is buggy rma it for the same board, if it's still buggy it's not their problem. It's not their problem if they sell a fully working board. NE is doing everything they should, it's not their business to have you test mobos, but half of the people ehre seem to think so. Why don't some of you build computers and just keep rmaing parts every 29 days to get cutting edge, because that's exactly what you're describing. trading in a working part to get a different part because it didn't work how you thought it should.

Computer parts aren't in the same game as the food industry, when you buy a $120 steak and try to return it for a different entree because you didn't read the menu right i bet they just don't wisk it away and bring you anything.

This is exactly the childish whining that allows for ridiculously poor customer service.

Your opinion will change when you experience a similar situation.

If you buy a 120 steak and it sucks they will MOST CERTAINLY replace your dinner with a different item. As long as they aren't giving you back the 120 bucks you will get near zero argument or fuss EVER.

There is a cost to do BUSINESS. There is a reason not every schmoe can be a reseller.

Stop selling ABIT boards if they are continually being RMA'd.

OR list the item as an item for EXPERTS only. Advertise it as needing tweaks to run. Take the friggin 5 seconds to add info to the individual pages beyond the companies PR blurbs.

How much "research" should be done to be a customer?

All major companies will have a RTV service. I am certian NE does as well. They are going to eat all of 10 or 12 bucks on each mobo order that gets returned. They made more than that off of the original purchase and will keep that if you return the board for a different in stock item of equal or near equal value.

THEY HAVE A 15% RESTOCKING FEE!
Thats 18 or so bucks they earn out of 120 and get the card back.

A business should be the expert not the customer. After all its their BUSINESS for chrissakes.
I fully understand the user error concept but mobo's that need you to make major BIOS adjustments and avoid extremely popular components like Antec psu's should have those issues noted by the company selling(or reselling) them. I am talking about mobo's that never work for users. Not a guy who had one quit after 2 years.

And the raised prices whine goes to show now naive folks are. Prices get raised to meet supply and demand. Do you think the 315 bucks and 325 bucks we are seeing at many sites for ASUS NF4 SLI boards are because of RMA's??? Get a grip.

Newegg controls the lion's share of computer online shopping by part in large because of their track record of easy RMA's.

The real problem is the extremely flaky boards being rushed out the door and the fact some knuckleheads actually want to excuse sellers and resellers for pawning off crappy products on shoppers.

Bottom line there are many tacts NE can take to lessen RMA's on mobo's:
1. Have a knowledgeable person review each mobo order for other parts.
2. Include quick tip sheets with each mobo purchase.
3. Ask anyone requesting an RMA on a mobo tyo talk to a techie for a few mins and see if they can get the board working.
4. Provide a few warnings that the boards are recommended only for serious enthusiasts and computer professionals not end users.

Monarch currently has a MUCH better means of dealing with mobo orders. Because of that they'll get my 315 for the A8N-SLI. I'd rather pay more for a board that works and was tested than less for a boat anchor.

Shumph said:
A. why should NE have to stand behind abit's product? Their exchange is fair IMHO do your research before you buy.
Because they are selling it. If you sell anything you take a certian amount of responsibility for that item. See the consumer rights articles. No one is making Newegg sell any particular item.

B. Do you think rtv policies are free? who pays for the shipping, testing reboxing reshipping etc. the consumer just because someone got 10mhz less overclock than someother fucktard on the internet
A reseller pays for an employee to do testing. That creates jobs. Shipping in bulk with a company like NE is very cheap. They can send these cards back 50 at a time for less than 20 bucks.

Someone sending back a card because it didn't OC as well as someone else is an issue beyond the one discussed here. Thats a moral problem for the guy returning a working part.

BTW just so you know I have this board and after an inital bios issue it has been rock solid.
So even yours didn't work out of the box yet you expect everyone to just accept a non-working item out of the box? And do you think all of them work after just a BIOS update?

... and BTW I have never RMA'd a single item. But if I had a mobo I couldn't get working in a week I dang sure would.

They are going to eat all of 10 or 12 bucks on each mobo order that gets returned. They made more than that off of the original purchase and will keep that if you return the board for a different in stock item of equal or near equal value.

To be quite honest, you'd be suprised at what newegg makes on each board. There are some products that they acutally lose money on, but alot of the time they are only making one or two points on the item. They make their money on the backend from manufacturers, both from incentives and marketing dollars. They make the real money on products like laptops, there's margin there, but as tight a margin they have on the rest of the stuff, you better believe they are looking for ways to cut costs.

jterrell said:
Because they are selling it. If you sell anything you take a certian amount of responsibility for that item. See the consumer rights articles. No one is making Newegg sell any particular item.
No one is making you buy it. The board works as advertised. Any issues with it are abit's issues and ne has it clearly stated that all warrenties are through abit. If the board is defective it will be replaced, period. And do not give me this other bs about not having to tweak somthing in it to get it to work. That is a price all dyi'ers pay. Reasearch the item you want before purchase, it is not incumbent on ne to make sure the product works with your equip. If you want it worked out buy a dell.

jterrell said:
A reseller pays for an employee to do testing. That creates jobs. Shipping in bulk with a company like NE is very cheap. They can send these cards back 50 at a time for less than 20 bucks.

:rolleyes: Please. That is exactly what I am talking about. So now I have to subsidize someones employee so people can try shit willy nillie. Sooner or later you people will realize that it is this type of stuff that jacks up the prices all the time.

jterrell said:
Someone sending back a card because it didn't OC as well as someone else is an issue beyond the one discussed here. Thats a moral problem for the guy returning a working part.
I so acknowledged later in the thread. The point remains however

jterrell said:
So even yours didn't work out of the box yet you expect everyone to just accept a non-working item out of the box? And do you think all of them work after just a BIOS update?

... and BTW I have never RMA'd a single item. But if I had a mobo I couldn't get working in a week I dang sure would.
Again if the item does not work it will be replaced. Weather its by abit or ne is irrelevant. mine *worked* out of the box that is why I have the same board I started with. I knew before hand that it may have a bios issue and I was prepared for that eventuallity.
You must be very proud of yourself never having a rma, I feel honored you told me.

hardwarephreak said:
To be quite honest, you'd be suprised at what newegg makes on each board. There are some products that they acutally lose money on, but alot of the time they are only making one or two points on the item. They make their money on the backend from manufacturers, both from incentives and marketing dollars. They make the real money on products like laptops, there's margin there, but as tight a margin they have on the rest of the stuff, you better believe they are looking for ways to cut costs.

Phreak, much like you I have ordered hardware from suppiers and in the bulk in which NE buys you can absolutely guarantee they make a good profit on the newer items that sell. Now in 5 months they may not make anything as they may not on say nforce2 boards they ordered when nforce2 was in.
IF NE is not getting huge bulk discounts they need to go out of business for sheer stupidity.
And you point out another issue. NE accepts money to advertise certian items like ABIT and yet realizes those proiducts are not providing good return to the customer on the average.

Emrett said:
HE DID SAY IT

Stop being an ass

No He didnt, What he said was nothing more then a complaint with very little technical info in it at all. With what you quoted from what he said could you say it was a bad mobo, memory or maybe somthing else. Do you have enough info to trouble shoot the problem correctly to first off condem the mobo. I own and run my own pc shop where I diagnose, fix,build do network support and parts sales. If you or he would have told me exactly what you quoted him saying, I would have many more unanswered questions that i would need answers for before i or any of my techs could begin to fix it or condem something at fault. Its not a matter of being an ass. Its a matter of reading what he has stated and going on that you or i in 100% confidence cannot say its a bad mobo or memory or what. Would really like to help him figure it out. Maybe he gets a new mobo and same problem, Then what? Not taking away from him or trying to insult just that anything is possible. Hell Ive done this kinda work for better then16 years and even i have some diags that kick my ass and then i just need to step back take a breath and maybe even pick some others brains.

The Captin

Feel free to shop NE for mobo's. Feel free to advise friends and family to.
While you are worried about subsidizing jobs I am worried about getting quality customer service for parts I purchase. I wouldn't be buying computer parts if I couldn't afford to pay for quality. The beautiful thing about the free enterprise system is we can all decide what we want to pay and what limits we accept on customer service.

Personally I think anyone who would spend a couple of grand on a pc deserves the ability to exchange any aspects of the system they wish provided it isn't working as they expected and they do so in a reasonable period of time.

Phreak has acknowledged he stopped selling ABIT boards, Monarch offers select boards and updates the BIOS for you, other companies do the same. NE is behind the times on mobos.

In this case I am sure NE lost a customer from the guy with the initial problem. He can't get his mobo to work. The more customers they lose the more they will CHARGE you.

TigerDirect has this same weird transformation from industry bellcow to mediocre to outright outcast. Customer service always pays off in the end.

jterrell, Newegg always clearly states which products can or cannot be returned for refund. If you are certain that there was no mention of that when you ordered then call them and tell thim so and they'll probably let you return it.

I just had the exact same experiance. (with the gigabyte board K8NS Ultra) I did an RMA for "repair" and sent it back on Saturday. I then called them monday and explained my issues with the board. With no questions asked they issued me a refund for the board and the shipping I paid to send it back. I assume this was because I was within the 30 day return period. I don't know, I still love Newegg.

jterrell said:
Phreak, much like you I have ordered hardware from suppiers and in the bulk in which NE buys you can absolutely guarantee they make a good profit on the newer items that sell. Now in 5 months they may not make anything as they may not on say nforce2 boards they ordered when nforce2 was in.
IF NE is not getting huge bulk discounts they need to go out of business for sheer stupidity.
And you point out another issue. NE accepts money to advertise certian items like ABIT and yet realizes those proiducts are not providing good return to the customer on the average.

Actually on individual parts and componets to be extremly competitive online Suppliers are lucky if the sell it for $5 over cost. Thats why they must sell large quanitys to make a dime. And its not just new egg Its tons of places. Most retail stores have higher overheads and have a formula for profit that the must make at least 35 points to be profitable.Those places like best buy and circut city and other retailers. Nothing stoopid about it. Unless you would like them all to raise prices and we pay more.

The introduction of heavy-use of manufacturer over retailers RMA systems was the LGA-775 platform, so that they wouldn't have to deal with all the bent pins.

The whole point of this particular thread was not to have someone diagnose if my board is bad or not. It was to get some insight on why NE isnt letting me refund this board. I have tried and tried everything I can think of but when I go to the Abit website and many people are having them same issuses as me, I wouldn't think that I have a bad motherboard. Actually with the crazy logic of just RMAing the mobo will cost even more money for NE. That will mean that I sent them back a working motherboard and they ship me back another working motherboard. Does that still mean I won't be able to cold boot my cpu without restting the CMOS? Does that mean I still will have to disable all the sensors in the bios? Probably. THen what, Ill have the same situation that I want my money back and NE has 2 used mobos on their hands. All this I knew from other people experiences from Abit's message boards.

NO ONE and I repeat NO ONE!!!!!! has been able to point me to where it says anywhere on NE's site that this motherboard is not returnable. That ambiguous statement about warranty being through manufacturer is bogus. A warranty implies a fix for a broken motherboard. Not a disolvement of a return policy.

Have you had the board more than 30 days?

If not....
If not get an RMA online for a "repair" (that should be the only option you have). Call them up explain your situation. I'd almost be willing to bet you a new board that they refund it.

As I stated in my first post, I went through the EXACT same thing. (in terms of bad board and not having the option online to refund it.)

And yes, Newegg does not warranty boards. HOWEVER, their (in my opinion fairly clear) return policy states that if an item is within a 30 day window (from date of purchase) it can and more than likely will be refunded. With the exception of some procs and refurb items.

If you buy a 120 steak and it sucks they will MOST CERTAINLY replace your dinner with a different item. As long as they aren't giving you back the 120 bucks you will get near zero argument or fuss EVER.

You're partially right, if the steak sucks they'll get you another steak, which would be the same as RMA's the abit board for the same abit board becuase the first one sucked, but they're not going to give you something else and be very happy about it, because you failed to read a menu correctly. and that's where bad customer service comes from. People dealing with consumers who have no idea what they want and when they choose wrong think it's the companies fault.

I don't see how it's childish whining to understand that if a mobo isn't working how it should, you can get a replacement of the same one, which is the service NE provides. It's not NE's job to test every board they send out, nor is it their job to be a trade in service for people who aren't happy with a working board. He paid for a certain product, if that product is defective, which his seems to be, then he can get it replaced. He however shouldn't be able to exchange the board for a different brand, or board.

I just don't see why people think that they can get a different product if they're not happy with the one they have. If NE allows people to exchange parts, there will be people out there who will rma working parts, which they already do, simply becuase it doesn't overclock like they think it should, or a newer and better part comes out (I know that's not the case in this situation).

All major companies will have a RTV service. I am certian NE does as well. They are going to eat all of 10 or 12 bucks on each mobo order that gets returned. They made more than that off of the original purchase and will keep that if you return the board for a different in stock item of equal or near equal value

they probably do have a RTV service. but what does abit do with those boards then? they can't sell them as new, so they eat the price. and now since abit's profit margin is down they keep the prices of those boards up. So NE loses 10-15 dollars, abit loses 10-15 dollars and the consumer loses even more becuase companies won't drop their prices.

risc427 said:
Have you had the board more than 30 days?

I got the board on wednesday and by sat, I tried to return it. Thats 4 days by my count. or 8 if you date it to the day I placed my order.

bigbadgreen said:
It's not NE's job to test every board they send out, nor is it their job to be a trade in service for people who aren't happy with a working board.
What exactly does SATISFACTION GUARANTEE mean? Don't take my word for it. Hear it from the horses mouth.

http://www.newegg.com/app/policyagreement.asp

1/3rd of the way down the page under "Money Back Guarantee/Refund policy"
I don't mean to be an ass but we could breakdown what that means. Satisfaction means "the fulfillment of a desire, pleasure or contentment". I have received none of these. Guarantee means "Something that assures a particular outcome or condition". I would logically deduce that means that they would assure my happiness with the product. If I wasn't happy then I would get my money back. It's not my policy its theirs. On the other hand I do agree that not every fucktard as I believe someone put it earlier should be able to get thier money back cause they couldn't overclock it enough. And I in no way disagree with the 15 percent restocking fee. I have no problem with that but I think some people on here are taking it to the other extreme of offering no customer service just because there are some people who would take advantage of the lenient return policy. I know I'm not taking advantage of anything cause I am genuinely disgusted with how this board performs. Not how it overclocks but how it performs its central critical functions.

i'm not trying to be a prick, but I think you and everyone else in the thread should quit trying to decipher newegg's policies. Just do the RMA and call them. I bet your problems are solved and you will then understand their satisfaction guaranteed policy.

Sorry, but they don't. They don't make squat. That's the way it works in the online marketplace. And that is why they have policies like they do. Someone else said $5, which is pretty spot on in terms of most of their product. I am sorry but I have seen the costs that my distributors pay, and I am not talking some wholesaler in Cali, I am talking about companies like Tech Data, ASI, and D&H that buy in more quantity than newegg dreams of buying. And you know what, distributors some times make as little as $1.15 on a processor, but its in the quantity they sell. Same with newegg, they may only make a couple bucks, but they count on

a. selling alot of product to make up for it.
b. selling some products (notebooks, like I mentioned before) that have a bit better margin.

You take a look at even some B&M guys like Campo, Circuit City, Best Buy...ever wonder why a $6.00 Belkin cable costs $30..or they push the worthless xtra warranties...is becuase they make crap on everything else, and those xtras are where they get the real cash..

The above is not opinion as so many other people spout off here, the above info is fact.

jgn77 said:
I got the board on wednesday and by sat, I tried to return it. Thats 4 days by my count. or 8 if you date it to the day I placed my order.

What exactly does SATISFACTION GUARANTEE mean? Don't take my word for it. Hear it from the horses mouth.

http://www.newegg.com/app/policyagreement.asp

1/3rd of the way down the page under "Money Back Guarantee/Refund policy"
I don't mean to be an ass but we could breakdown what that means. Satisfaction means "the fulfillment of a desire, pleasure or contentment". I have received none of these. Guarantee means "Something that assures a particular outcome or condition". I would logically deduce that means that they would assure my happiness with the product. If I wasn't happy then I would get my money back. It's not my policy its theirs. On the other hand I do agree that not every fucktard as I believe someone put it earlier should be able to get thier money back cause they couldn't overclock it enough. And I in no way disagree with the 15 percent restocking fee. I have no problem with that but I think some people on here are taking it to the other extreme of offering no customer service just because there are some people who would take advantage of the lenient return policy. I know I'm not taking advantage of anything cause I am genuinely disgusted with how this board performs. Not how it overclocks but how it performs its central critical functions.

I understand about the issue with the board and how it feels. I had an AV8 with the same if not similar problems as you are having. I got it fixed and now the board works great. I also understand that the point of you starting this thread wasnt to diagnose and fix the problem either. Just figured that because I have seen this issue and fixed mine thru diagnostic procedure that i might be able to help you with yours so you could have a correctly functional machine. I can also understand your frustration of how you feel with the policy that New Egg has adopted. But what I think everyone has been trying to explain is that you cant and shouldnt blame New Egg for the addoption of this policy due to all the fucktards that screwed it all up so such policy was created.To many other Idiots with boards that they couldnt get to clock the way they wanted so send it back and get a different one or get my money back. Or to many idiots that got the board in a rush and then saw something different they wanted 2 weeks later and pulled the same bullshit. Cant blame New Egg or the manufacture for CYA because of those idiots.If they let it continue it could very well destroy them. It sounds as though you have a legitimate issue and definitly dont fall into the category of one of those idiots but unfortunatly the policys that companies are making must be fair and for them to be that way they have to create a balnket policy that is for everyone not the few or the select. I belive that you will find that more and more compnies that are in this bussiness are going to be adopting such policy to weed out all the idiots. once again if I were to be mad or dissapointed at anyone it would be the people that ruined a good thing by abusing it.

The Cpt.

Well, after some tinkering with my new msi board, I felt very happy with they way it performed and thought I would just sell the Abit on Ebay. I thought even though my emails had failed that I would call tem for one last shot. After explaining my situation, they issued me a refund RMA and said they were sorry about the mix up. I told them thank you and that I was indeed satisfied with this outcome. I feel very comfortable with shopping with them and will keep reccommending them to everyone.

Just a side note, when I started this thread, the title was Newegg is making me nervous. After a few misdirected emails I was about to give up. Thank you to the guy who told me to call them cause that really saved my situation. I didn't immediately think that I was going to get screwed and I started this thread to get some insight on this no return policy. It is still my contention that they should be more forthcoming with their no return policy on motherboards and not just say warranty is through manufacturer.

So, should I not buy from newegg anymore? I just had to send back an Antec PSU and had no problems getting my money back without them jacking my restocking fee.

Me: "Voltages are low."
Them: "Ok."
Me: "I want a different model and I don't want the restocking fee."
Them: "Sure thing!"

Should I not buy IF I think I might need an RMA on an item that says "Manufct'd only."

jgn77 said:
Well, after some tinkering with my new msi board, I felt very happy with they way it performed and thought I would just sell the Abit on Ebay. I thought even though my emails had failed that I would call tem for one last shot. After explaining my situation, they issued me a refund RMA and said they were sorry about the mix up. I told them thank you and that I was indeed satisfied with this outcome. I feel very comfortable with shopping with them and will keep reccommending them to everyone.

Just a side note, when I started this thread, the title was Newegg is making me nervous. After a few misdirected emails I was about to give up. Thank you to the guy who told me to call them cause that really saved my situation. I didn't immediately think that I was going to get screwed and I started this thread to get some insight on this no return policy. It is still my contention that they should be more forthcoming with their no return policy on motherboards and not just say warranty is through manufacturer.

Seems like the problem was solved with common sense!

Newegg is still a great seller in my book.

jgn77 said:

Wait a minute. You were talking about their LACK of customer service and you never CALLED their FREE 1-800 number?? I editted myself, but I think your actions speak for themselves....

jgn77 said:
Well, after some tinkering with my new msi board, I felt very happy with they way it performed and thought I would just sell the Abit on Ebay.
BTW, who turns around and sells a motherboard with "known issues" on eBay? I assume you were going to list that the board did not work correctly right? I'm glad you were able to return it, but that would not be cool to do to someone...

Good grief. I'm astounded you didn't call them. Everyone should know by now that even when dealing with the best companies when you're having a problem never rely on email alone (or at all except as a followup measure). Calling them is by far the best approach.

I'm glad you've finally learned that and hopefully someone else will as well.

jterrell said:
Feel free to shop NE for mobo's. Feel free to advise friends and family to.
While you are worried about subsidizing jobs I am worried about getting quality customer service for parts I purchase. I wouldn't be buying computer parts if I couldn't afford to pay for quality. The beautiful thing about the free enterprise system is we can all decide what we want to pay and what limits we accept on customer service.

Personally I think anyone who would spend a couple of grand on a pc deserves the ability to exchange any aspects of the system they wish provided it isn't working as they expected and they do so in a reasonable period of time.

Phreak has acknowledged he stopped selling ABIT boards, Monarch offers select boards and updates the BIOS for you, other companies do the same. NE is behind the times on mobos.

In this case I am sure NE lost a customer from the guy with the initial problem. He can't get his mobo to work. The more customers they lose the more they will CHARGE you.

TigerDirect has this same weird transformation from industry bellcow to mediocre to outright outcast. Customer service always pays off in the end.
Jterrell, it sounds to me like the guy hasn't even tried to exchange the mainboard yet, or talk to NewEgg. I mean, it IS entirely possible that one out of every xx number is defective. And yet, as consumers, too many people develop the unrealistic expectation that every purchasing transaction will go perfect every time, and they scream when it doesn't happen...even when there are steps to remedy the situation, such as exchanging the board for one of the same model. Instead, I think the original poster is going off half-cocked, when there are options open to him, such as getting the board exchanged through NE, or doing an RMA through Abit; I think he's suddenly gunshy of the product he himself chose.
NE's policies are clearly stated...you make a choice of vendors, and if you don't like their policies, you choose to order from somewhere else before you place the transaction. If you've tested absolutely everything (and I can't say for sure, though it could be a mainboard) why not exchange for a new one? There are plenty of people who own this board and are satisfied; it's too bad you may be the one out of 30 that got a defective board, but surely their reports count for something.

EDIT: Just read your solution. Glad things worked out for you...but if you didn't even call them for clarification, then I can definitely say you went off half-cocked. Being patient and actually trying to contact NE or Abit probably would have saved you a lot of grief, and this thread. I've placed a few dozen orders with them over the past five plus years...only had one defective item, and they handled it perfectly, all I had to do was call.

btw i wouldnt say neo-2 is tried and true, alot of people have it but there alot of problems that come with it

Back