Newegg has become Usedegg.

Gibzilla

Gawd
Something must be going down hill at newegg. If you look at my sig i've been an ardent support of newegg. After all these years, i'm sad to announce neweggs is pulling "a zipzoomfly" sending used stuff as new. Case in point check this used game controller they sent me.

Picture-055.jpg

Does that look new to you? I mean It's less than 1 second old from it's packaging. Besides you either know it's new or not right away. I'd suggest you direct your purchases to www.mwave.com. For those in socal, they have willcall so you see what you are getting.

I dunno maybe they just don't like my money. anyway i'm bored tonite and I thought i'd share this little tidbit. :) You have been warned.

That's a shame to hear, considering that I just bought some new RAM from them...

From the looks of the controller though, if you are referring to the scratches or "dark spots" I have seen new items (like game systems and accessories) that share the same defects... just food for thought.

have you gotten a series of used products that make you come to the conclusion of "newegg going downhill" ?

Sometimes plastic has marks in it like that. Are there any fingerprints or anything?

Aztlan said:
have you gotten a series of used products that make you come to the conclusion of "newegg going downhill" ?

Yeah, supposedly a brand spanking new motherboard with fingerprints all over. Just like this one, it was working fine but it leaves bitter after taste afterwards. :rolleyes:

Over all they are pretty good but. this sending used shit as new is an insult to my intelligence.

There were alot more scratches when i first opened it up. but I tested it's functionality by playing a game and it seems pressure of my hand a bit of sweat erased quite a few.

In the end i guess it's their word againt mine. I've been told by someone long time ago when I started in computers., "Keep your supplier within choking distance". I'm gonna stick to Fry's and Mwave willcall. :)

Btw, I'm not even going to bother trying to RMA this out of principle. Not worth my time.

Hmm, i thought from the pics that he was refering to the stickers on the thing. Those stickers screamed "USED" to me.

kick@ss said:
Sometimes plastic has marks in it like that. Are there any fingerprints or anything?

Nope but there some cleaning residue around the buttons. I tried taking the photo but it's too hard to tell in the picture.

I bought an Abit max2 v2 mobo from them a year ago.. the plastic cover was cracked open.. I suspected it was returned before me.. but it was a big upgrade so I didnt wanna wait another week to get a replacement... I was pissed nonetheless

Emret said:
I bought an Abit max2 v2 mobo from them a year ago.. the plastic cover was cracked open.. I suspected it was returned before me.. but it was a big upgrade so I didnt wanna wait another week to get a replacement... I was pissed nonetheless

Yep, it's a bitter pill to swallow. But what can you do.... All we can do is not patronize same vendor again. it's really too bad. Even though, I'm just one dude, i've been buying from them since 2000 and up until recently i've told my co-workers and friends and even my parents to buy from newegg.

Yeah, supposedly a brand spanking new motherboard with fingerprints all over. Just like this one, it was working fine but it leaves bitter after taste afterwards.

OMGFINGERPRINTS!!1!1

god forbid someone touched your hardware after it left the matter compiler that's hooked upto the main feed-line in taiwan. i could see if there was grape jelly all over it, but a little round sticker or a fingerprint? what if it was an employee doing a random QC check to make sure the product wasn't defective ....like, on your behalf... like, as a personal favor to you?

the plastic cover was cracked open.. ....I was pissed nonetheless

i mean seriously... do you guys even use the hardware, or just bury it out back still in the wrapper? when you install it, do you actually hold it in your hand (gasp!), or do you just "wish" it into the desired expansion slot?

maybe it's just me... :confused: :eek:

It's just you; when I buy a new product, I want a product that is brand new and has never been used, not one that is just new to me

bjork said:
OMGFINGERPRINTS!!1!1

god forbid someone touched your hardware after it left the matter compiler that's hooked upto the main feed-line in taiwan. i could see if there was grape jelly all over it, but a little round sticker or a fingerprint? what if it was an employee doing a random QC check to make sure the product wasn't defective ....like, on your behalf... like, as a personal favor to you?

i mean seriously... do you guys even use the hardware, or just bury it out back still in the wrapper? when you install it, do you actually hold it in your hand (gasp!), or do you just "wish" it into the desired expansion slot?

maybe it's just me... :confused: :eek:

Are you too dumb to understand that those finger prints or cracks in the cover might have been done by another person who bought the same item, used it, didnt like it and/or it was defective and returned it back to newegg.. thus newegg selling you a defective and/or a used item

use your brain

Craftish said:
It's just you; when I buy a new product, I want a product that is brand new and has never been used, not one that is just new to me

Maybe it was hand-tested?

Emret said:
Are you too dumb to understand that those finger prints or cracks in the cover might have been done by another person who bought the same item, used it, didnt like it and/or it was defective and returned it back to newegg.. thus newegg selling you a defective and/or a used item

use your brain

Are you too dumb to understand that fingerprints aren't necessarily evidence of shady dealings? Some hardware manufacturers actually make sure their stuff works, and some retailers actually make sure the stuff they're sending out isn't broken. Sometimes, this may involve touching. Yes, getting used when you order new sucks, but getting something with a crack in the case or some smudges isn't the end of the world. Sometimes you just have to deal with crap.

Use YOUR brain

*As an aside, based upon how Gibzilla mangled the packaging opening the controller, I'd say it was sealed, so if it was used/refurbished, NewEgg probably didn't have a clue.*

Also, don't forget not all of the people in shipping are nice people, or even close to honest.

after about 4 hours of testing on NFSU2. I found out why it was returned to newegg in the first place. Left control pad is sticking to the right. sigh. Now I got no choice but to RMA.

i deal with mwave and newegg all the time, ALL time time, i order atleast 20grand of computer parts a month between the two companies.

Mwave.com and newegg.com are both great, but they get occasional piss poor products sent. I've had a motherboard come with sticky crap on it, looked like sap.. that was on the rma .. i find this very sad as i spend so much money there.. they sent me a refurbished board.. that wasn't refurbished properly.. they cpu mount was also removed there was the sticky stuff from that on the underside of the board as well.. (from mwave)... and just recently i ordered 12 cathode lights, none worked they were "mwave" brand... tried diff power supplies let other people try just incase i became retarded overnight. nope nope and nope. again from mwave.. money refund got a diff brand, after calling them ~ apparently none of them worked at all, for any that they sold.

newegg has a very shameful LCD return policy... 8pixel or more dead to send back.. i have to kill extra so i can send em back.. because im not gonna send 300-600 bucks to get a 97% working product... espically when i gotta look at it all day, not to mention my customers wont accept a dead pixel screen.

Now both companies send me bad sticks of ram dead mobo dead cpu's "all the time" atleast 3-8 dead products a week.. and FedEx ~ UPS are probably responsible for 1/4 of em dead... but these products passed around atleast 4 times before it gets to me.. not to mention there are people at newegg that package things... they can tamper with things =/

I've recieved CRT that actually had the screen knocked in.... the glass part was actually pushed in wasn't attached to the frame, all screws broken off.

If newegg and mwave tested everything they sent you prices go up availablity goes down, and no one wants that. everyone enjoys theres 1-2day shipping.... and fedex ~ ups has to get to companies before close... those fedex ~ ups guys beat the crap outa boxes.. and the way they drive those trucks.. :eek: :eek:

anyways tah-tah

Been buying computer parts from them since '01 and spent probably a grand or more and Ive never had one problem

I switched shopping from mwave.com to newegg.com several years ago for this exact reason. Mwave sent me a mobo that had dust buildup on the chipset fan. The board was DOA. I was also sent a used power supply in a new case from them. After much fighting with mwave for a return and working product and actually being called a liar by customer support there I decided enough is enough and they have not seen another dime from me ever since. Since that time period I have dropped over 5 grand with newegg building various computers for people and have not had 1 single negative issue. I hope newegg isnt sliding but in your case it does look refurbed to me.

todlerix said:
newegg has a very shameful LCD return policy... 8pixel or more dead to send back.. i have to kill extra so i can send em back.. because im not gonna send 300-600 bucks to get a 97% working product... espically when i gotta look at it all day, not to mention my customers wont accept a dead pixel screen.

You do realize that 8 dead pixels is a vast improvement over most manufactuer's own warrantys, right?

In NewEgg's defense, they do sell REFURBISHED items, especially joysticks/gamepads. Perhaps all this is just a minor shipping error. The minimum-wager just grabbed the wrong box.

aBSoLuT_0 said:
In NewEgg's defense, they do sell REFURBISHED items, especially joysticks/gamepads. Perhaps all this is just a minor shipping error. The minimum-wager just grabbed the wrong box.

exactly what i was thinking, i mean c'mon, look at the ammount of GOOD reviews that newegg has.

i have been buying products from them since 2001 and since then spent over $10,000 worth of computer parts for my own use and not had ONE problem. i just got done buying a 20.1 inch LCD for $825, if i have had any problems with this company in the past i sure as hell wouldnt have spend that much money on an lcd over the net. think about how many orders they do a DAY, u cant expect EVERY shipment to be perfect, its just not possible, there are so many variables. that controller might have been returned and one of the workers saw it on a table not knowing it was a return, or it accidentally got put in the wrong basket or something so it went back on to the warehouse. it just sounds to me like you are saying they are doing this on purpose and i dont think they are, its a simple mistake and if u kalled them i am sure they would resolve the issue, but its such a cheap product who really cares? these are the things that staples and wal-mart is good for...

damn I should have taking a pic of my "brand new" antec neo 480. My shit was sealed and looked new, I opened it up and the damn thing was pried open or seemed like it. THe fuckin thing was pried really poorly also, shit almost sliced my finger wide open. It did work though and it was my second one after having a DOA the first time. I just kept quiet and still use it now. Not 100% happy like I used to be.

Now that i hear this, I kinda want to return it agian, but that will be another week without my pc and I've already sleeved my cables :mad: :mad:

:mad:

This thread should REALLY get moved to General Hardware. Lots more people participate in there and there is a NEWEGG worker that reads at this forum here from time to time. Hopefull they would see this and change. :mad:

I just bought a 9800se from Newegg that's memory clock is way lower than was advertized, and it won't even overclock to that speed. I'm not gonna RMA it though cause I can't live without my computer for another 2 weeks :(

If you ever return something to walmart......the shit goes right back on the shelf so it can be sold again!! GASP better go start to bash walmart. Actually i'm pretty positive every retail chain will do this! Call up the calvery boys!

I don't think newegg will test a controller, if the thing was returned and sold again....just like any other retail place....I don't see what the issue is. But it could have been a referb directly from the manufactuer, repackaged as new and sent back out to be sold once again. You have no idea how many, who could have touched that controller before you got it.

EVERY retailer (online or store) places returned products back in new circulation. In part because many perfectly good products are returned because the buyer simply did not like it or could not get it to work properly for whatever reason, or in the case at BestBuy they buy it, apply for the rebate and then return the product. (How much RAM do you think get's returned because the buyer bought the wrong type, or the user simply could not seat it properly?) The difference between good and bad retailers in this regard is what they do to determine what products get reintroduced. Unscrupulous retailers probably don't even bother checking if a returned product works or not, they repackage and send it back out. (I'm guessing we'd be surprised at how much broken stuff sold as new is NOT returned). I assume some retailers at least do a visual check, which for computer parts is normally useless, before putting back. And some actually test the product.

I am willing to guess that NewEgg tests them. Now this is a quick test. In the case of the controller I bet the original buyer broke it, sent it back. NewEgg does a quick test and it seems to work fine. Back in circulation.

I am 100% sure if you asked to return the product for a different one NewEgg would oblige with no hassles. I do agree that you have a right to be upset if you get a product sold as new and it obviously is not, at least at NewEgg you can return it.

aBSoLuT_0 said:

I highly doubt it was that. B/c I noticed everything else looks brand new, i.e. manuals, CD and the plastic package. It looks like someone took the time and effort to repackage the product to pass for new. It's just that whoever it was at newegg or saitek factory never bothered to checked the controller for functionality and cosmetics.

Coming from some computer factory experience i'd have to say it's not a factory refurb since at the factory you can really return it to OEM specs alas prestine clean and perfect working condition. So, my guess is that it was done at newegg by newegg employee knowingly and intentionally.

I don't know how prevalent it is at newegg but they must be getting alot of returns but is that MY problem?

lastly, i just noticed this . if you look at the newegg website. new saitek controller's come with yellow warning label attached to the usb cord. look..
26-127-503-06.JPG

but mine's like this.
Picture057.jpg

I guess putting the warning stickers back on is trickier than newegg employee's can handle. *snicker*. Man i hate fucking returning stuff via mail. it's such a hassle.

I see more then just the stickers are different, The Lines around the D-pad are not the same, also the buttons look different as well. Yours also says Dual analog and the other says P880 dual analog. Maybe yours is a newer/older model?

Mongoose

Gibzilla said:
I highly doubt it was that. B/c I noticed everything else looks brand new, i.e. manuals, CD and the plastic package. It looks like someone took the time and effort to repackage the product to pass for new. It's just that whoever it was at newegg or saitek factory never bothered to checked the controller for functionality and cosmetics.

Coming from some computer factory experience i'd have to say it's not a factory refurb since at the factory you can really return it to OEM specs alas prestine clean and perfect working condition. So, my guess is that it was done at newegg by newegg employee knowingly and intentionally.

I don't know how prevalent it is at newegg but they must be getting alot of returns but is that MY problem?

lastly, i just noticed this . if you look at the newegg website. new saitek controller's come with yellow warning label attached to the usb cord. look..
26-127-503-06.JPG

but mine's like this.
Picture057.jpg

I guess putting the warning stickers back on is trickier than newegg employee's can handle. *snicker*. Man i hate fucking returning stuff via mail. it's such a hassle.

My controller is practictly the same one, well maybe a step up. Its the p2500 Dual Shock from Saitek (mine) and if it counts as anything, I bought it at Fry's for $45 bucks and it didnt have the warning sticker on the cord-- just plain ol twist tie and it was NOT refurbished, brand new shrink wrapped.

A link to mine: http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/p2500.htm

todlerix said:
newegg has a very shameful LCD return policy... 8pixel or more dead to send back.. i have to kill extra so i can send em back..

THAT is the shameful part. You can disagree with their policy all you want, you still bought from them knowing the policy. You are nothing but a pathetic little theif.

warsawtag said:
i dont see anything strange aobut the controller... ??

-warsaw

Same here. The sticker could easily be a Q.C. sticker. Also, if the 'marks' came off for the most part just by you sweating on it and putting normal use pressure on it.....any other marks shouldn't have caused you any concern, not all products come from the floor 100% imperfection free. There are certain tolerances that can be had, plus....that is just plastic being plastic.

CellBlock said:
Are you too dumb to understand that fingerprints aren't necessarily evidence of shady dealings? Some hardware manufacturers actually make sure their stuff works, and some retailers actually make sure the stuff they're sending out isn't broken. Sometimes, this may involve touching. Yes, getting used when you order new sucks, but getting something with a crack in the case or some smudges isn't the end of the world. Sometimes you just have to deal with crap.

Use YOUR brain

*As an aside, based upon how Gibzilla mangled the packaging opening the controller, I'd say it was sealed, so if it was used/refurbished, NewEgg probably didn't have a clue.*

Use YOUR brain...

Fingerprints on hardware, thats a huge sign of shady returned-sell-as-new dealings; especially on motherboards. I'll give the manufacturers credit for hand testing stuff, but its just about required to be done while wearing anti-static gloves; especially on motherboards. You think the manufacturers don't know what customers think about fingerprints? Even the internet idiot Maddox knows that fingerprints are bad.

Gibzilla said:

26-127-503-06.JPG

but mine's like this.
Picture057.jpg

if thats the picture of the controller u ordered, u better send it back anyways because its not the same one, look at the arrows on the controller, they are different... and yes we all hate the hassle of returning stuff through snail mail, but thats the chance u take for cheaper internet prices, i do feel for ya, cause it sux when this happens, but u just gotta take a look at the whole picture... now if u send it back and u get another used item, then its tyme to look bad upon the company, but i doubt that will happen...

i've ordered parts from newegg, mobo, ram, case, proc, radon 9500 and prolly some other stuff. when i was ordering my new mobo they sent me one that was all screwed up, nothing would work with it, it would like boot up, but never get to the bios. then i RMA it and get a replacement, it was totally DOA, same board. and then i just sent it back for money and went to a local overpriced guy so that if it didn't work again i could just hand it back to him, and i ended up paying like 30 bucks more for a board that was much more on the low end of shit. i'm kinda pissed i did it but i was going on like 2 months without a pc.

I've ordered about 4 full computers from newegg and never had any problems.

Stuff happens. Not everyone is honest in every industry.

However, I think the real question in the integrity of Newegg is whether or not they will honor an RMA, and provide support in the event that there is a problem with your order.

I had to RMA a motherboard and memory once from a computer I was building for a client. The mobo was dead, as was the memory. Newegg payed for shipping both ways, and upgraded me to 2-day air on the way back.

I realize that it is a problem, but keep in mind that Newegg is vastly larger than it was a year or two ago, and a lot of times more orders = more mistakes get reported.

I'm not condoning the practice...however, keep in mind that it happens.

May not be fair. But it happens.

are you sure the dpad is messed up? sometimes my saitek goes to the right, and it just needs to be recalibrated.

If you post on reselleratings newegg will do whatever it takes to make you happy and get your rating up to "very satisfied". And I do mean whatever it takes... you'll be called on the telephone within a day.

It's a pity that's necessary, though.

Back