Newegg gone crazy sales - 6800, PC3200, etc

Unit-0 said:
6800NU is better than 9800 pro 128.

alot better?, like hows it compare to x800 pro and 6800 GT?

and assume the 9800 is at xt speeds :)

I dont remember seeing the NU in any of the [H] benchmarks but i can look again

edit: read the anandtech benches. beats the 9800 xt in almost every feild, by lot in some cases, and won almost evey time for best value (performance for the price)

purchased the nec....we'll see how she handles.....damn dSLR raw picture files are gigantic.

the 6800nu is good but still the tail end of the x800, 6800 series, I believe although this was before sm3 came with farcry benchies.. might have changed.

~Adam

If you wanna spend close to $300 on a vid card the 6800NU is about the best you can do, its trailing the X800pro but just barely in most cases, plus if you do any video work it pwns.

Peace.

it's cl3 ram in other words it has loose latency timings, so it's basically cheap ram..

you could OC the cl timings but I dont know exactly how good it would do..

~Adam

Unit-0 said:
6800NU is better than 9800 pro 128.

It outperforms 9800 pro buy alot. Anandtech had a recent article on BFG's 6800 and 6800U which compared performance to the 6800GT and the whole ATI line of cards.

www.anandtech.com

Sorry, don't have the exact link as their website seems to be down at this particular time.

CleanSlate said:
it's cl3 ram in other words it has loose latency timings, so it's basically cheap ram..

~Adam

I dont know too much about the timings of ram, so if its says its CL3 ram, what would all the numbers be? I have seen people say that there ram is 2-2-2-3, is that what this ram is? ..or would it be 3-3-3-3 ? :confused:

CraftyOtter said:
It outperforms 9800 pro buy alot. Anandtech had a recent article on BFG's 6800 and 6800U which compared performance to the 6800GT and the whole ATI line of cards.

www.anandtech.com

Sorry, don't have the exact link as their website seems to be down at this particular time.

yeah ive read taht review, the performance / price graph makes the 6800 look like the obvious choice if you dont have 400+ to spend, but if you take their equation 10*log(100*performance/cost) and change teh 9800xt cost to $200 (price for 9800pro which can OC to same performance) and the 6800 cost to $250 (buy.com presale) or $280 (newegg) then recalculate them. The 9800 xt is now at the top beating the 6800 in value most of the time minus a few game such as the quake 3 engine games where nvida cards rape.

but looking at taht you reconsider, I hvae decided to wait for doom 3 to come out, im sure a 9800xt is plenty for hl2, even my 9600 pro could run it good enough. But if theres not a huge dif on doom 3 between the 2 cards ill get the 9800.

KoDt said:
yeah ive read taht review, the performance / price graph makes the 6800 look like the obvious choice if you dont have 400+ to spend, but if you take their equation 10*log(100*performance/cost) and change teh 9800xt cost to $200 (price for 9800pro which can OC to same performance) and the 6800 cost to $250 (buy.com presale) or $280 (newegg) then recalculate them. The 9800 xt is now at the top beating the 6800 in value most of the time minus a few game such as the quake 3 engine games where nvida cards rape.

but looking at taht you reconsider, I hvae decided to wait for doom 3 to come out, im sure a 9800xt is plenty for hl2, even my 9600 pro could run it good enough. But if theres not a huge dif on doom 3 between the 2 cards ill get the 9800.

I thought NVidia's cards ran Doom3 much faster.... :confused:

I dont know how they list this sale like this i mean most of the prices are only dropped about 5-10 bucks max except the dvd-rs, that is a GOOD deal :)

cirial said:
I dont know too much about the timings of ram, so if its says its CL3 ram, what would all the numbers be? I have seen people say that there ram is 2-2-2-3, is that what this ram is? ..or would it be 3-3-3-3 ? :confused:

No no actually CL3 just refers to the "overall" speed/quality of the ram (speed and quality are sort of interchangeable IMO since good ram = good speed, etc). The CL# means that the first number of the set is the # and the CL just refers to latency. CL3 ram could be 3-1-1-1-1, or 3-99-99-99-99, in other words it doesn't matter what the first number is in relation to the other numbers at least not to my knowledge. With that said there is a "correlation" between it and the other numbers.. say you buy CL2 ram it ussually runs at 2-3-2-6 (the last number is erroneous, however) and then again u buy CL3 ram and it ussually runs about 3-3-3-6 or 3-4-4-6. The lower the better. Then there is CL2.5 which is ussually about 2.5-3-2-6. So really it doesn't matter what the CL# is in relation to the other ram but it most isntances be a good indicator of the other numbers. I'd suggest if you OC get <=CL2.5 ram, 2.5 ram is ussually found in "bargain" ram whereas CL2 ram with all 2's is the highest quality out to my knowledge. Then there are the in-between CL2 and CL2.5 which do 2-3-3-6 or 2-3-2-6 timings which are good ram sticks, just not the best.

I'm sure someone has a good link for you on ram timings, enough of my rudimentary knowledge-ramblings.

~Adam

I've never had a CL3 stick of crucial ram that wouldn't do CL2 without problems. I've had multiple sticks of SDRAM, DDR, and ECC DDR that all did it without issue. It'd be coold if we could pool a database together of different memory types and speed grades and running the ram at lower timings than its rated for

CleanSlate said:

~Adam

Not quite... It's basic NON-overclocker-crazy ram that's from Crucial. Crucial=reliability.

And like the previous poster said, never had a stick of crucial that wouldn't do CL2 at default speeds.

Matt Woller said:
Best Buy had a thing going on a good 6months ago... 50 pack CD-Rs online for $10.00, no tax, no shipping and buy one get one free. That's $.10 per CD-R. Crazy. :(
You do know these are DVD-R's right? :confused:

I don't usually buy cd-r's unless their FAR, like every black friday at BB

well I just bought the DVD burner. For $79 I think it was worth a chance. Plus all the reviews I saw for it were really good.

Guys, I already jumped on the 6800. It should be here Thursday. I'll try to remember to let you guys know how it runs for me. FYI, I am replacing my 9800pro with it. Let's hope its worth the money.

Man, I wish i could've picked up that dual layer instead of the similar single layer NEC DVDRW... paid the same for it too. :(

Warriorprophet said:
Crucial PC3200 CL3 512mb stick $78
Geil Value PC3200 512mb stick $82

You can get a 512 MB stick of Corsair CAS 2.5 Value RAM for only a dollar more on ZipZoomFly.

Cool I made fromt page. Everyone enjoy these prices, looks like they may wrap up with this week, some things are going out of stock.

Jeez newegg is crazy! They dropped $6 off the msrp of the 6800! :rolleyes:

I really want one, but cant decide if its worth paying another $100 for the GT.

Jozone said:
Jeez newegg is crazy! They dropped $6 off the msrp of the 6800! :rolleyes:

I really want one, but cant decide if its worth paying another $100 for the GT.

Almost everyone that's posted about OCing their GT has stated to being able to OC to a 6800 Ultra or higher. So............

Myself, I'm going to wait for the initial price to drop slightly, then I'm picking up a BFG GT.

Back