Newegg carries first AMD mini-itx board....ugh

For a few bucks LESS you can get a Mini-ITX at Logic Supply that supports Merom(Core 2 Duo)(1) and has a PCI-Express X16 slot.

(1) new BIOS at manufacturer website for Merom support

it is "cute" :| ..a lot packed in there

no one could straighten the heatsink b4 the pic...

VulturEMaN said:
I'd still rather grab one of these:
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/78_55/products_id/489
and drop one of them 1000$ processors in it and use it as a wireless router + gaming computer. XD
Anyone know if it works with Core3 Duo chips?

Shit, I've been waiting for that Albatron board, I kept hoping that it would be around the $200 mark so that it's *atleast* an option. Damn, I might have to get one with a Turion for a built. You'd think that for that price they're bundle the component/svideo out cable with it. :mad:

It would be nice if they had an AM2 one with PCI-E and a company came out with a super small case that has a 200-300 watts psu that can go over it...add a X800 and you are set :)

I wish they would make these suckers at a better price. If this thing was more towards the 200 dollar mark I'd be all over it for a router project.

Steeeeve said:
It would be nice if they had an AM2 one with PCI-E and a company came out with a super small case that has a 200-300 watts psu that can go over it...add a X800 and you are set :)

Do you really think that a mini-ITX case could handle all that heat output?

InorganicMatter said:
Do you really think that a mini-ITX case could handle all that heat output?

Here's the secret: Get a tall passive CPU and NB cooler, and design a case where the psu sits right above the mobo (like 1cm from touching the heatsinks :p) with a 140mm fan and pumps all the air out. That's all you'd need. Plus an air vent in the front.

Keep in mind that most of these are made to handle commercial challenges without fans. They can handle being semi-passive :D

VulturEMaN said:
Here's the secret: Get a tall passive CPU and NB cooler, and design a case where the psu sits right above the mobo (like 1cm from touching the heatsinks :p) with a 140mm fan and pumps all the air out. That's all you'd need. Plus an air vent in the front.

Keep in mind that most of these are made to handle commercial challenges without fans. They can handle being semi-passive :D

I dunno why you'd put it in a case that could support a 140mm fan. The board is small, and if you're going to spend the cash you're probably looking for a small case to put it in.

mr saturn said:
I dunno why you'd put it in a case that could support a 140mm fan. The board is small, and if you're going to spend the cash you're probably looking for a small case to put it in.

The board has appox. the same dimensions as a normal sized PSU, so if you were to use slimline cd/floppy/hdd, then it wouldn't be much worse than 3-4 inches taller. I'd rather have something that can deliver me raw power in such a small package then have to worry about cooling with a 300W mini-psu making enough heat as it is.

And Steeeve, my 'friends' are telling me that commell will be rolling out a AMD Quad core m-itx board as soon as the processors are available. Which sounds interesting as hell :D

Interesting.

I really want a mini-ITX board that is AM2, 2 Dimm slots, PCI express, and thats it.

Steeeeve said:
Interesting.

I really want a mini-ITX board that is AM2, 2 Dimm slots, PCI express, and thats it.

Networking-wise, I'd also want a mini-pci slot for a wireless card or atleast gig-e.

And support for ram voltages atleast up to 2.0...

and a friggin firewire header. I would never use it, but I hate having a case with a front firewire port and not being able to use it :/

on a sidethought, has AMD announced what they're gonna call their quad core procs yet? maybe AM4? :p

VulturEMaN said:
Networking-wise, I'd also want a mini-pci slot for a wireless card or atleast gig-e.

And support for ram voltages atleast up to 2.0...

and a friggin firewire header. I would never use it, but I hate having a case with a front firewire port and not being able to use it :/

on a sidethought, has AMD announced what they're gonna call their quad core procs yet? maybe AM4? :p

AM2+ is what its gonna be.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=679375&starttime=0&endtime=0

Steeeeve said:
Interesting.

I agree Steeeeeve, and if the price were reasonable I'd put those in SG-01's just so I could look at it and say to myself, "Wow, look at how roomy this case is!" compared to cramming a normal mATX and all the related goodies into one.

VulturEMaN said:
Keep in mind that most of these are made to handle commercial challenges without fans. They can handle being semi-passive.
mr saturn said:

Actually, if you had this case already housing a standard ATX mobo, you wouldn't need to buy another case at all. You could just mount both in the same case. Of course, it's the size of a small fridge. :)

5tharrow said:
Actually, if you had this case already housing a standard ATX mobo, you wouldn't need to buy another case at all. You could just mount both in the same case. Of course, it's the size of a small fridge. :)
If you had that case you'd be a moron. Theres no reason for it.

CrimandEvil said:
If you had that case you'd be a moron. Theres no reason for it.
Well, I wouldn't buy it, but I can still be a moron for other reasons. I just pointed it out because of the discussion about airflow.

5tharrow said:
Well, I wouldn't buy it, but I can still be a moron for other reasons. I just pointed it out because of the discussion about airflow.

Nice.

Agree with that case being kinda stupid. It would be a nice server case as you could build in a mini-itx firewall and have a central point but the case doesn't look like a server case and is too expensive.

They basically made that case for the high-end home theatres of the future. If you've gone to more than enough home theatre shows (as I have), you'll see a room with over 200,000$ of just cables, and then running out to a computer audio cable for home theatre.

It's hilarious :p

I also giggle when my 2.1 planar computer speakers blow away a 10,000$ 7.1 setup for audio clarity and overall 'fun-ness' for games. Or when the included sub trounces a 2000$ model.

In the long run, this case is nothing more than something that sports stars will hold their home theatre DVD collection in.

I just want a small mini-cube that can hold a mitx board and a full size psu. Thats why I'm doing my current mod. (but it isn't gonna be a cube cause I HAVE to watercool it...gotta try it out atleast once :p).

That case makes more fuckin sense than a lot of shit I see people talking about on here. LOL

They seemed to design this pretty pathetically. Why would they couple a 10/100 controller with the onboard Nvidia GB controller (limiting yourself and saving nothing), and THEN slap on a PCIE 1X GB connector when you could have already had GB without a problem! Also no firewire, when that could be useful in its marketplace. And only 3 Audio ports when it supports 6, and use non HD audio because "the market might not use it". Thats a load of crap, as in a HTPC market it could control high end audio components. It is a neat idea but it could have been executed so much better (esp as Socket 939 or AM2 with 2 DIMM slots for more memory bandwidth for the built in GPU).
Jason

Back