Newegg and Privacy.

Safety

Limp Gawd
Hey [H], I wanted to know what you guys think about this:

About a week ago, I placed an order with Newegg and then logged out once the purchase was over. Yesterday I was looking up prices for HDDs on Newegg but did not sign in to my account. Today I get a "shopping helper" email from Newegg with a list of drives that I was viewing the day before. It seems as if Newegg is tying browsing activity to specific accounts even after they've logged out of NE.com

In contrast, a site like Amazon keeps a track of recently viewed items but clearly separates browsing activity done when logged out from activity done while logged in. I understand that you could simply clear the tracking cookie but something about this doesn't seem right to me.

TL;DR: I'm embarrassed that NE knows that I 'anonymously' looked up prices for a Hitachi Magic Wand in their household goods section, then sent me a reminder via email but had the nerve not include a coupon code. j/k :eek:

-S

I've been bugged about things I put in my cart, but not anything from general browsing.

I think I had a similar situation. I just wish the things that did make it in my cart I would get a nice discount for.

They don't need to use cookies if you used the same internet connection.

IP address...

It's bound to be cookies. IP addresses are not reliable for any serious tracking.

They don't need to use cookies if you used the same internet connection.

IP address...

Dynamic IP's, son.

The IP you have (unless you have a static ip sub) likely changes more often than you realize.. some ISP's are relentless about it, some aren't.

Dynamic IP's, son.

The IP you have (unless you have a static ip sub) likely changes more often than you realize.. some ISP's are relentless about it, some aren't.

Ive seen some renew ip's at 8 hour intervals and some a full 24 hours (most actually).

Back