Newegg $50 giftcard w/ purchase of OCZ SSD's

Unfortunately this isn't that great of a deal.

The text in the flyer is...
Free Newegg giftcard up to $50

Most of the 120Gb drives come with a $15 gift card

I don't know why everyone picks on the OCZ SSDs. I have a 200GB Vertex 2 and a 120GB Vertex 3. Rock solid, no crashes of any kind and great performance.

I don't know why everyone picks on the OCZ SSDs. I have a 200GB Vertex 2 and a 120GB Vertex 3. Rock solid, no crashes of any kind and great performance.

I said the same thing until my 120GB Vertex 3 died. not once, twice but three times. :eek:

They are still all too expensive even with the card. Either way, 1 try at an OCZ ssd was enough for me.

Which brand and model is the current best out there currently?

reliability? intel 320?

fast and reliable? Intel 520 ("fixed" sandforce) but expensive, since it just came out :(

fast and cheaper? um.... someone else input? plextor m3, crucial m4

ive had 2x vertex 2's in my desktop and laptop for over 1.5 years and never had a single problem.

I went with a Crucial M4 myself but I thought I'd look at this thread to see if all the OCZ hatred is still there.

I've never had one so I can't say either way how they are but when I was looking into getting a SSD I saw enough bad stories about OCZ to stay away.

^ this. And I'm still waiting on prices to come down some to bite the bullet on my first SSD.

Prices on SSDs look pretty damn good these days - I jumped on the SSD bandwagon about a year ago, and even though a 64GB Kingston V100 isn't anything special by today's standards, it's still way way faster than the old school drives.

I've never owned an OCZ so I can't chime in - the 15 dollar gift card is nice, but just not enough to gamble on when it comes to my data or downtime waiting for an RMA.

the 120GB sized drives seem to be the sweet spot these days - 150-200 dollars and you have a good sized reliable uber fast platform :) I might pick one up in a month or two when I can offset the cost with a few bitcoins :)

+1 on that statement! Can't justify the cost per GB on an SSD.

They're well worth the price if you can afford one.

I really noticed the difference when my boot order got mixed up and I accidentally booted my old install of Windows 7 on my 300GB velociraptor..... I didn't realize it was booting off the raptor at first and it seemed to take so long I thought it crashed.

They're well worth the price if you can afford one.

I really noticed the difference when my boot order got mixed up and I accidentally booted my old install of Windows 7 on my 300GB velociraptor..... I didn't realize it was booting off the raptor at first and it seemed to take so long I thought it crashed.

I do think I am going to find one of the smaller ones to install on a new Z68 motherboard along with my 300GB Vraptor. with the Intel Smart Response technology. I guess all you have to basically do is install a small (32 to 64gb) SSD drive along with a mechanical hard drive and it supposedly gives you SSD type performance. From what I have read it works pretty damn well also. :D

I'm rocking a OCZ Vertex 3 Series – MAX IOPS Edition 120GB SSD and haven't had any devastating problems with it either. Maybe I got a decent firmware or something.

OCZ SSDs are problems.

I have had zero problems with my OCZ SSD. I have a VertexLE 100GB SSD that I got way back in March 2011 when Buy.com had some crazy price on it for only $52! I was lucky eough to be one of a handful that got in on the deal and the drive is rock solid and fast! Not one problem ever!

Vertex 2 90GB=died after UPS wasn't enough for a power surge.
Agility 2 240GB=still good
Agility 3 60GB=still good
Agility 3 240GB=still good

Consider me pro-OCZ.

my OCZ is nice for every day use.
only thing is every time I try to oc my computer it goes bye.
Have to re install is this an OCZ thing or all ssd's ?

let me restate this.
When I first got this build going I hit turbo in the ASUS menu much to my surprise I was hitting 4.5G on my 2600
WHAT?
looked and voltage was tooo high so I decided to oc the old way folling clunk guides.
first settings of 4.0G and the ssd crapped, had to reinstall.
tried it again and when I change manual settings to anything the ssd will not boot.

I don't think that's your SSD's fault or at least I've never had that happen once since moving to/using my OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS SSD which it's been well over a year now. That did however use to happen when I had a spinning hard disk, but not once since I moved to a newer non-moving primary disk.

Nope never lost a SSD drive due to overclocking. Either your overclocking wrong or just a bad drive.

My Vertex 2 is still going strong. It seems most of the issues are with their 3rd gen series.

I'm pretty sure I would not use an OCZ drive if it was free.

Back