Newegg 24 Hour Sale: Corsair Obsidian 700D for $139.99 FS!

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
link: 700D $269.99 on sale to $219.99

on sale for $179.99 using code: EMCYWNR57

final price: $139.99 after MIR and free shipping

oooh so tempting!!!

How is the air cooling potential of the 700D? I've heard so-so, better as a liquid cool case.

How is the air cooling potential of the 700D? I've heard so-so, better as a liquid cool case.

The last time this deal came up I came to the same quandary. I ended up going with some thing with a little more flow. It was a very tough decision to say the least.

o_O

if only i had a reason to replace my Antec 1200(maybe next upgrade....i just love all the fans!)

If only I had more free time. Great deal but it's such a PITA moving over a whole system and large WC loop.

Damn, pretty good deal. I bought one from Amazon on July 23rd for $223 - $40 rebate, which of course hasn't arrived. I've had a rebate from Corsair before that took 6 months. Anyone know who they use?

Oh well, maybe next year.

I just sent my rebate in for the 700D I got from TD. It was mailed to San Diego Rapid and they offered a rapid rebate service which cost $4.00 but cuts the wait time down (hopefully).

This deal is even slighty hotter then the TD / bing CB / Rebate deal I used.

i already have the H50 so very close. kenworth what did you end up going with?

I ended up going with a Coolermaster Storm Sniper. I sacrificed beauty for cooling. I built a new computer in it and had such a great experience with my Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced being quiet and a great performer I went back to Coolermaster. It has 3 big slow moving fans with a mesh front that the 700 couldn't compete with.

If I were to do it again, I would go with function over form. Damn that case is pretty though.

Compared to an Antec 300 with a 120 in the front, 120 in the back and a 140 up top, it's definitely a step up, right?

Compared to an Antec 300 with a 120 in the front, 120 in the back and a 140 up top, it's definitely a step up, right?

you won't get the airflow that you do with the 300, but cable management-wise it would be a whole ladder up, not just a step, pair it with the H50 that's also on sale and my guess is that your temps will drop noticeably...

you won't get the airflow that you do with the 300, but cable management-wise it would be a whole ladder up, not just a step, pair it with the H50 that's also on sale and my guess is that your temps will drop noticeably...

Yeah that's what I was guessing - that the much neater cable management would improve airflow quite a bit. My cables are all over the place as it is, by freeing it up, I feel like airflow would be greatly increased by default.

yeah and i don't think it would take much to make the airflow awesome...there is tons of space up top to put 3 fans and if you have 2 fans on your H50 like i do you could move a lot of air through the case.

mockup:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

as you can see, the PSU would make its own air loop and you could mount another fan on the bottom of the case to begin the push from bottom to top, install 2 more fans on top and all of sudden all your hot air exits up top and in my case my h50 would be reversed pulling air into the case.

you could reverse this and have the top fans blow into the case but that leaves a lot of air for the rear fan to remove from the case. i dunno.

i have seen this case in person. ITS MASSIVE! my full tower lian-li is massive and this thing is probably twice the size.

guh im use a cm690 but i need better cooling and a bigger case. Moving my computer into this case may be the solution =(

Should I jump on this? Opinions?

well i had pretty much just talked myself into until i just got a phone call, wonderful $640 repair on my car. FML. ill have to pass on this and hope for another sale. shit!

guh im use a cm690 but i need better cooling and a bigger case. Moving my computer into this case may be the solution =(

Should I jump on this? Opinions?

Bigger, hell yes. Better cooling, if done right.

well i had pretty much just talked myself into until i just got a phone call, wonderful $640 repair on my car. FML. ill have to pass on this and hope for another sale. shit!

at least you got the call BEFORE you ordered the case...could have been a day late and sucked even harder :)

anybody know how this thing compare in size to the coolermaster stacker? I have the original stacker and it seems like one of the more cavernous cases I have encountered but this Corsair has a much better layout and is just so pretty :eek:

I'm not in the position to get it now but maybe later...

you could reverse this and have the top fans blow into the case but that leaves a lot of air for the rear fan to remove from the case. i dunno.

This is what I had to do after installing a NB cooler. The rear top fan blows down to the fan I had to mount on top of the CPU HSF, then the top fan closest to the front blows out. Works fine and even dropped my CPU temps 1-2 degrees, but man the dust builds up so much faster.

And yeah, it is huge. It's a giant square - exactly long/deep as it is tall. The only thing I don't like is the side panels are really flimsy for such an expensive case. When I first got it they were bowed like crazy in the middle. I had to put them on a flat surface to bend them back straight. Every so often, though, when I take them off and lay them against a wall they start to sag in the middle again.

edit: Sorry not trying to turn this into a discussion, but here's a picture from my FS thread for size reference for those interested in the case: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/Sintek/msix58m.jpg. The free space to the right goes for another couple inches. It's a dream to work in this case after initially buying an Antec 300. Well worth at least $200.

Last edited:
are there any cheap 700d or 800d clones?

dude, the build quality you're getting for $140 is amazing, why would you want a "cheap" clone...? I look at this and just think to myself...I wouldn't even mind migrating another complete build into this, so much room, so many cable management options, Jeebus, I just put a MSI P55 GD80 in my Antec 300, and God bless it, I LOVE the case, the airflow is stellar, but I was almost done (and believe me it was quite a fucking chore to do it) and went to install my coolIT ECO ALC and realized I forgot to install the freaking backplate...

yeah...

that fucking sucked...I had to start all over again, with the 700D I would've just had to open up the panel under the motherboard...ugghh...even the cable management was a pain...

I was on the fence about this and my position there is very precarious indeed, I wanted to stop spending $$ but I'm thinking very seriously about this (and a 160GB Intel SSD on CL for $285)...

FML and my bank account...

just look at this shit...FFFFUUUUUUGGGGGHHHH...

700D_side2-opened.png

Last edited:
This is what I had to do after installing a NB cooler. The rear top fan blows down to the fan I had to mount on top of the CPU HSF, then the top fan closest to the front blows out. Works fine and even dropped my CPU temps 1-2 degrees, but man the dust builds up so much faster.

And yeah, it is huge. It's a giant square - exactly long/deep as it is tall. The only thing I don't like is the side panels are really flimsy for such an expensive case. When I first got it they were bowed like crazy in the middle. I had to put them on a flat surface to bend them back straight. Every so often, though, when I take them off and lay them against a wall they start to sag in the middle again.

edit: Sorry not trying to turn this into a discussion, but here's a picture from my FS thread for size reference for those interested in the case: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/Sintek/msix58m.jpg. The free space to the right goes for another couple inches. It's a dream to work in this case after initially buying an Antec 300. Well worth at least $200.

wow, this is exactly what I'm talking about, you can't help BUT to have a clean looking inside, cool as shit...STOP TEMPTING ME DAMMIT...!!!

wow, this is exactly what I'm talking about, you can't help BUT to have a clean looking inside, cool as shit...STOP TEMPTING ME DAMMIT...!!!

And that's without me even trying to hide cables. Even the laziest system builder can make this look as clean as any other case somebody spent hours on.

Another con I forgot to mention: there is very little space (like less than 1/2") between the right panel and the case itself so routing big cables is a chore. Even with liberal use of zipties and duct tape the panel bulges a little. Also a majority of people will need a 24-pin extension cable. Corsair supplies a 4/6-pin combo extension cable but I had no problem reaching the top of my motherboard. The 24 pin on my CM1000, however, barely makes it through the grommet without an extension as you can see in the pic.

oh yeah, in the end the build is as clean as you will get it.

if you have the floor/desk space i would say its completely worth it.

*edit* OCZ power supplies reach just fine

Ugh. Snagged one up. My old Lian Li PC60 is a fine case, but with the new rig I built last month, I have very limited options for cooling. IE, I'm pretty much stuck using the stock AMD heatsink. With this, I'll have some proper room for some water cooling. Sticking $1,500 worth of a rig in a 10 year old case just wasn't quite cutting it.

saw this today at microcenter, it's soooo nice! would definitely pick it up if i had the cash.

Looks like the deal has gone from [H]ot to warm. Promo code doesn't work anymore for me (doh!)

Anyone else try this morning to try to order?

Looks like the deal has gone from [H]ot to warm. Promo code doesn't work anymore for me (doh!)

Anyone else try this morning to try to order?

it was a 24 hour deal, probably just until a certain time last night or sometime early this morning...

Case just came, and this case is massive. I may sell it.

Quality of this case is amazing though.. I just have nothing to fill it with :(

Last edited:
Back