Newbish Questions Concerning the Acer H340 and Networking

achensherd

Limp Gawd
I have some newbish questions concerning the Acer H340, and I suppose some networking questions in general:

1. What kind of transfer performance is normal for it? I have it connected to my desktop's gigabit LAN card via crossover cable, and it took some 7 hours to back up about 350GB. Somehow that doesn't seem right. Best case scenario: a power saver setting kicked in a ways into the backup and either stopped it or slowed it down to a crawl (but that doesn't seem likely, since there's hard drive activity and my desktop's configured to always stay on).

2. My desktop's connection to the H340 is "unidentified" and can't be configured from Public Network to Home or Work Network. As a result, the server isn't able to share internet access with my desktop to download updates or allow remote access. I've Googled a few solutions, but none of them seem to work. How can I make the connection "identified" other than (possibly) connecting the server directly to the router? (Let's just say I don't trust having it outside my room).

3. Aside from the above problem, the connection between my desktop and server is flaky. After either machine is rebooted, the connection is lost and the server can no longer be found by my desktop. Rebooting one or both machines again sometimes resolves this issue, but I don't really like this method for obvious reasons. Anyone know why this is, and how to make the connection more robust?

Thanks!

1. Gigabit connection should give you anywhere from 80-125 (at the VERY BEST) MB/s transfer speeds. 1Gb/s = 125 MB/s. Judging by that number if you averaged 100 MB/s (which is good over a gigabit connection), that's 3500 minutes to transfer 350 GB of data (6 hours).

2. So just to get an idea your setup is somewhat like this: [ROUTER] <-(gigabit)-> [DESKTOP] <-(crossover on a 2nd NIC)-> [Acer H340 NAS]?

3. Answer question # 2 first.

1. Okay, cool. I was just afraid something was wrong or misconfigured.

2. It's exactly like that.

Okay. Try plugging your NAS directly to switch/router rather then using a crossover on a secondary NIC on your primary PC.

Back