newbie question on tubing

thaltek

Limp Gawd
i have been reading around here and have some questions about tubing......

The setup:
pump: Swiftech MCP655-B 12v DC Pump w/Tach Sensor
rad: http://www.dangerden.com/store/black-ice-micro-ii.html (2 linked in parallel)
resivor: http://www.dtekcustoms.com/d-tekbay-reservoir.aspx

The questions:

(1) leeching: in another thread around here i read that plastisizers and other various chemicals can leak out of tubing and contribute to "gunk" in the system.... How serious is this phenomena? Can additives make leeching worse?
(2) water loss: where water passes through the tubing at the molecular level. What kind of loss could be expected? How could i minimize the loss?
(3) temp range: what kind of range should i consider (i plan on some overclocking)? Should i concerned about tube being more prone to leakage when heated?

if you know of any tubing that might satisfy the following i would be really appreciative....
i am looking for tubing with minimal leeching, water loss, and resilliant under heat.... flexibility is not an issue but i would prefer to use a clear plastic and or rubber like material..... any suggestions?

Get the Tygon 3603 tubing...low leaching and low water loss...you may lose a cc a year at max with a well sealed system...I wouldn't worry about your water temp and any good modern tubing built to take hot water...it just doesn't get that hot, even with a big overclock...

thanks for the information..... i figured the water loss wouldn't be much and 1ml sounds reasonable......

i know i am gonna get flamed for this but.... i plan on running a pure distilled water loop with a coil of this .... later when the money is available i will probably invest in a UV light box to kill off the little critters that make it into my loop.....

again thanks for the info.....

Or just put a wee bit of car coolant lying around to kill the critters for a cheap fix.

I do not agree on Tygon in some cases ; I find both Feser and Primochill better. The latter's can both take more harsh bends than tygon without kinking.
If you plan on a system without sharpe bends - Tygon is very good, no question about that.

Otherwise i think you are good to go - silver - YES... no dyes ! (dyes are for dykes) :D

another question then... can i use vinyl tubing with tygon? the vinyl is being used on a short term basis as a "dummy rig up" and as a bypass until i get some blocks and more tygon...

Feser or Primochill LRT are the only tubing ill use. And if you use a silver plated barb by bitspower, or buy a silver coil to put in the loop, you can just run 99cent distilled water and colored tubing. No point in spending a ton of money on coolant that is worse than distilled.

Feser or Primochill LRT are the only tubing ill use. And if you use a silver plated barb by bitspower, or buy a silver coil to put in the loop, you can just run 99cent distilled water and colored tubing. No point in spending a ton of money on coolant that is worse than distilled.

i don't know about you but i like to buy the $0.97 gallon of distilled water...... :p

and yha i am gonna suck it up and get good stuff instead of this vinyl tube...

+1 for Primochill LRT tubing. Great stuff and a decent price. I personally cant see spending another $1.50/ft for Tygon. Really dont see it being worth it.

Now, some peopel like it, but I cant stand Masterklear. Some swear by it, but Id NEVER buy it again. P-LRT is great stuff.

+1 for Primochill LRT tubing. Great stuff and a decent price. I personally cant see spending another $1.50/ft for Tygon. Really dont see it being worth it.

Now, some peopel like it, but I cant stand Masterklear. Some swear by it, but Id NEVER buy it again. P-LRT is great stuff.

? the tygon i have is doing fine..... however i just found some really cheap pvc stuff for $0.25 per foot.....
tygon is about $1.50/ft to 4.50/ft
primo p-lrt is about $2.50/ft

Last edited:
Where are you buying from that sells LRT for 2.50/ft? Jab-tech has it for $2.00/ft.

Also, you can get cheap Tygon, but Id take LRT over cheap Tygon. Just my thoughts though.

Really cheap stuff likes to collapse. ive used Masterklear ($0.59/ft) and it was horrible. Bend radius isnt good at all. If you dont really have bends, cheap tubing will usually work, but start bending (90* or 180*) and its garbage.

Masterclear has worked just fine for me. Havn't had any probs with it. It's 1/2 OD. I don't thinks there's really anything to worry about with tubing now a days. Just depends on color, and how much it will be bent. ;)

Masterclear has worked just fine for me. Havn't had any probs with it. It's 1/2 OD. I don't thinks there's really anything to worry about with tubing now a days. Just depends on color, and how much it will be bent. ;)
QFT.

Use coils if you have harsh bends.

<-- My ghetto duct work. :eek:

Back