newbie question about duel boot xp-64 + Kubuntu

exilera

Weaksauce
I have two drives, XP x64 installed on the primary drive. I'd like to install Kubuntu on the second drive and have a boot menu when starting the system. Would someone be able to explain simply how I'd accomplish this?

Thanks!
David

Step 1) Install kubuntu
Step 2) Enjoy automatically configured dualboot system
Step 3) Boot into Windows less and less
Step 4) Uninstall Windows

Arkaine23 said:
Step 1) Install kubuntu
hehe :p

Forgive the newbiness, but how exactly do I install Kubuntu? I downloaded the 5.04 version from kubuntu.org (ISO format), opened the ISO with isobuster and burned the contents to a CD. The CD doesn't seem to be bootable. How exactly do I install it? What am I doing wrong? :)

Thanks.

Don't extract the contents of the ISO. Just burn the ISO file, it'll make a bootable CD. Depending on what program you're using, it'll be called something like Burn Image or Write ISO to disc or similar.

BillLeeLee said:
Don't extract the contents of the ISO. Just burn the ISO file, it'll make a bootable CD. Depending on what program you're using, it'll be called something like Burn Image or Write ISO to disc or similar.
Will the built-in XP burner work?

The built in XP burner won't burn ISOs by itself, but you can get a freeware app and do it.

My favorite free burner for Windows is CDBurnerXP Pro.

Got it bootable; thanks!

One more question. I want to install Kubuntu on the second hard drive (D), which already contains some XP programs and a Program Files (x86) dir (using xp x64), but not much else. What option would I use in the partition menu to keep the existing partition intact and just install the new OS on the second drive while leaving the files there already intact?

Thanks again.

Arkaine23 said:
Step 1) Install kubuntu

Totally Agree.
BTW, what the the advantages of kubuntu over ubuntu. (kde vs gnome)

zappa86 said:
Totally Agree.
BTW, what the the advantages of kubuntu over ubuntu. (kde vs gnome)
If I format my second drive for use with Kubuntu and install Linux, will I be able to then copy back the XP stuff I had previously (which I just copied to the first HD)?

Back