• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Newbie problems - SuperMicro SC847 jbod

brutalizer

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 23, 2010
Messages
1,603
I have just started up my SC847 jbod E26. I am just a home user with no experience of enterprise stuff so I have some problems. I use Solaris 11.2.

I have connected a sff8088 minisas cable from the Dell external HBA 6gbps to the SC847. I have inserted one single disk into SC847. The problem is that everything is dog slow. When I try to see all disks connected to my computer with "format" command, it takes a very long time. After 3 minutes or so, I can finally see the SC847 disk. And when I do "zpool import" it takes 3-4 minutes before I see the pool name listed. And I get problem:
# zpool import poolname
cannot import 'poolname': no such pool available

I guess it is not supposed to take 3-4 minutes, right? It should be quick? So, what can the problem be, you guess?

EDIT: Another question, can I hot swap the SC847 case? Say I have inserted the minisas cable to the top cable in, can I just plug the cable into the bottom "cable in" without shutting down my computer?
 
And when I do "zpool import" it takes 3-4 minutes before I see the pool name listed.

That is certainly not normal. Although I use zfsonlinux instead of Solaris.
 
I have also only one power cable connected. I see error messages:


pr 24 14:42:08 fjolla EVENT-TIME: Fri Apr 24 14:42:08 CEST 2015
Apr 24 14:42:08 fjolla PLATFORM: X10SAT, CSN: 0123456789, HOSTNAME: fjolla
Apr 24 14:42:08 fjolla SOURCE: eft, REV: 1.16
Apr 24 14:42:08 fjolla EVENT-ID: 5e4e8cd6-af6a-46ae-fd33-c506581fffa2
Apr 24 14:42:08 fjolla DESC: A sensor indicates that this power supply is not operating properly due to some external condition
Apr 24 14:42:08 fjolla AUTO-RESPONSE: None.
Apr 24 14:42:08 fjolla IMPACT: The enclosure may be getting inadequate power. Subsequent loss of power supplies may force the enclosure to shutdown.
Apr 24 14:42:08 fjolla REC-ACTION: Use 'fmadm faulty' to provide a more detailed view of this event. Check to see if the power cord is connected properly or if there are other conditions that may be causing inadequate power to be provided to the indicated power supply. Please refer to the associated reference document at http://support.oracle.com/msg/SENSOR-8000-7L for the latest service procedures and policies regarding this diagnosis.


EDIT: And when I turn on the case, it emits a loud constant beep

EDIT2: I inserted another power cable, and the error messages about "insufficient power" disappeared
 
Last edited:
Back
Top