• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Newbie needs some help, pls.

Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
5
I just got 2 sets of M-Audio speakers for Free. AV-40's - http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioAV40.html

BX8a's - http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX8aDeluxe.html



I would like to hook them up to my soon to be new computer. I was not planning on getting a Sound Card but if I have to I will. I am gonna be using an ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX motherboard with Realtek ALC892 Audio Chipset/8 Channels.

So I'm wondering what would be the best way to hook these up to my computer? Is it even possible?

Could I add a Subwoofer to either of these? Do I need to add a sub to either of these?

And any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
Wow well whomever you got those for free from you should tell them i would like some Studiophile BX8a Deluxes FOR FREE AS WELL!

Anyway, i would sell the AV-40s and keep the BX8a's

Hooking them up should be fairly easy use the GREEN audio port on your sound
It looks like it uses a 1/4 headphone style input so you would probably need a 1/8" / 3.5mm headphone cable (male on both ends) at whatever length you need to go from the speakers to your computer and also a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone adaptor.. All of which could be found easily at wallmart or radioshack
 
my sis works at a warehouse that refurbishes them so I got some leftovers, =)).

thanks for the advice sounds easy.
 
Do yourself a favor and get a soundcard. You will notice a nice improvement. Onboard sound would seriously limit them (especially BX8a)

I had BX5a + Dayton SUB100 + Xonar DX and it sounded quite nice
 
I'll second ThumperSD's suggestion, definitely get yourself a sound card to make the most of them. Just keep in mind that there is a break in period before they sound their best but after that sit back and enjoy.
 
Speaker break in happens in seconds, usually during the manufacturer's own testing before they ship the speakers out. The "burn in" period is your ears adjusting to the sound.

I'll third the suggestion of nabbing a soundcard; otherwise my advice would be the same as jakebot's (with the caveat that I have no experience with M-Audio speakers).
 
But yeah if you happen to get a hold of any more of these speakers let me know!
 
Back
Top