newbie looking for monitor advice!

mbakalski

n00b
Hey Guys!

Just signed up for an account here although I have lurked around for some time now. This seems like a great community where one can get well informed recommendations!

Well, let’s get to the point! I have decided to come back to computer gaming after 7-8 years of using consoles. I am in the process of putting together a decent system that should have plenty of horse power to display high quality content (GTX770 4GB or GTX780). Earlier this year I got Panasonic VIERA TC-P55GT50 as my TV and I have been absolutely spoiled by the greatness of that screen.

I have been trying to decide on what type of monitor to get and I have managed to narrow it down to a few choices. Although I do have some flexibly in my budget ($200-$250), I would prefer if I didn't push its boundaries too much . The reason I am setting the budget a bit lower is that I might consider going to a tri-monitor setup in the near future.

I am looking for recommendations between the following monitors and price points:

Dell U2412 – Refurbished from Dell - $200 Shipped
BenQ GW2750HM – New from Newegg - $170 Shipped
ASUS VS247H-P – New from Newegg - $120 Shipped + rebate
ASUS VS239H-P – New from Newegg - $150 Shipped
ASUS VS24AH-P – New from Newegg - $200 Shipped
Anything else that might seem like a good fit?

If some of those prices seem low, it’s because I am factoring in some gift cards on top of the huge discounts from the sellers. The cheap ASUS monitor (TN Panel i believe) is in the list due to the super low price. I know the rest of them have their own sets of strengths and weaknesses (IPS glow, bleeding, viewing angles, resolution, contrast), but I cannot decide which one is best at the current price points. I have read numerous threads on here and around the net, looked at professional reviews (tftcentral), but I just keep getting more uncertain.

Monitor will be used for:

60% - Gaming
20% - Movies/Videos
10% - Browsing/Email/Reading/etc
10% - Amateur Photoshop/Photo Editing

I understand that with the budget some sacrifice will be have to be made. I have been also looking at 120Hz and 1440p monitors, but I feel that at and around that price point they will be lower quality.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wordy post!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm lazy, can you link those monitors?

On your list, you probably would enjoy all of them. The "ASUS VS24AH-P" will probably suit you.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, check out the 144hz monitors

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2420TE-Performance-24-Inch-Professional/dp/B00D7IG556
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313 24"
http://www.amazon.com/Series-VG278HE-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/tech-data/B00906HM6K/ref=de_a_smtd. 27"

Links are live - thanks, not sure how I omitted that. I was looking at the BenQ you listed and it seems like it is loaded with features and people are happy with it. The only thing with 144Hz is that I will definitely need to make sure the graphics card I get can run it comfortably, which usually means more moolah. Other than that it seems like a great monitor!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a BenQ GW2450HM is a good monitor but you if you buy a BenQ then you should buy the new one (GW2760HS).

The ASUS VS24AH-P and Dell U2412 are both 1920x1200, where the rest are 1920x1080. For gaming I don't think that really tends to matter as much (still nice to have!), but for pretty much everything else, the 120 extra vertical pixels are well worth it.

I have the U2412 (actually 3 of them), which I've found to be a really good monitor.

i just picked up two of the ASUS VS24AH-P from newegg. only been on them for a couple days and i have not had any time to do any gaming with them yet beyond just launching new vegas for about 5 minutes, but for everything else they have been great and the extra realestate from the 16:10 has been great.

no complaints from me on them to this point.

Are there any 27 monitors you guys would recommend? I have the Shimian but Ive fallen out of love with it. Seems laggy. Ive been looking at the Asus 27 120hz monitor..but so much info about monitors its crazy

Just got the ASUS VS239H-P today. I was getting indecisive so something had to be done. For the price that I got it ($110 shipped after a bunch of gift cards and factoring the rebate in) it seemed like an easy decision. I will report back once I test it out!

Back