Newbie iPhone photography

the_servicer

2[H]4U
After swearing off the idea of ever using a phone to shoot photos, I just started with my regular iPhone 14. (Sometimes it's too convenient to hand my phone to a stranger to take a shot, rather than handing over a real camera.) I'm keeping lens protectors on, but will pull them off if they cause trouble. I am hoping to download photos from iCloud in a desktop web browser and upload to Instagram in the same browser. That way I can keep Meta apps off my phone for as long as possible (though someday I might not have much of a choice).

Which zoom settings eliminate pixel loss? The beginning of an older YouTube video claims the only acceptable zoom settings are 1x and 2x. Everything else loses quality. Is this still true for phones like iPhone 14 with two lenses? Another article seems to indicate iPhone 14 loses quality at 2x. If I need to be stuck at 1x all the time, I'm fine with that.

After swearing off the idea of ever using a phone to shoot photos, I just started with my regular iPhone 14. (Sometimes it's too convenient to hand my phone to a stranger to take a shot, rather than handing over a real camera.) I'm keeping lens protectors on, but will pull them off if they cause trouble. I am hoping to download photos from iCloud in a desktop web browser and upload to Instagram in the same browser. That way I can keep Meta apps off my phone for as long as possible (though someday I might not have much of a choice).

Which zoom settings eliminate pixel loss? The beginning of an older YouTube video claims the only acceptable zoom settings are 1x and 2x. Everything else loses quality. Is this still true for phones like iPhone 14 with two lenses? Another article seems to indicate iPhone 14 loses quality at 2x. If I need to be stuck at 1x all the time, I'm fine with that.
I'd stick to 1X. The 2X is only really lossless on the iPhone 15, since it's cropping in from a 48MP shot. Now, 2X should scale relatively elegantly on the iPhone 14, but it's not going to be the same as a crop or optical zoom.

I suspect this is just the start, though — you might find yourself looking at higher-end iPhones going forward if you like the experience. Having a zoom lens and higher-res sensors can go a long way toward replacing a dedicated camera for some people.

Going with 1x makes a lot of sense if, in fact, iPhone 14 lacks any optical zoom. (Somehow I assumed it has optical zoom.)

Definitely! I guess I should be looking only for optical zoom at less than 1x. But staying strictly at 1x is probably the least confusing path.

By chance has anyone looked into longer self timer delays in the camera app? Looks like the only choices are three and ten seconds.

Back