• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Newbie Georgia Tech Themed Mod

sbm5788

n00b
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
2
​
Well, I've been interested in getting into modding for awhile, but never really had the tools, time, or expertise. While I'm still searching for that last one, I acquired a dremel kit recently and had some free time on my hands and an old case. I'll be building a new computer in a week or so for college, and so, fittingly decided to transform the 3 year old one into a Georgia Tech themed case.

This is an old picture of what I'm working with: an old raidmax

IMAG0010.jpg


Icky wiring, obnoxious cold cathode, and the front colors in retrospect were rather unattractive. Live and learn...

First things first, some key parts needed a paint job. Namely, the red had to go. I haven't had much of any painting experience before, so tried to follow an online tutorial. As such, any tips are GREATLY appreciated.

Light-Painting-007.jpg


I then sanded, primed and painted a couple coats of fluorescent yellow

Light-Painting-012.jpg


The LED's on the front panel had never shown up very well- namely the two red, HD activity crescent moons. The leds pointed straight up with Raidmax making an attempt to "prism" the plastic moons to refract light out. (It didn't work) So, I dremeled out two small holes allowing the led's to show more.

Tech-Mod-004.jpg


The stock LED's on the front panel were rather ugly with the new colors (two red and one blue) so I replaced the two red HD activity leds with some UV ones, and the middle blue one with a Yellow. The HD activity LED line from my motherboard was unfortunatelyonly 1.5v and the UV needed a minimum to 3.2 to show well. I found another alternative power/message led line running at 5v so slapped some resistors on and was good to go. The effect turned out decently.

Tech-Mod-008.jpg


I then grabbed a great buy of EL wire off ebay. It's pretty cool stuff and I'm frankly surprised we haven't seen wider uses of it yet.

Tech-Mod-030.jpg


Pasted a reversed Georgia Tech Logo on the front side of my window panel:

Tech-Mod-031.jpg


And then had a hell of a time bending, contorting, and twisting the wire into the symbol outline.

Tech-Mod-034.jpg


Picked up some silicon glue and glued all around the edges. (not reccomended... was hard to trim down the excess without ripping everything away... anyone have any substitute suggestions?) After multiple dremel passes, I got enough of the glue trimmed away to not be too noticeable.

Tech-Mod-040.jpg


Then plugged it all in:

Tech-Mod-046.jpg


Next up... tidying some wiring and I'm not sure what else. I was toying with the idea of a graphic on the other side but am not quite sure. Anyone have any suggestions?
 
I had no idea that EL wire could be used with such tight corners.
I would be interested to know whether the manufacturer advises the use in such tight corners or if it shortens its life.

Question - It looks lkike you had a foot or two or EL wire left after the initials were completed. Can you cut it off, or must it remain as part of the electrical circuit?

Graphic - Yellow Jacket, of course.
 
The EL wire can just be snipped off again and reused. The one I got had adapters on both ends to connect to the driver, but if it didn't, a little soldering would do it just as well.

From what I understand, bends or kinks in the wire (i'm sure thickness is probably a factor) do not significantly reduce the life of the wire. However, I have heard that if bent multiple times, back and forth the wires can seperate enough inside to break. (i.e., dont' put it in a joint)
 
As a GA Tech Alum...I'd be willing to debate the merits of your equation.....if I knew where or what UMD was..........a little known constant perhaps?????;)
 
Back
Top