Newbie atom d525 build

tlipur

n00b
Newbie looking for some insight on what i would like to do.
My needs are simple 24/7 file storage for my digital media and zfs.

Currently i have
-JetWay JNF99FL-525-LF Intel Atom D525
-SYBA SY-PCI40010 PCI SATA II (3.0Gb/s) ~~~~Flashed non raid driver.
-G.SKILL 8GB RAM
-7x1.5tb drives
-2x1tb drives
1 500gb drive
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power

I also have 2 sans digital TowerRAID TR4M filled with 8x2tb drives on a separate system

Id like to incorporate all these drives into one system using the atom board listed above along with the tr4m boxes

Well the thing is im stuck as to how im going to do it. Is there a way?!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn't that board only take 4GB RAM?
The one thing I don't like about the JetWay Atom board I used for my ZFS thing is not enough ram and not ECC ram.

Official specs on the board say 4GB MAX. Some people on Newegg are saying they are using 8GB OK. YMMV, if your particular board/RAM combo/size don't work, they (Jetway/Newegg) won't care about fixing it.

I too am looking at that board for a small media server. I found a 5-bay 5.25 SCSI housing that I have removed the SCSI innards (cabling) and I put in 4 removeable drive bays and a blu-ray drive. The case has a separate housing for the PSU and is long enough and wide enough to hold that Jetway board which would give me 6 sata drives. I can then place a 2.5" drive in the bottom to be the boot drive. And since the board has 2 network ports, I can plug my Bluray player into it directly and stream the video off the system. I know what you are thinking, why am I ripping the bluray instead of just watching. First reason is time. Sometimes the blurays we get from either Netflix or the library, we don't have time to watch them. So, if we rip them, we can watch them later and then return the disc and get another one sooner. Second reason, is so I can create a diskless library, similar to a Kaleidescape. Another thought is to setup ShowRSS and download the TV shows that I can't get on my cable box. My only concern is, would the Atom cpu be enough to rip the discs in a decent amount of time, or am I delusional. Another thought I had was to also install a CUDA card in the PCI slot to help with the rip. I hope I am making sense with this. I might throw this up on the Worklog section later. I hope to hear how your project turns out.

Back