Newbe needs router help

larrys2006

n00b
I am looking for a hard wired no wi-fi router but I do not know what specs I need to look for, I will get the 50 meg verizon fios to start and I will run cat 6a to the ont either port. I use bittorent so I will have a lot of simultaneous connections. can you help me find a router?

If it's feasible to provide UPS power check out Ubiquitis Edge routers. I have their 5 port PoE unit and it's great. Sufficient GUI, totally solid, powers other devices and never breaks a sweat and the price is good. While running many Linux ISO torrents with lots of connections on my 120mbit connection the CPU load is barely above idle.

One caveat is they should be shut down through the interface or you risk OS corruption.

The simultaneous connections is tricky. You need something with some RAM for that, and not many manufacturers list RAM specs. How many connections are we talking? Less then 250, no problem, most routers will do. For 10000, you will need to roll your own.

Buy a D-Link DIR-860L (B1), install OpenWRT (trunk) and off you go.
Good for 500mbit+ :)

If it's feasible to provide UPS power check out Ubiquitis Edge routers. I have their 5 port PoE unit and it's great. Sufficient GUI, totally solid, powers other devices and never breaks a sweat and the price is good. While running many Linux ISO torrents with lots of connections on my 120mbit connection the CPU load is barely above idle.

One caveat is they should be shut down through the interface or you risk OS corruption.

risk OS corruption? how

@ larrys2006
Trunk would be "current"/HEAD
http://projects.pyret.net/dump/OpenWRT-r47187-v4-DIR860L-B1.7z
My own build with LuCI etc, I can provide a diff if you want.

The ERLs are having some issues with corrupted filesystems and not everything is doable with HW-NAT, that said it'll do fine in software mode although I do prefer OpenWRT more myself....

@ Raekwon
That's using the very same platform as the D-Link I mentioned, however it's a bit more limited as it lacks any kind of expansion ability. It does however have more RAM...

Last edited:
Doesn't Verizon provide their own router? Let them worry about it. You just use the connection first and then if it's an issue, look for a solution.

We had a FIOS connect with 75/35 with their stock router with zero issues. And I was running a site-to-site vpn behind it while my wife was watching online tv/movies. I think you'll be fine.

Back