• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Newb to cpu diode: questions

ck42

n00b
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
31
Just finally upgraded from an aging KK266 and T-bird.
I'm wondering now because I'm running a Duron 1.6 (@2.2) and MBM shows 2 different temps for the cpu...one for the diode and one for the cpu socket. Not ever having used a cpu with the onboard diode, I have questions.

I'm used to seeing ~31C (socket temp) on my old T-bird and now MBM is showing ~51C for the Duron for the socket temp and ~37C for the diode temp.

I REALIZE that the 2 temps should NOT match ;) but does this amount of variance sound normal?

If so, then this new cpu is running a heckuva lot hotter, according to socket temps, than the old T-bird....more than seems normal.

BTW, if it matters, this is at 1.7V (won't go any lower even when BIOS is set at 1.5V...and there's a Zal 7000A hsf sitting on board.
 
I think you swapped them, 51C sounds more like a die temp.
 
Temps are as indicated by MBM...not me.
Is there some way to verify this?
 
KK266?!? :rolleyes:

Are you sure one isn't the case temp, and the other the CPU temp?

Thats how it usually is I think. 51C would be your cpu temp, and 37C would be your case temp.

I'd look into the issue of voltage also, as I don't think durons are supposed to run at 1.7v?

I would check for the latest bios for that motherboard, hopefully it will resolve your issues.
 
Latest BIOS is installed. As for the 1.7V, it's spec'd at 1.50V but it's not uncommon to run that at 1.7V while o/c'ing.

MBM indicates that the case temp is 33C...which I believe since that's pretty close to where my other boxes sit (for case temps).

What I'm WANTING to do is actually find a good spot to measure the Vio with a meter to verify that the BIOS is actually measuring it correctly....anyone have any ideas?
 
OK....voltage figured out. There's an OverVoltage jumper on the m/b that if it's enabled makes it so that the core volt. STARTS at 1.7V.....it was enabled.
 
Back
Top