• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Newb Headphone Advice

Joined
Jan 1, 2001
Messages
581
I'm a headphone newb, but do own a pair of Grado SR-60's that I use at the office. I've got somewhat of a dilemma, I've got a bunch of development work that I'm attempting to do at home, but I live in a fairly noisy environment and require a pair of headphones that will help all that go away.

The SR60's are fantastic for sound quality, but they aren't sealed(obviously) so that puts most Grado's out of the picture.

So what are some decent sealed headphones around the same price as the SR60's?
 
Audio Technica closed headphones are fairly popular.

A500
A700
A900

^^^ Depending on your pricepoint. You can pick a pair up at audiocubes.com
 
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/in-ear-monitor/


I'd take a look at those. In Ear Monitors go in your ear and create a seal. With my IEM's I cannot hear anything going on outside of my music. Unfortunately you cannot get much for 69.99 (price of SR60) so i recommend bumping up to 99.99 and getting the SuperFi 3 or even the Shure E2. I have the Shure E4 and I absolutely love them.
 
The Sennheiser HD-280 Pro has GREAT isolation (I regularly miss the phone ringing on my desk) and can reportedly be had for $80 or less, although most places I've seen it have it for $100.

EDIT: I have no experience with them, but the general opinion is that at the same price point, full-size closed cans can almost always yield better audio than IEMs. If you don't need the portability, keep looking a full-size cans.
 
Thanks for the feedback fellas! I think I'm going to go for the a500's. Can you recommend a decently cheap headphone amplifier? I'd be willing to attempt to solder my own if it came down to that.
 
For the AX00 series of Audio-Technicas, you won't need an amplifier. You may well be better off spending the money getting a new sound card than getting an amplifier.
 
Well, no *additional* amp required, as almost any source with a headphone jack will have onboard amplification... if the output is literally just line-level and unamplified, then you'll need some sort of amplification. And unamped line out -> dedicated headphone amp will probably sound better than the built-in amped signal, just because the dedicated headphone amp can do a much better job than the stuff built-in to the soundcard (or DAP, CDP, etc). But for the AX00 series, any soundcard's headphone out is powerful enough to drive them, although running an unamplified line out to a dedicated headphone amp (even a lowly CMoy) will yield better results than the headphone jack.

But yes, worry about getting a new source first. :) (well, depending on what you have)
 
Even though the audio technica's are "closed" they hardly isolate at all. Your best bet is to find a used pair of shure e2c's for about 50$ and get some foams for them. A used set of hd-280's will also fit your bill.
 
ElektronikSeraph said:
The Sennheiser HD-280 Pro has GREAT isolation (I regularly miss the phone ringing on my desk) and can reportedly be had for $80 or less, although most places I've seen it have it for $100.

Second that. They sound great and the isolation is remarkable. Have used them on airplanes, and they're far better than any "noise-cancelling" headphones I've tried.
 
haven't heard them but Senns are right decent. I don't care for the 650s at all but that's different.
 
Might want to check out the AKG K81DJ. I havn't listened to it yet, but I'm thinking about picking up a pair for a decent closed can and it seems pretty well-received.
 
I love my 280pros. nice cans. :)

only thing is, now I'm interested in a the Shure e2cs so I can easily transport them with me to/from school.
 
Back
Top