New Zealand Parliament May Lose Internet Connection

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
New Zealand has passed a ‘three strike rule’ dealing with copyright laws. If an account holder is found to have violated the rule, the account is locked out with no more internet access. Not taken into consideration were public facilities with hundreds of users like schools, libraries and yes, even government facilities like the Parliament.

MPs will likely claim that this clearly doesn't apply to Parliament, which just shows the ridiculous double standard of such laws.

Being a kiwi citizen, I am totally disgusted not only with the bill itself but the way it was fast tracked into legistlation. Parliment used the Christchurch earthquakes as a weaksauce excuse to push the bill through with absolutely no consultation with the general public. The whole system is fundamentally flawed when govt lobbyists can completely forego due process to pursue their own dubious agendas. :mad:

Being a kiwi citizen, I am totally disgusted not only with the bill itself but the way it was fast tracked into legistlation. Parliment used the Christchurch earthquakes as a weaksauce excuse to push the bill through with absolutely no consultation with the general public. The whole system is fundamentally flawed when govt lobbyists can completely forego due process to pursue their own dubious agendas. :mad:

I visited your country this year and spent Jan and Feb there. Fell in love with the South Island (still thinking about it now). I would never emigrate though as I love my bandwidth too much (in UK).

( used a Vodafone NZ pay as you go stick while I was there)

I visited your country this year and spent Jan and Feb there. Fell in love with the South Island (still thinking about it now). I would never emigrate though as I love my bandwidth too much (in UK).

( used a Vodafone NZ pay as you go stick while I was there)

It's always great hearing from people that have had wonderful experiences with NZ. Glad you enjoyed the stay!

Sadly, yes.. Our broadband is still in the darkages. Especially with the cellular networks. Even on my wired broadband, the max speed I get is around 10mbps - 1.1 Mb/s

the most ironic thing about this is that Telecom (my ISP) have just given all the customers extra usage for free. I have been bumped from 60gb, to 80gb for free.

Usenet here I come.....

the most ironic thing about this is that Telecom (my ISP) have just given all the customers extra usage for free. I have been bumped from 60gb, to 80gb for free.

Usenet here I come.....
80GB... LOL. Yes Usenet, here you come, and I am sure it will notice... Just messing with you. Not a NZ'er, but living in NZ for the last 3 years with my kiwi wife of 10 years.

Coming from the US, I find it plain impossible to lower my usage down to the caps provided by the likes of Telecom, Teltra, or anyone else. Been on unlimited broadband since I moved here and very happy there is someone who can provide it for me. At least they are trending upwards. Dont know how VDSL and FTTD is going to affect NZ with their current rollout of FTTD to most of the country. How are people supposed to deal with much faster speeds and yets similar caps. Something will have to give.

I dont see this internet law working very well though and there is too much public pressure for it to stay around long. I would imagine it gets changed in the next 2 years.

To all fellow Kiwi torrenters the magic words are: overseas seedbox

I just set up one on a cheap (US$19 for 12 month) VPS using transmission-daemon. Now I can queue up downloads from web, Windows, and Android as well as being able to turn my PC off at night!

Absolutely everything is locked down, HTTPS, SFTP, encrypted peers only, daily updated peer blocklist...

So as far as I am concerned I couldn't care less about this new law.

Great... I guess this means we'll have more bloody Kiwis here in Australia soon enough....

It's always great hearing from people that have had wonderful experiences with NZ. Glad you enjoyed the stay!

Sadly, yes.. Our broadband is still in the darkages. Especially with the cellular networks. Even on my wired broadband, the max speed I get is around 10mbps - 1.1 Mb/s

Yeah it is a shame. Still it's interesting to hear whatever workarounds there are.

p.s. where are you based and is it snowing ? pm me as it's rather off topic ::cool:

Back