New York Prosecutor Wants Harsher Texting While Driving Penalties

This seems not well thought out. There are laws for this already they need to be enforced. For example if you kill someone while texting..guess what vehiclar manslaughter correct? Why do we need new laws for ones that already encompase this.

Education needs continue to be drive (haha get it..) the point that this is what would happen and do you understand that by doing your are accepting those features by doing said action. Example Drunk driving hey dumb ass you will go to jail, you will be fined x amount, your life will suck.

There is very good data on this that needs to be applied to what will happen when driving at fault.

The same thing that occurred with DUIs, in that it became socially unacceptable to drive while drunk, needs to happen with texting and driving. Unfortunately, it would seem, that texting and using a phone while driving is socially acceptable currently. No law or punishment will change this ... it is going to require people to wake up to the consequences of this incredibly selfish behaviour.

I'm usually opposed to these sorts of laws, but driving-while-texting is something that really frickin' enrages me and tries my political and legislative ideals in this instance. I've seen far too many numbnuts driving like fools while a phone in their hand.

We all need to look at ourselves. I have seen an unimagineable number of hypocrites when it comes to this. People who yell at others for doing it, but do it themselves.

We all need to look at ourselves. I have seen an unimagineable number of hypocrites when it comes to this. People who yell at others for doing it, but do it themselves.
Well, I'm anti-social and have a hands-free setup in my car, so I've never even been tempted.

However, that's why harsh punishments aren't a realistic solution. Its not hardcore criminals texting and driving, its otherwise honest good people that will hold the door open for you, but for some reason go full retard when it comes to their phone usage. Besides, deep down people already know that texting and driving carries a possible death sentence, as it kills more people than drunk driving every year.

How can you make the punishment worse than the death penalty? People already dismiss that, since they don't think it will happen to them, just as its unlikely many will ever get pulled over for it since its so hard for a police officer to witness in the act.

You generally only find out about texting and driving when checking the phone logs AFTER an accident, often fatal.

Something has to change though, and not just with texting, but GPS navigation too. I drove with someone that was trying to program in a street address while we were driving 45mph through quite heavy traffic with tons of cross roads and businesses where people could merge out onto our mainway at any time. Really pissed me off, but like you say its just a regular guy abusing his toy. And at some point you just have to say, hey, better to just take the toy and that temptation away. You have an emergency, use handsfree or pull over on the side of the road. Don't try to fumble around trying to type in "2555 Greenway Plaza" as by the time you finish, you don't realize how far your vehicle has traveled.

I'm always amazed how many stupid people are so happy to slavishly give up all their freedoms & rights because they are annoyed by something somebody else does.

Just look at California... how are the no texting laws enforced?... I can tell it's NOT stopping people who are driving while they are texting, it is the greedy bastards waiting for a full on traffic jam and then going around trying to see anyone using their phone to find out what is going on while they are completely stopped. Or other places where people are even parked in parking spaces but they want to write tickets because the car was not off & they were not out of the car before using their data device

Meanwhile the cops are free to text and drive & kill people while texting and driving and the penalties don't apply to them.

But sure be a bunch of idiot monkeys and clamor for the government to give all kinds of harsh penalties for something you think might be annoying.

If you cause an accident by being distracted while you are driving then you caused an accident from being distracted & there are plenty of laws already to deal with it in a much more sane & fair manner, no need to be all begging for draconian penalties for your stupid lemming herd of the day cause.

Doe's not sound to hard with GPS enabled phones, track any movement over 5 mph and shut the phone down from manual operation and set it to only voice.

I'd be willing to bet they could have done this from day one however they needed to make sure it became a billion+ dollar industry first, make sure that everyone is using it, then say. No you really shouldn't be texting and driving.

The same thing that occurred with DUIs, in that it became socially unacceptable to drive while drunk, needs to happen with texting and driving. Unfortunately, it would seem, that texting and using a phone while driving is socially acceptable currently. No law or punishment will change this ... it is going to require people to wake up to the consequences of this incredibly selfish behaviour.
Change the law to consider it self-defense if you see someone texting and driving in your direction, then CHL holders can legally open fire from the sidewalk, lol! :D

I'm always amazed how many stupid people are so happy to slavishly give up all their freedoms & rights because they are annoyed by something somebody else does.
EXACTLY! Tell em brother!

I have a GOD GIVEN RIGHT to drink a beer on my commute home. I worked hard and bought that drink with my own money, and here comes some asshole trying to take away my freedoms and rights and telling me that just because lots of people die every year because of drinking and driving that they can tell me to wait to drink until I get home.

And now, not only do they tell me I can't drink and drive, but I can't text and drive either, just because texting and driving is the leading cause of automotive related fatalities for our youth followed by drinking and driving.

Driving isn't safe, so if other motorists have a problem with me drinking and driving while I'm sending texts to buddies about how drunk I am, then they should just stay off the roads entirely! This is AMERICA! FREEDOM!

The punishment for texting when driving should be to have your thumbs amputated.

Cant they just pass a law requiring police to check someone's texting history on their phone after they cause an accident, and if they were texting give a harsher penalty.
Disabling phones in motion or having some jammimg device in cars is just going to piss people off and never get enacted.

Cant they just pass a law requiring police to check someone's texting history on their phone after they cause an accident, and if they were texting give a harsher penalty.
That's already done, after people are often tragically injured for life being paralyzed, or in many cases the death of an innocent victim or child in the back seat.

The problem is, everyone already knows its the leading cause of automotive death in our youth, who are the most prolific texters, but if the threat of DYING and killing innocent children isn't enough of a deterrent, what law could you reasonably put against texting-and-driving that isn't completely out of line with how we punish assault, robbery, rape, etc? You can't make it equal or worse than something generally only really bad people do, especially since statistically over half of all youth have admitted to texting and driving, meaning in reality its closer to 80% do it since some won't admit to it.

That's already done, after people are often tragically injured for life being paralyzed, or in many cases the death of an innocent victim or child in the back seat.

The problem is, everyone already knows its the leading cause of automotive death in our youth, who are the most prolific texters, but if the threat of DYING and killing innocent children isn't enough of a deterrent, what law could you reasonably put against texting-and-driving that isn't completely out of line with how we punish assault, robbery, rape, etc? You can't make it equal or worse than something generally only really bad people do, especially since statistically over half of all youth have admitted to texting and driving, meaning in reality its closer to 80% do it since some won't admit to it.

I think you eluded to the answer to your question. If texting is more important than the possibility of possibly killing someone, revoke their right to have a phone.

Back