New XP-90 User

CRXican

[H]ard|Gawd
I have this beauty sitting on my 3700+ Clawhammer, stock everything. According to Speedfan I'm sitting at 43C idle (browsing, IM, music). Seems high to me, only thing I can think of is I need more thermal paste (I used a tiny dab of AS5).

Also, my mobo is the Chaintech VNF3-250 and I wasn't sure which way to orient the heatsink. Right now the heat pipes face the front of the case, is that correct?

hey CRXican, congrats on the XP-90, ive got a friend who has one, couldnt be happier. sorry i have had no past experiences with it so i am not sure how it is supposed to be placed on the motherboard, but if at all i can help, how is the ambient temp and hows ur case flow. pretty sure u would have covered these but worth a shot :p also try reapplying AS5, but for now, ill let the pros help u :)

EDIT: check this http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=814698 it looks like there is an issue with the temp readings on ur board

pincho said:
hey CRXican, congrats on the XP-90, ive got a friend who has one, couldnt be happier. sorry i have had no past experiences with it so i am not sure how it is supposed to be placed on the motherboard, but if at all i can help, how is the ambient temp and hows ur case flow. pretty sure u would have covered these but worth a shot :p also try reapplying AS5, but for now, ill let the pros help u :)

EDIT: check this http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=814698 it looks like there is an issue with the temp readings on ur board
thank

I get the annoying squealing issue the mention as well. Kinda shitty considering the good ratings this mobo has on newegg.com and the reccomendations I got on the forum about this mobo.

I'd guess either:
- Incorrect temp readings, or;
- Poor case ventilation.

Your reported temps are about what I would expect from the standard AMD heatsink provided with A64 CPUs.

For comparison, at 11X250 with XP-90 HS, my idle temp is 32C and 41C after an hour of Prime95.

Hope this helps!

gud4u said:
I'd guess either:
- Incorrect temp readings, or;
- Poor case ventilation.

Your reported temps are about what I would expect from the standard AMD heatsink provided with A64 CPUs.

For comparison, at 11X250 with XP-90 HS, my idle temp is 32C and 41C after an hour of Prime95.

Hope this helps!
Which way is your heatsink oriented?

Fan blowing into the heatsink fins and overhang over RAM to force air over the RAM heatsinks - sounds like your board forces heatsink orientation 90 degrees different than mine (Asrock 939).

Do your Speedfan temps agree with BIOS? Try this:
- Let the system sit at CPU-idle for 5 minutes.
- Reboot and immediately enter BIOS to check BIOS temp readings.
- Reported temps shouldn't disagree by more than 2C.

If you see major disagreement between BIOS and Speedfan temp reading, Speedfan may be using the wrong board sensor(s). If temp readings agree, either:
- Check for secure/flat heatsink mounting, clean and reapply interface compound.
- Investigate whether or not other users of that mobo report higher-then-normal temps.

Hope this helps!

Back