New Xbox One Backward Compatibility Titles Playable Today

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Halo fans now have all of the main games in the franchise available to play on Xbox One now with the support of Halo: Reach.

Since launch on Nov. 12, fans have been enjoying Xbox 360 games on Xbox One for the first time ever, logging more than 9 million hours spent playing Xbox 360 games on Xbox One. And the most popular games fans from around the world have been spending those hours playing are Fallout 3, Gears of War 3, Just Cause 2, Assassin’s Creed II and DiRT 3. From titles like DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION to classics like Fable III, today, fans will have 16 additional games to choose from, expanding our growing library of Xbox One Backward Compatibility titles.

Kind of surprised a few more developers didn't try to jump on this for the holiday season.

Ah nice. I noticed a few 360 games showed up in my list to download on my xbox yesterday. Motocross madness showed up, dont remember buying it wonder if it was a freebie once. Played some portal last night though.

Still no Red Dead Redemption :/ Damn you Rockstar!

And there never will be. They're busy developing the next Red Dead, they don't want a re-release of RDR on the losing current gen platform stealing any thunder or creating confusion for the upcoming release. Marketing is tightly controlled with hundreds of millions on the line.

And there never will be. They're busy developing the next Red Dead, they don't want a re-release of RDR on the losing current gen platform stealing any thunder or creating confusion for the upcoming release. Marketing is tightly controlled with hundreds of millions on the line.

LOL! Man, you sure are consistent with that Microsoft hate, ain't you. :D Allowing the RDR for the 360 to play on the XBox One will not steal any "thunder" at all. You just love getting a dig in about Microsoft every chance you get. ;)

Me, I never played that game because I had not interest in it. However, I do enjoy the availability of XBox 360 games on my One. However, I have my XBox 360 hooked up and available physically on the shelf right under my One if I want to use it. Truth is, why would anyone want to pay for a subscription on the PS4 just to be able to play the PS3 games that you already own?

... what?

That losing platform still has millions in the end users home. Also, this can generate sales for this game that over 5 years old.

Plz go somewhere with that console war crap.

It'll do fine if they time it with the "next-gen" release. The problem is dev time, major devs typically don't want to devote that much time to water under the bridge when there are new and current projects to be working on, unless there are tangible benefits for their bottom line, so I agree with your assessment. It's not coming until there's a release date for the third Red Dead title.

That losing platform still has millions in the end users home. Also, this can generate sales for this game that over 5 years old.

Plz go somewhere with that console war crap.

Wasn't a console war argument.

Let's try this again: Rockstar isn't interested in a half assed re-release on a single platform while they've got Red Dead 3 in development and will manage a tightly controlled marketing campaign. If they were at all interested then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It'll do fine if they time it with the "next-gen" release. The problem is dev time, major devs typically don't want to devote that much time to water under the bridge when there are new and current projects to be working on, unless there are tangible benefits for their bottom line, so I agree with your assessment. It's not coming until there's a release date for the third Red Dead title.

It's not coming period. RDR is a phenomenal game, but people being able to take their existing disc and play it on a different console doesn't do anything for Rockstar

It's not coming period. RDR is a phenomenal game, but people being able to take their existing disc and play it on a different console doesn't do anything for Rockstar

WRONG. It enables them to sell the game to an even larger user base. Exactly in the same way how i stull buy dvds, but to watch them on my bluray player. Derp.

Let's try this again: Rockstar isn't interested in a half assed re-release on a single platform while they've got Red Dead 3 in development and will manage a tightly controlled marketing campaign. If they were at all interested then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You know, that literally has nothing to do with the reason they've avoided it.

WRONG. It enables them to sell the game to an even larger user base. Exactly in the same way how i stull buy dvds, but to watch them on my bluray player. Derp.

SMH. There's not going to be a boon on new copies of RDR sold if backward compat opened up for it. Its a whole lot of people that want to play their existing or used 360 disc. Rockstar doesn't get out of bed unless there's some substantial juice in it.

Obviously you've got some insight then - do tell.

Without going into too much detail, RDR went through development hell. It was a side project for Rockstar in between GTA's so it didn't get as much love and attention by the core of the team. Those who were put on the project were made to work unreasonable hours with no change in salary. Employees were pissed and the code is very obfuscated with a lot of bullshit filler and no comments because the team just wanted to finish the thing asap. To remaster RDR to a new system such as Xbox One or Windows would essentially mean recoding over half the game from scratch and only keeping basic assets.

Is it possible? Yes. Will Rockstar bother with it? Maybe when money gets tight but for now they don't want to touch that shit with a ten foot pole.

Without going into too much detail, RDR went through development hell. It was a side project for Rockstar in between GTA's so it didn't get as much love and attention by the core of the team. Those who were put on the project were made to work unreasonable hours with no change in salary. Employees were pissed and the code is very obfuscated with a lot of bullshit filler and no comments because the team just wanted to finish the thing asap. To remaster RDR to a new system such as Xbox One or Windows would essentially mean recoding over half the game from scratch and only keeping basic assets.

Is it possible? Yes. Will Rockstar bother with it? Maybe when money gets tight but for now they don't want to touch that shit with a ten foot pole.

It's known that the code was spaghetti, and that the original devteam has long departed. But these backward-compat games aren't being remastered in any way; it's just machine emulation. Insert old 360 disc, gets validated, and a virtual machine file is downloaded to the Xb One.

That said, I don't think money's ever going to be 'tight' for R* ;) The stumbling block is licensing terms, and if a publisher doesn't like them, they don't have to allow their game to run on XbOne.

I'm not. MS needs to pay to play (new licensing terms)

You don't seem to understand how this works. So let me fix that for you. The developers who have released games as digital downloads on the 360 just check a little box. Once they do that their game then works on the Xbox One. There is nothing for Rockstar to do as far coding for the game to work on the Xbox One. Microsoft has that built into their stuff now. As for as them paying people why would Microsoft pay somebody to put a game onto their platform? The game developers are the ones that pay Microsoft for SDKs. The indy program was what $99 to get into to be able to get your SDK and then publish your game. Worse case the developers have to be bothered to reupload their game again to Microsoft for it show up on the Xbox One. There is really no reason for a company not to do this unless they are planning on releasing a remake of an older game. Outside of that, check the little box then you expand your user base. All the games with gold releases going forward have to check that little box.

Back