New Xbox 360

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all don't come to the console section much but I figured I could use the advice.

The gf's son's Xbox is on its last legs.
Considering a replacement for Xmas.
Have a HDD for the old one.

Can I pickup the 4GB version and put the old HDD in or do I need to get the 250GB?

Also when is the next gen Xbox720 coming out?
I would hate to blow 200+ bucks and have the new one come out in 6 months.

All rumors still put the next xbox release around holiday season 2013. SO about a year away if correct.

I can live with that.

That Holiday Bundle is a good deal too at 250.
I know what Im getting him now.

All rumors still put the next xbox release around holiday season 2013. SO about a year away if correct.

i consider this to be pretty unlikely. i dont think consoles come out the same year they are announced at E3

Gamespot has a $50 off deal right now on 360's. Yes, you can put the old hard drive into the 4GB Slim model, but you need an HDD Caddy Shell to do it correctly, because if you don't the HDD will just be sitting in the system with no support or cover.

HDD Shells

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i consider this to be pretty unlikely. i dont think consoles come out the same year they are announced at E3

From a marketing standpoint, quite the opposite. If you announce a console too soon, people will stop buying your current gen and wait for the new hardware.

Also from wikipedia:
"The official unveiling of the Xbox 360 occurred on May 12, 2005"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch#Announcement

So there you have it, the same year it was released.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they haven't released the 8th gen consoles yet.

2001 was the release of the original xbox.
2005 xbox360
2013 and we might be getting a new one?

Blows my mind to think its close to a 10 year refresh cycle now.

From a marketing standpoint, quite the opposite. If you announce a console too soon, people will stop buying your current gen and wait for the new hardware.

Also from wikipedia:
"The official unveiling of the Xbox 360 occurred on May 12, 2005"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch#Announcement

So there you have it, the same year it was released.

true true, im just saying its less likely. PS3 was announced that year too but didnt come out till november 2006

the announcement barely impacts console says my dude, especially at this point in the consoles life. thats why they announcement price deductions as the newer console approaches.

but its all speculation i am just saying me personally i really doubt they will announce and release in the same year. especially when their console still does well

2005 xbox360

sony has stated they want the ps3 to have a 10 year life span. honestly for people who love computers and have good computers consoles have been pretty useless to use for awhile now. i havent owned a console in several years. sold my ps3 a long time ago.

i am excited for the new generation though definitely agree its overdue

Sony has stated they want the ps3 to have a 10 year life span. honestly for people who love computers and have good computers consoles have been pretty useless to use for awhile now. i havent owned a console in several years. sold my ps3 a long time ago.

i am excited for the new generation though definitely agree its overdue

It is such a con to expect a console to have a 10 year life.

I can't name many modern electronics that have lasted 10 years without needing to be replaced at least once.
Basically all a 10 year life assures them of is that most consumers are going to by at least 2 consoles.

Really pisses me off that they pull this crap.
But your basically a slave to the manufacture.
If it breaks your $200+ game library is useless.
So you have to pony up another $200+ bucks for some outdated tech.
For 200 I can put a 660 in a computer.

Such a con.

I can't name many modern electronics that have lasted 10 years without needing to be replaced at least once.
Basically all a 10 year life assures them of is that most consumers are going to by at least 2 consoles.

Such a con.

generally the consoles appeal to a bigger crowd, its simple, cheap and plays some of the same games ( they dont notice the difference in quality ).

200 isnt much if you already have a tv, when compared to the cost of having a gaming pc

i agree ten years is retarded. in fact i think two years is retarded. i have a 670 i doubt that'll last two years. i have an iphone 5.. when that hits two years i will be dying for a faster phone. two years is too long even let alone ten! fucking crazy these people.

EDIT

I think that will also mean the wii u is gonna dominate sales for a couple years. i mean theyre in an amazing spot.. its barely more then a 360 and a ps3.. its new and sony and microsoft havent even announced anything yet... and when they do it will surely be more expensive then a wii u meaning the wii u will still sell well because of its price when they release their competition.

it'll be interesting to see what happens. but i'll probably buy a wii u

Such a con.

I'm an uber lucky person who still has an original arcade Xbox that works fine. Granted I play computer games mostly but I'm sure my Xbox has a couple thousand hours easy.

2005 xbox360

There was this thing that happened that you might have heard about. It's called the world economy taking a giant shit. New consoles cost billions to develop and many years. There was no way in the late 2000s that they could feasibly see launching a new $300-400+ system in a few years. There wasn't really that much of a wide-spread demand for it in 2010, even now I'm not sure how much real demand there is from the mainstream community.

There was this thing that happened that you might have heard about. It's called the world economy taking a giant shit. New consoles cost billions to develop and many years. There was no way in the late 2000s that they could feasibly see launching a new $300-400+ system in a few years. There wasn't really that much of a wide-spread demand for it in 2010, even now I'm not sure how much real demand there is from the mainstream community.

plus microsoft and sony sell their consoles at a loss. it costs them a lot to launch a new console.

nintendo i think is the only one that makes any profit off of console sales

I guess that is a consideration to make, its just weird for me because growing up during the 80s and 90s there was a new console every 5 years at a minimum, so I am kind of used to that concept.
The demand also is probably not there as you said, when I first showed my gf son Crysis, 2 years ago his mind was blown about how good the gfx are. He still thought xbox360 was the best you could get.

I guess that is a consideration to make, its just weird for me because growing up during the 80s and 90s there was a new console every 5 years at a minimum, so I am kind of used to that concept.
The demand also is probably not there as you said, when I first showed my gf son Crysis, 2 years ago his mind was blown about how good the gfx are. He still thought xbox360 was the best you could get.

That's another thing. We're kind of beating our heads against a brick wall as far as graphics go. The graphics jump between the PS2/GC/Xbox era to now was smaller than any previous generation gap and I'm willing to bet the next jump will be even smaller. We've pretty much hit the peak and are getting less out of exponentially increasing resource costs. Game development cost is only going to go up next generation.

That's another thing. We're kind of beating our heads against a brick wall as far as graphics go. The graphics jump between the PS2/GC/Xbox era to now was smaller than any previous generation gap and I'm willing to bet the next jump will be even smaller. We've pretty much hit the peak and are getting less out of exponentially increasing resource costs. Game development cost is only going to go up next generation.

couldn't agree with you more. the leaps in graphical prowess is going to be small, hopefully that will put some emphasis on gameplay and story like it did back in the day.

Yet a company like Apple can release a $400-$500 piece of tech EVERY year and still break sales records. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9563986/Apples-iPhone-5-sets-sales-record.html

Yes I understand a gaming console is a little different than say an iphone or ipad, but with the way these devices sell, pulling out that "economy in the crapper" doesn't really make sense. The masses clearly have enough $ buy this stuff yearly.

Last edited:
Yet a company like Apple can release a $400-$500 piece of tech EVERY year and still break sales records. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9563986/Apples-iPhone-5-sets-sales-record.html

Yes I understand a gaming console is a little different than say an iphone or ipad, but with the way these devices sell, pulling out that "economy in the crapper" doesn't really make sense. The masses clearly have enough $ buy this stuff yearly.

but a console wont sell for 500$ if you ask me.

look at the people who bought a ps3 for 600$ and tell me they arent sick to their stomachs..

look at the people who bought a ps3 for 600$ and tell me they arent sick to their stomachs..

At least mine still has backwards compatibility!

Such a con.

It shouldn't still cost $200 to replace the console once it's outdated.

I paid $600 for my 60GB PS3 on launch day and I'm not sick to my stomach. I would have liked for it to have been cheaper for sure, but my PS3 has lasted me 6 years, that's $100 per year for a game console and a blu-ray player which I've used a lot. I don't necessarily think it was a great value, but I don't regret it either.

I paid $600 for my 60GB PS3 on launch day and I'm not sick to my stomach. I would have liked for it to have been cheaper for sure, but my PS3 has lasted me 6 years, that's $100 per year for a game console and a blu-ray player which I've used a lot. I don't necessarily think it was a great value, but I don't regret it either.

thats dope that it still works. i know a lot usually break way before the 6 year mark

thats dope that it still works. i know a lot usually break way before the 6 year mark

Yea, I've heard that. I never played it as much as my 360, and I've been through 2 of those, but my PS3 has gotten a LOT of blu-ray use because I'm a huge home theater guy. To be honest, I had some buyers remorse after I initially bought the PS3 wondering if I had wasted my money, but as the years have gone by, its served me well and I have no complaints now.

Yea, I've heard that. I never played it as much as my 360, and I've been through 2 of those, but my PS3 has gotten a LOT of blu-ray use because I'm a huge home theater guy. To be honest, I had some buyers remorse after I initially bought the PS3 wondering if I had wasted my money, but as the years have gone by, its served me well and I have no complaints now.

yeah no doubt. 600$ for six years is good.

man, all this whining about consoles being useless to those who have powerful PCs.. I just don't understand it. I have a cutting edge PC, but I choose to do 90% of my gaming on 360. Just can't beat a 60" screen, lounging back in the recliner with a coffee and 5.1 sound.

My PC is an MMO machine as far as gaming goes, period.

man, all this whining about consoles being useless to those who have powerful PCs.. I just don't understand it. I have a cutting edge PC, but I choose to do 90% of my gaming on 360. Just can't beat a 60" screen, lounging back in the recliner with a coffee and 5.1 sound.

if it was simply a matter of big screens and surround sound I would plug my pc into my tv/surround and play.

Console gaming is a different feel to me, much more laid back and at times more enjoyable. I don't really know how to explain it but console gaming and pc gaming are two different types of enjoyment while gaming for me.

Seriously? You can't hook up your computer to your 60"? Considering how easily the 360 controller works with modern PC games (most have it premapped to function exactly as it would on the 360), I don't see how this is a plus for consoles at all. It's a neutral point at best, it's a minus for consoles if you consider that you're getting a better visual experience from the PC with the same ease of use.

Not console hatin' just saying, if you've got a 60" there's no reason not to have your consoles and your PC hooked up to it.

Last edited:
I have a PS3, 360 and a HTPC all hooked up to my 67" TV. I find that I play a lot of games on my HTPC through my TV, games that are also available on my PS3 or 360, but my HTPC is far more powerful so I can run full 1080p res and max AA settings which just looks better than the 360 or PS3. I have a second gaming PC connected to a Dell U3011 30" monitor which serves for games that I need to use a mouse and keyboard like RPG's.

I have a PS3, 360 and a HTPC all hooked up to my 67" TV. I find that I play a lot of games on my HTPC through my TV, games that are also available on my PS3 or 360, but my HTPC is far more powerful so I can run full 1080p res and max AA settings which just looks better than the 360 or PS3. I have a second gaming PC connected to a Dell U3011 30" monitor which serves for games that I need to use a mouse and keyboard like RPG's.

67" Tv, that is HUGE. I play on a 17" monitor lol.

Back