New Xbox 360 (w/ larger HDD and HDMI) PIC!

If there's a trade-up program for $50-$100 (depending on whether HD-DVD and 802.11abg are included), I'll be happy. Otherwise, I'll be a bit annoyed. Either way, I really enjoy my 360, and don't regret the $400 I spent on it.

The HDMI thing is a bit niche, but if it can do DVI+optical, that'd make me very happy.

i just see this as a good thing as far as price drops.

i would not be opposed to purchasing the 20gb model for $299, as long as it used the 65nm procs. other than that, the additional features arent all that necessary to me. and if anything if i need another HD, just ghost the 20gb to a 100gb and throw it in.

i just see this as a good thing as far as price drops.

and if anything if i need another HD, just ghost the 20gb to a 100gb and throw it in.

This isn't possible without modding the 360, and as of yet there isn't even a mod that allows it.

The die shrink isn't a problem, that's just a normal part of development, it has no real effect on how the console works or performs, although a cooled down, quieter version of the x360 would be pretty sweet, if they could manage a package shrink, something like what happened with the slimline ps2 that would be awesome (although obviously that wasn't just a die shrink, the were able re-engineer the chipset into fewer chips as well).

The HDD isn't a problem, that was always going to be an upgrade option later.

We all knew what we were buying.

What has me a little bit peeved is the HDMI, this specific story may be pulled out of someones ass, but if it's true it marks a very bad turn-around for the console model.

People talking about Passats and Apples are idiots, the car and pc markets are not analogous to the console market, PCs and cars get updated quite frequently, there is a quicker technology turn-around, it is built into the model, and with that, expectaton.

With consoles there is an expectation that there will be a certain base functionality for a certain period of time, and any changes in functionality will be optional, and available as accessories for any version of the console throughout it's life cycle.

This HDMI thing is not something that purchasers of the console before a certain point, well under halfway through the expectational life-cycle of the console, can ever avail of, and that fucks up the model, and undermines how consoles are supposed to work.

And that sucks.

If you want to equate this to volkswagens, then this is more like, volkswagen releasing a 2007 passat and saying "We will not make a better performing Passat until 2011, all that we will change is the color, and maybe upholstery options, and some stuff under the hood that will make it cheaper to produce, but won't affect performance", and then in 2008 releasing a better performing Passat.

Except of course MS never actually stated that they would upgrade the console, they evaded when asked and allowed us the assume the rest based on expectations of how the console development model worked.

Weasels.

http://360.xbox-hq.com/xbox-tutorials-17.html

came across this a while ago, and it seems simple. now i'm not into the 360 scene all that much (dont have one), so i couldnt attest to anything else that needs to be done to make this mod possible.

That's the first I've ever heard of it, and it was from back in March.

People at xboxscene still swear up and down that it's not possible, but I'll admit that I've never tried ghosting the HDD.

Someone try it...lol

Except of course MS never actually stated that they would upgrade the console, they evaded when asked and allowed us the assume the rest based on expectations of how the console development model worked.

Weasels.

OMG YOUR SO RIGHT! Lets boycott MS for coming out with a better version with better things. SCREW THEM! They are Weasels! They should of just kept it the same, not update it! Thats like...like...weasilish!

But seriously, are you actually getting mad at them for coming out with a better version? And you think this is bad? I have 3 Xbox360's that I have in my house and it makes no sense for getting mad at them. And your also mad they didn't tell you they were coming out with a better version? Im sorry... :rolleyes:

The die shrink isn't a problem, that's just a normal part of development, it has no real effect on how the console works or performs, although a cooled down, quieter version of the x360 would be pretty sweet, if they could manage a package shrink, something like what happened with the slimline ps2 that would be awesome (although obviously that wasn't just a die shrink, the were able re-engineer the chipset into fewer chips as well).

The HDD isn't a problem, that was always going to be an upgrade option later.

We all knew what we were buying.

What has me a little bit peeved is the HDMI, this specific story may be pulled out of someones ass, but if it's true it marks a very bad turn-around for the console model.

People talking about Passats and Apples are idiots, the car and pc markets are not analogous to the console market, PCs and cars get updated quite frequently, there is a quicker technology turn-around, it is built into the model, and with that, expectaton.

With consoles there is an expectation that there will be a certain base functionality for a certain period of time, and any changes in functionality will be optional, and available as accessories for any version of the console throughout it's life cycle.

This HDMI thing is not something that purchasers of the console before a certain point, well under halfway through the expectational life-cycle of the console, can ever avail of, and that fucks up the model, and undermines how consoles are supposed to work.

And that sucks.

If you want to equate this to volkswagens, then this is more like, volkswagen releasing a 2007 passat and saying "We will not make a better performing Passat until 2011, all that we will change is the color, and maybe upholstery options, and some stuff under the hood that will make it cheaper to produce, but won't affect performance", and then in 2008 releasing a better performing Passat.

Weasels.

Ok here's the thing though: The base functionality remains the same (from all we know)

The ONLY thing now is the addition of an HDMI port on the back and the possibility of playing back at 1080p. (which might even be total bs, since this story is unsubstantiated as of yet)

But what do I know, I'm just an idiot I suppose.

I really don't care about HDMI, but we already know the 65nm was coming, and people have been complaining about needing a larger hard drive, so hopefully we at least see those two things soon. I think it's quite possible. They just need to greatly reduce the price of the 20 gig drive, that is sold seperately, and if they offer the 120 gig drive seperately, price it around the same as a computer HD of the same size. And if it gets put in the new systems, with the 65nm die, keep the system priced at 400 bucks.

This sucks, You cant compare an HDTV purchase in the 1st year to this. A TV has a substansialy longer lifespan than a console. Picking one up 1 year after the date it came out isnt jumping the gun. At least if a new version was comming out somone shoulda said somthing.

Anyone who dosnt understand why HDMI is nice or even DVI for that matter needs to get 2 LCD computer monitors hooked up to a dual head videocard, one on the VGA and one on the DVI. The DVI always looks better. Ide asume the same would apply to hdmi compared to the VGA on xbox.

Umm... people do realise that the only thing you lose on the 360 by using component (instad of VGA / HDMI) is upscaled DVDs? You can do 1080p for games / hd-dvd etc, it's been that way since November.

Amazes me people are pissed off about this (especially as it's only a rumour).

Yah 1080p over component will only work on SOME tvs

and it sure as hell wont work when the HDCP( or whatever the stupid name is) protection starts kicking in.
The only way most people can get 1080p is with VGA... and that sucks cause again alot of tvs dont use TV levels and use VGA ones.....

So Yah it is kinda a big deal

I'm really interested in the larger drive. I will prolly just purchase the upgrade when they put it out. But, if there's some sort of step-up program that lets you trade in your "old" 360 I might do that.

I dunno, I think everyone needs to calm down. The amount of people who will be able to take advantage of the HDMI port is minimal. Secondly, the die shrink really won't save a ton of heat but it will save MS a lot of money.

The main thing most will benefit from this update will be a larger hard drive and everyone will be able to get that. :D

Unlike the Ipod and Macbook arguments, which may be valid, an Xbox exchange program may not be.

What apple does is keep every new thing secret until the day its available, so while there are rumors of a better ipod, or a better macbook, the official line is no there wont be one anytime soon. So someone spending 3000 on a laptop may be all of a sudden outdated less than 24 hours later.

I see MS announcing this a mile away, and giving people plenty of time to wait before purchasing if they so choose. If MS came out with the new XBOX as a surprise on December 26th, or even sometime in the next few days, then all those who bought it for Xmas may be angry, and justifiably so. MS knew about this and yet drummed up the current version. If they announce it saying it will be out in March, or June, or whatever, then people from now on will have a choice of waiting or buying, while those who bought for Xmas will get the benefit of the Xbox for months before being outdated.

Weasels.

That's the problem I have with this ... we've been hearing about a HDMI cable for some time but never a new 360 with a HDMI port.

Oh and I wonder what you guys would say if we were talking about the PS3 instead of the 360. ;)

Umm... people do realise that the only thing you lose on the 360 by using component (instad of VGA / HDMI) is upscaled DVDs? You can do 1080p for games / hd-dvd etc, it's been that way since November.
You can only do 1080i for HD-DVDs over component. That said, there are other issues, like audio, which really keep the 360 from being "as good" as the current HD-DVD standalone players.

You can only do 1080i for HD-DVDs over component. That said, there are other issues, like audio, which really keep the 360 from being "as good" as the current HD-DVD standalone players.
I see... had read bad information. Thanks.

Oh and I wonder what you guys would say if we were talking about the PS3 instead of the 360. ;)

Sony added functionality with the slim PS2. I don't remember hearing anyone complain.

This is all a bunch of BS. Live with your purchase. I didn't buy a 360 over the holidays for this very reason. Did you think they would ONLY change the chip to 65nm considering the larger HDD specs of the PS3? Did you not think that the addition of HDMI was also a possibility?

Do I want to play 360 right now? Hell yes, badly. But I held off on my purchase because I had the feeling this would happen.

There are two routes you can go with ANY tech:

a) Buy at launch or near launch. Yes, you risk getting bad hardware. But you also guarantee that your console/computer/whatever will not be upgraded for quite some time. I've done this and gotten burned (bad MacBook logic board), but I took that risk knowing that was a possibility.

b) Wait until the bugs are worked out and purchase the unit after some of the problems have been fixed. If you opt for this, you have to realize that there's a very real possibility that your purchase could be upgraded AT ANY DAY. I've also done this before and seen upgrades pop up a few days down the road. But I didn't complain. It's part of the business. Don't blame MS because you were too lazy to properly research the subject and come to the logical conclusion that an update was quite possibly right around the corner.

And whoever mentions that MS should warn people that this is going to happen needs to be slapped. You know absolutely nothing about marketing (a field I happen to work in). You absolutely KILL sales with an early announcement of a pending upgrade that is not available yet. I've had some of my clients fail to meet a product deadline and watched their sales spiral as their marketing campaigns focused on a non-existant product. No once wanted their current model because they were advertising a better unit for the same price so they took a HUGE loss for two months. No company with a brain would ever do that to themselves intentionally.

One thing that just occurred to me... most early adopters bought a 360 that was capable of 1080i which got upgraded to 1080p for free. Likelyhood is that when you bought the console you were happy with the fact it didn't have HDMI (and all / anything that entails) so not sure what the complaints are about now.

Unless you were expecting a cable - which MS has never said was coming.

Sony added functionality with the slim PS2. I don't remember hearing anyone complain.

This is all a bunch of BS. Live with your purchase. I didn't buy a 360 over the holidays for this very reason. Did you think they would ONLY change the chip to 65nm considering the larger HDD specs of the PS3? Did you not think that the addition of HDMI was also a possibility?

Do I want to play 360 right now? Hell yes, badly. But I held off on my purchase because I had the feeling this would happen.

There are two routes you can go with ANY tech:

a) Buy at launch or near launch. Yes, you risk getting bad hardware. But you also guarantee that your console/computer/whatever will not be upgraded for quite some time. I've done this and gotten burned (bad MacBook logic board), but I took that risk knowing that was a possibility.

b) Wait until the bugs are worked out and purchase the unit after some of the problems have been worked out. If you opt for this, you have to realize that there's a very real possibility that your purchase could be upgraded AT ANY DAY. I've also done this before and seen upgrades pop up a few days down the road. But I didn't complain. It's part of the business.

And whoever mentions that MS should warn people that this is going to happen need to be slapped. You know absolutely nothing about marketing (a field I happen to work in). You absolutely KILL sales with an early announcement of a pending upgrade that is not available yet. I've had some of my clients fail to meet a product deadline and watched their sales spiral as their marketing campaigns focused on a non-existant product. No once wanted their current model because they were advertising a better unit for the same price so they took a HUGE loss for two months. No company with a brain would ever do that to themselves intentionally.

This man speaks the truth. If MS was the "good guy" and announced some time ago that the system they came out with was going to be 3 up'ed in 6 months they wouldn't have sold 9 million units, game makers wouldn't be breaking exclusives with Sony to produce for the 360, and all of you wouldn't be clamoring to get one.

.... well except for the fact that details have just been leeked, concerning a new XBOX360, with bigger hard drive and HDMI port, which wont be out for months yet, but that was kinda the point of the thread.

Why should they?

Should VW give you a 2008 Passat for your 2007 that you just bought?
No because that industry isn't as volatile as ms consoles or apple computers. Everyone always knows a new model is going to come out with cars thats why people wait if they want to.

The same cannot be said for ms and the 360 in this situation.

No because that industry isn't as volatile as ms consoles or apple computers. Everyone always knows a new model is going to come out with cars thats why people wait if they want to.

The same cannot be said for ms and the 360 in this situation.

So I guess MS should have let Sony continue to have a larger HDD and options like HDMI that the current 360 lacks.

That makes sense. They should never upgrade.

TBH this should of been the premium pack and the current premium package should of been the 'core', however, if this system is true I will be holding off my purchase until these are released :D

As others have said products are constantly updated and tweaked, it comes with the territory (RE: Nintendo Gamecube with/without Digital AV Out, Nintendo DS/ DS Lite, Sony Playstation 2/ 'slim') the only reason customers should be angry is if game developers start using the hard drive leaving core users out in the cold needing to buy a HDD as that would change the X360's functionality, this update however, does not.

TBH this should of been the premium pack and the current premium package should of been the 'core', however, if this system is true I will be holding off my purchase until these are released :D

As others have said products are constantly updated and tweaked, it comes with the territory (RE: Nintendo Gamecube with/without Digital AV Out, Nintendo DS/ DS Lite, Sony Playstation 2/ 'slim') the only reason customers should be angry is if game developers start using the hard drive leaving core users out in the cold needing to buy a HDD as that would change the X360's functionality, this update however, does not.

Nintendo went the opposite way with the gamecube, though, and took the digital AV port off the later revisions, and then stopped making component cables .... what a foolish move.

Nintendo went the opposite way with the gamecube, though, and took the digital AV port off the later revisions, and then stopped making component cables .... what a foolish move.

I know I was just pointing out how companies tweak products (by removing it they made the manufacturing process cheaper). Luckily I have a Gamecube with one :D Now if only I had a tv which could support it :(

Blah blah blah

They added an Ethermet port on the slim PS2 ... wow. :rolleyes: People could buy an adapter for the phat PS2 if they needed it.

How could've I known they were gonna release a fucking hdmi port 1+ year after it came out seriously ? Right around the corner my ass ... How long did it take to hear about HDMI on the 360 ? And like I said I heard about a HDMI CABLE not port ...

If I follow your logic of "an update can come out any day" then I should wait till the 360 lifespan is over to buy it so they don't come out with a revision anymore ?

And then I realize you bought a Wii ... :rolleyes: you are not waiting for the Wii lite ? :rolleyes:

All you do is defend the 360 and bash the Sony/PS3 just like in the Wii or PS3 thread ...

The 360 !!!!!!ism is strong here. This is coming from a 360 owner who like his console and games, can you believe this ?

Out, no need to reply kthx.

They added an Ethermet port on the slim PS2 ... wow. :rolleyes: People could buy an adapter for the phat PS2 if they needed it.

I believe they also added IR support. Not sure if they added anything else.

How could've I known they were gonna release a fucking hdmi port 1+ year after it came out seriously ? Right around the corner my ass ... How long did it take to hear about HDMI on the 360 ? And like I said I heard about a HDMI CABLE not port ...

By the time it is released the 360 will be at least a year and a half old. Quit acting like you bought a launch console and then had to upgrade 3 months later.

And then I realize you bought a Wii ... :rolleyes: you are not waiting for the Wii lite ? :rolleyes:

Can you read? I clearly stated that I realize I took the risk of bad hardware by buying a Wii at launch. I also have the knowledge that the Wii will not be upgraded for quite some time.

All you do is defend the 360 and bash the Sony/PS3 just like in the Wii or PS3 thread ...

I like the Wii (that's why I bought one). I like the 360 (that's why I wanted to buy one but waited). I don't like what the PS3 is offering me. It's that simple. Two consoles offer good bang for my buck and one doesn't. I also don't like Chevys. I guess that makes me a bad person.

Can you read? I clearly stated that I realize I took the risk of bad hardware by buying a Wii at launch. I also have the knowledge that the Wii will not be upgraded for quite some time.

Hate to break it to you but there is a Wii updated version coming out that plays DVDs :(

Hate to break it to you but there is a Wii updated version coming out that plays DVDs :(
A new model of Wii will come out in Japan that will play DVDs. Who cares. It doesn't change the core functionality of the console in any way like this XBox update.

I would say it's a 'bigger' update than the xbox 360 one. It adds what? A bigger hard drive? I doubt the majority of xbox 360 owners have filled their 20gb. Another way of connecting the xbox 360 to your tv (pretty much take your choice on this one, it is only significant if ICT comes into play anyway right?). While the Wii adds DVD functionality! Hell the PS2 had this from the start :mad:

I would say it's a 'bigger' update than the xbox 360 one. It adds what? A bigger hard drive? I doubt the majority of xbox 360 owners have filled their 20gb. Another way of connecting the xbox 360 to your tv (pretty much take your choice on this one, it is only significant if ICT comes into play anyway right?). While the Wii adds DVD functionality! Hell the PS2 had this from the start :mad:

I suppose you could consider it a significant update but, like I said, I don't really care. I bought the Wii for gaming and that's what it does. Nothing changing there.

By buying near launch, I also got a free copy of Opera. Whoopee. I'm not complaining. I bought what I bought and enjoy it. Something new isn't going to change my like or dislike of my current Wii.

I suppose you could consider it a significant update but, like I said, I don't really care. I bought the Wii for gaming and that's what it does. Nothing changing there.

By buying near launch, I also got a free copy of Opera. Whoopee. I'm not complaining. I bought what I bought and enjoy it. Something new isn't going to change my like or dislike of my current Wii.

Well good! It is a further example of companies constantly changing/tweaking/updating their hardware also.

It's pretty easy to fill your hard drive up with demos...there are a ton of fun demos I play occasionally of games I wouldn't buy.

Didn't read every post so sorry if this has been discussed already but..
I really feel that the logical thing for MS to do is drop the "core" package and offer the current Premium/platinum as the starting point, with this new improved model called something else (Ultimate??:p ) and maybe a slightly higher price to pacify the early adopters..

I wonder when MS will sell all the parts seperately so I can build one up myself..... Like a PC, you know...

Back