New Xbox 360 Reliability?

MattyC

Gawd
Does anyone know if any data has been gathered on the new 360 as far as how reliable it is? I know it hasn't been out very long, but I just had my second RROD and if the new one is more reliable I would rather just pick one of those up since I am not illegible for free repair this time around.

There's some reports of it overheating and then shutting down. Others report graphical corruption. But I'm hearing no headlines about it so that's a good sign.

Nothing of significance. Obviously you take your usual chances with an electronic item though.

Most all of the old issues have long since been resolved, and aside from a few scarce reports of issues, I believe all newer 360s fall well within the standard failure rate of consumer electronics.

The fan defiantly helps the system out. It does get a little (alot sometimes) warmer on the top of the system compared to the old style. But I feel alot safer with leaving the slim on overnight than the fat system.

So far I have not had any issues. Bought mine the day they where released. It no longer red rings but you now get the flashing dot of death I believe.

Technically speaking, I've seen no reason the new 360 should have any issues what so ever. The design is very clever. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about them failing.

I agree bigdog. The blowhole (haha) really pushes a lot of hot air. Its also a lot quieter than the launch Elite I had. The only thing I have an issue with is the sensitivity of the touch buttons. I usually turn it on by accident when dusting. I can turn it on be hovering my finger over them!

I get a rattling/buzzing noise from the chrome border when a disc is in. Anybody else get that?

This is a good question, and I would love to see some actual stats on it. Just got the new 360 with Kinect this week. But actually, I had an old 360 from January 2006 that was refurbished in june 2008 and never had problems after that. So, I am going to make the general statement that 360 reliability is no longer an issue on systems produced or refurbished in 2009 or later. If anyone has data that shows otherwise please share here.

I get a rattling/buzzing noise from the chrome border when a disc is in. Anybody else get that?

Hmm I dont get any rattles from my 4gb version.

I do notice the DVD drive spins alot faster when MW2 is in the drive than my previous fat system. :confused:

Other than that no problems..

I believe the failure rate has gone down a lot since the Jasper chipset came out.

ive had a couple of 360 slims Fail on me. my firsto ne Froze alot and the second one overheated and shutdown not all the time but a good amount to make me take it back.

I have not bought another 360. they left a sour taste in my mouth. ive had MANY rrods or console failures in general.

I bought a 360 Slim 3 months ago. It froze on me the first night several times and continued to do so over the course of several days.

I returned it and got a PS3 Slim. Haven't looked back since.

Hmm I dont get any rattles from my 4gb version.

I do notice the DVD drive spins alot faster when MW2 is in the drive than my previous fat system. :confused:

Other than that no problems..

I guess I could just install all my games to the hard drive but it seems superfluous for EVERY game. It just annoys me I guess.

my buddies broke after a week... would freeze while playing games, lag really bad when playing more than one person, and only read some discs... between the 3 issues he decided to go back to the original version.

There's some reports of it overheating and then shutting down. Others report graphical corruption. But I'm hearing no headlines about it so that's a good sign.

No one's going to report anything bad about the 360 right now since Microsoft is spending $500 million advertising the Kinect. That buys lots of good reviews.

I don't know how much more reliable it is yet but it is much more quiet than my original Elite.

We have a launch elite here that is still working and we have gone through 2 xbox slims. Both systems would not stop shutting themselves down.

mines running solid since its release. between me and my roommates it probably on about 7 hours a day every day.

I bought my 360 when Dell was having their $179 sale. No issues at all with it, though I do want to nab a WD drive to expand its pathetic 4GB storage (Mostly for Madden, most of the replay/featured plays of the game don't work properly)

I bought my 360 when Dell was having their $179 sale. No issues at all with it, though I do want to nab a WD drive to expand its pathetic 4GB storage (Mostly for Madden, most of the replay/featured plays of the game don't work properly)

So there are drive caddies available for the new 360 S?

It has to be a 120 or 250GB WD Caviar Blue. These are the drives that MS uses.

I believe any Caviar Blue that is a BEVS will work (the RMA I got from my 320GB WD was actually a 640GB WD BEVS but still flashed to the 250GB fine)

I ended up picking up the new one. I hope it works out well. So far I like it. I ended up with a Kinect bundle due to a discount on them and I actually think that is pretty neat. Surprising, considering I wasn't a fan of it. I will at least give them props for going outside the Wii in that area.

My only negative there is that it really doesn't work unless you have the lights all on and people in bright colored clothing. Part of this may be due to my limited gaming space (my "gaming room" is the bonus room over my 2 car garage) of 7ish feet from the TV, but it does seem iffy in less than perfect situations. It is really fun in praty situations, when it works, though.

I'm still running my launch day Xbox 360. RROD What!?!?

As someone who had a launch system for almost 3 years and said this often I would advise you to knock on wood :p

Back