New X850 XT AGP

SilverSliver

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Feb 23, 2004
Messages
13,218
Well, on stock cooling and adjusting the fan speeds with ATiTool, I can get 537/588. This seems a bit weird? I was expecting more from the core, especially holding steady at 65 load.

Would a Silencer 5rev2 let me hit 550 core, or is this just a bum OC'ing card? If so, should I RMA to ATI?
 
SilverSliver said:
Well, on stock cooling and adjusting the fan speeds with ATiTool, I can get 537/588. This seems a bit weird? I was expecting more from the core, especially holding steady at 65 load.

Would a Silencer 5rev2 let me hit 550 core, or is this just a bum OC'ing card? If so, should I RMA to ATI?
Does the card runs stock speed ok?
If so then you should NOT RMA it...
 
I would return it... that thing might freeze up on you in do time...
 
SilverSliver said:
Well, on stock cooling and adjusting the fan speeds with ATiTool, I can get 537/588. This seems a bit weird? I was expecting more from the core, especially holding steady at 65 load.

Would a Silencer 5rev2 let me hit 550 core, or is this just a bum OC'ing card? If so, should I RMA to ATI?


RMA = Return Materials Authorization.

Purpose : To replace malfunctioning equipment.

Status of Card : Works fine at manufacturers specifications. If yes : then hardware is not malfunctioning. If No, did it BEFORE YOU FUCKED WITH IT?, If yes. then hardware is not malfunctioning.



You : "Mr. Car Dealer.. I thought I could drive this cavalier at 150 MPH cause I heard that some other guy did with his, but I Can't.. so I want to return it"

Car Dealer : "The vehicle has a 4 cylinder engine, and has a top rated speed of 113 mph, But we build them so they can go to 85 Mph. Either way, you crashed it into a wall. Get lost."

Doesn't this seem a bit silly to you?
 
I wouldn't worry about it... I've got one (at gfs place, can't remember my clock) but it wasn't all that much over stock. I also think that there would be no benefit of getting an Artic Cooler vs the stock one. Although you MIGHT get a benefit of replacing/reapplying the thermal interface.
 
m3th0dm4n said:
I also think that there would be no benefit of getting an Artic Cooler vs the stock one.

Huh? Temps are generally lowered 5-10deg under load with this cooler, not to mention how much quieter it runs. Although it just sounds like your card isn't much of racehorse. Instead of doing an RMA just try to return to the retailer and buy a new one.
 
SilverSliver said:
Well, on stock cooling and adjusting the fan speeds with ATiTool, I can get 537/588. This seems a bit weird? I was expecting more from the core, especially holding steady at 65 load.

Would a Silencer 5rev2 let me hit 550 core, or is this just a bum OC'ing card? If so, should I RMA to ATI?

I went from 424 (@78C) to 440 (@57C) by adding the ATI Silencer 5 rev.2

Not that comparing my X800XL to your X850XT means anything, but I think you aught to be able to get there with better cooling.
 
Are you basing your OC on AtiTool artifact finding? If so you might have it on the setting to find more artifacts and that will really limit your OC. I think ATiTool recommended me at 560/580 but I have it at 580/610 and see no artifacts in really world apps, like BF2.
Use ATiTool to set your OC, but then test it out (and watch those temps!) in another program (like a game).
 
My experience with overclocking and cooling modifactions on my card didn't really result in anything fantastic. I knew I had a strong core (memory is poo) capable of being overclocked 60+mhz. Then artifacting or lock-ups would start. So I added a Zalman cooler which completely controls the temps. Never see over 63°C load at stock speeds and heat related lock-ups are long gone. However, the new cooler didn't add really anything to my cards maximum overclocking ability. Probaly need more volts to push higher without artifacts.

So, it's great to have all heat issues resolved and a 5-7% gain in frame rates. But that's about it. No great strides in overclocking and overall performance, but it was well worth it. And fun too. ;)

Good luck with your x800xt.
smoke.gif
 
Even vice versa ATITool recommended me 560/590(and above but I stopped it) and when I played WoW and casted the one spell I got a big yellow square so im thinking of a v1 possibly although im hesitant to change the cooler.
 
SilverSliver said:
Well, on stock cooling and adjusting the fan speeds with ATiTool, I can get 537/588. This seems a bit weird? I was expecting more from the core, especially holding steady at 65 load.

Would a Silencer 5rev2 let me hit 550 core, or is this just a bum OC'ing card? If so, should I RMA to ATI?

you make RMA workers job harder, way to go! if you RMA that card, or ANYONE here recomends that, you, yes you are very pathitic, did the card work for you at stock speeds? yeah? ok keep it, if you want to overclock you are not only voiding the warentee, but you are stressing parts, yes i overclock, but i take a risk, am i gonna rma something cause it wont overclock? uhh no, cause it works

man serriously, grow up, and get over it, sell it on e bay and buy another if you dont like it


soulsaver_8229
 
BIg deal, RMA workers just sit on there ass all day anyway. I buy things and break 'em just so I can RMA them. I think they enjoy the extra work.
 
To everyone who disagrees with RMA'ing hardware without good reason:

Give it a rest. PM the person if you really care, otherwise you're just gunnin for attention.
 
Can I just ask what it is you want out of this card?

Are you not seeing the preformance you want or is it an ego thing? I am being serious, I dont care if its bragging rights, thats fine with me, I am just wondering what you want it OCed for.

That being said I have my X850XTPE OCed, I have no real reason to. I can max every game out and it will run fine (including BF2), but I still OC it to 580/610 just because I can. (540/590 is stock).
 
Oreo1 said:
To everyone who disagrees with RMA'ing hardware without good reason:

Give it a rest. PM the person if you really care, otherwise you're just gunnin for attention.

well at least you didnt say i was jealous :rolleyes:

serriously tho, its lame, because i card wont overclock which voids any warentee you want to rma it? thats so freeking lame serriously
and i could care less about attention, i dont need it, nor want it, but when someone says hey imma rma this card cause it "dosent go past the RECOMENDED spec" yeah, that deserves negitve attention


soulsaver_8229
 
Back
Top