New Windows Critical Update

qdemn7

Supreme [H]ardness
"SIGH" :rolleyes: Another new Critical Update only 104kb, no reboot necessary. http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Critical Update for ADODB.stream (KB870669) An issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Nobody panic, there is no exploit available for this yet. Thanks for the heads-up, although I'm sure most members here have their computers set to auto update. :)

Are there inane threads like this on the *nix part of the forum whenever Red Hat or SuSe releases a critical update? How about every OS X update, for which there were currently two that plugged critical holes?

While informing people that updates are available is nice and all, it's rather annoying and stupid to imply that Microsoft is the only operating system software company that is releasing regular critical updates. Over the course of the first six months of this year, there were an equal or more instances of updates for various *nixes.

Seriously, can we not do the whole "updates means insecure" fallacy here?

GreNME said:
Are there inane threads like this on the *nix part of the forum whenever Red Hat or SuSe releases a critical update? How about every OS X update, for which there were currently two that plugged critical holes?

While informing people that updates are available is nice and all, it's rather annoying and stupid to imply that Microsoft is the only operating system software company that is releasing regular critical updates. Over the course of the first six months of this year, there were an equal or more instances of updates for various *nixes.

Seriously, can we not do the whole "updates means insecure" fallacy here?
Nope. People are just more likely to exploit a windows flaw. Plus, windows users tend to be more out of the loop and naive than mac or linux users. But it does get annoying seeing constant "OMG update now" threads. Turn on auto update, use a firewall, problem solved.

People are just more likely to exploit a windows flaw.
Not quite. More like a few jerks out there are going to be willing to take the time and aim at the OS with 95% market share instead of the one with 3-4% or the one with 1.5%. After that, thousands of idiot skiddies will rewrite the same damn code over and over and believe that they are 31337 h4x0rZ for it.

Plus, windows users tend to be more out of the loop and naive than mac or linux users.
Actually, Mac users are just as naive, they just have a smaller moving target than Windows. Linux users are usually more on top of such things, but the growing number of people who run even their *nix distros as root is growing.

Turn on auto update, use a firewall, problem solved.
Both of which already exist in the OS built-in, and thankfully, are both on by default with the next service pack.

Like I said, informing others of an update is just fine. I made it a point to let my Mac-using friends know of the Safari update and the other one that came before it. That's just good sense with computing. However, had I been a total dick about it and said, "*SIGH* :rolleyes: Yet another security update for the Mac. Better go secure yourselves," I would deserve a good kick in the groin for it (or worse).

There exists no software that is exploit-proof, and nothing that doesn't have holes. Pointing out that a software is actually being patched before there exists an exploit for it in a complaining manner is a perfect example of complaining about nothing at all just for the sake of complaining about that thing. I know lots of people have a hard-on for picking on Billy-boy since he's the biggest dog on the block, but doing it in this manner is just goofy. There are plenty of other things to bitch about that are far more constructive.

Back