New Widescreen LCD

Lyrids

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
320
My 15" IBM LCD just isn't cutting it anymore so I want to upgrade to something bigger and better. The Viewsonic VX2025WM has really caught my eye and unless someone has anything to say about another monitor that should sway my opinion I'm probably going to go ahead and buy it. Opinions?
 
It's going to be a gift so budget isn't much of an issue. My dad is a conservative though and he actually recommended the Viewsonic (after I had made my own decision). He's probably partisan due to the low $300 pricetag though. I would say no more than $450.
 
I have the viewsonic. If i had to do it over again, I might go with the Acer AL2051W. Same panel, just glossy screen instead of the anti-glare coating.
 
Whereas I have the ViewSonic, and I'd stick with it. :p

Matter of preferance. My laptop has a glossy screen, and I can't get over having to see the rest of the room in the reflection! Up to you.
 
Your dad just made your shopping easy. Since he's seen the Viewsonic and likes it, there's really nothing better in that price range, IMHO, not that the vx2025 is an excellent unit. The Vx2025 is the best 'deal' under 450 for a widescreen.

Dell would be the obvious first choice but due to banding and a half-assed fix, I can't recommend them; especially as a gift to pops!
 
deb0 said:
Your dad just made your shopping easy. Since he's seen the Viewsonic and likes it, there's really nothing better in that price range, IMHO, not that the vx2025 is an excellent unit. The Vx2025 is the best 'deal' under 450 for a widescreen.

Dell would be the obvious first choice but due to banding and a half-assed fix, I can't recommend them; especially as a gift to pops!

I think it's a gift to himself from the pops. :)
 
animasaki said:
Matter of preferance. My laptop has a glossy screen, and I can't get over having to see the rest of the room in the reflection! Up to you.
Glossy screens aren't bad at all if you have control over the lighting.

Like animasaki said, it depends on what you prefer. I'd say the VX2025 and AL2051W are what you should be deciding over at this price point. Can't go wrong with either of them.
 
I'm going to get the Acer and give the viewsonic to my GF for her desk.

If you check the viewsonic 2025wm thread you will find that I figured out some tweaks such as increasing the amount of light hitting the front of the screen, using truetype fonts and font tuner powertoy, adjusting the brightness and contrast so you aren't "staring into a lightbulb", and most importantly bumping up the image sharpening slider in nvidia's color correction panel from the default. This made the problem I had with the frost layer and text minimal, but its still alittle like looking through a thin film/screen sometimes. I think its a good monitor, but I'd prefer the glare screen.

I had a 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1280 glossy screen laptop for about a month before I returned it, and the glare screen looked incredibly rich and deep without the frost/screen/text problem, so I have an idea of how the Acer's glossy screen should look hopefully.

I could live with the viewsonic and be pretty happy but as it turns out I don't have to live with the anti-glare coating if I don't want to :)
 
Back
Top