New WD1001FALS is slow

asyork

2[H]4U
I just got a new 1TB WD Caviar Black drive, and it is slower than I expected. I put a fresh install of Win 7 home on it, and the rest of the system is in my sig. I installed Intel Matrix Storage Manager to see if that would help at all, and it did nothing noticeable. AHCI is enabled. I have my pagefile disabled, and nothing else running that should be interfering with the test.

Crystal Disk Mark tests:

1000MB test size with 9 tests:
Sequential Read : 109.799 MB/s
Sequential Write : 108.683 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 37.682 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 65.687 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 0.698 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 1.685 MB/s

100MB test size with 9 tests:
Sequential Read : 96.436 MB/s
Sequential Write : 92.931 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 33.825 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 70.967 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 0.512 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 1.982 MB/s

It's still faster than my old drive, but I was expecting more. Is there something I can do to speed it up at all?

Lol. Slow? Those speeds are good for a 1tb drive, sorry its not as fast as velociraptor or an SSD

Lol. Slow? Those speeds are good for a 1tb drive, sorry its not as fast as velociraptor or an SSD

I checked a few sources, and while my sequential numbers were similar, the rest were quite a bit lower. And yes, I compared vs. other 1 TB blacks. Also, I tested it before formatting and reinstalling, and it was faster then. I didn't save the numbers thought because I wasn't expecting a big change with a fresh install. I figure most of my access won't be sequential.

"Slow" may have been the wrong word, but after checking other numbers, I was hoping for a little more. If I decide I care enough to do it, I'll boot from another drive and test this one again without it running my OS.

1tbBlack.jpg

I used to have a couple of these WD Black drives. You can disable AAM (Automatic Acoustic Management) and you'll see a significant jump in performance. The drive will be louder during seeks, however. I used a program called WinAAM to set the AAM setting to 254 which disables the acoustic management (the WD Black drives are set to 128 by default).

Back