New WD hard drive dead?

vapor

n00b
Just put together a new computer for office purposes yesterday with a Western Digital 80GB 8MB hard drive. At first, everything went without a hitch, I was able to install Windows XP Pro without any problems. However, when I turned the computer on today, I noticed that the previously quiet seek noise was replaced with a loud, high pitched grinding noise. Getting into Windows took about 3 minutes, and when I was able to get into Windows I got a blue screen Kernal error. Is my brand new hard drive defective after a day?

Here are the system specs:
Barton 2500+ (stock)
MSI K7N2 Delta-L (latest BIOS)
512MB PC3200 Samsung
HIS Radeon 9000 128MB
LG 52x CDROM
WD 80GB 8MB 7200RPM
Antec SLK3700BQE
Antec SmartPower 350W

High pitched screetching sound is not good, sounds like it's dropped a head or something. I'd RMA it.

Just because it's brand new doesn't mean it can't fail. If it was banged against something or dropped or anything, it can break easily.

RMA time.

WDC is great with RMA....Ive done 2 with them and they both were Advanced RMA...they do take a CC# and will charge you if you dont return the defective. It took about 5 days to get to me here in SoFlo. People were nice and advance rma'ing is awesome cause you just pack it right back in the package the replacement came in. I will never buy another brand hard drive....WDC for life!

The hard drive gave up, it wasn't able to be detected in any computer. Just went back to NCIX and got a new drive. Sigh, two of five WD drives have died on me so far :( .

Back