New WC installation, comp occassionally boots

SioPao

Limp Gawd
Well, I finally got my new watercooling setup in. Put it in my case today, and everything just freezes when it tries to detect the hardware. Trying to enter the BIOS usually displays just single blue line across the screen.

Twice it booted fine into windows. I've flashed the latest bios and tried clearing the cmos. But it still usually hangs at the hardware detection screen before loading windows.

Temps are around ~30

Setup:

Epox 8rda+
XP2500, was at 3200
2x512 Corsair TwinX LL
160g Seagate
80g WD

Hydor L30 ( Loud little thing )
D-Tek Procore
Maze3
Criticool Relay

do you have a fan plugged into the CPU FAN header on the motherboard? that can cause stuff like that. you should also try remounting the waterblock, just in case.

I had the fan that's for my radiator plugged in to that initially. It's a 120mm Enermax at like ~1700rpms I think is what it showed while trying to post.

I haven't tried reseating the waterblock because I wasn't sure how that would effect it unless I managed to crack the core a little. If that happened I wouldn't think I would *sometimes* get into windows tho. But I'll check it out after work.

What do you have WC'ed on the mobo?...nb,sb,cpu,gpu???

If just cpu pull the WB out and put in a hsf cooler and see if that helps (you man be getting water flow problems or bad contact between wb and cpu.

It's just the cpu. I'll remove it tonite and check it out. I assumed it was fine since I had decent temps that sometimes showed up when it tried to post.

A co-worker thinks that I cracked the core as he experienced the same problems when he did this once before. A little depressing, but I've got a mobile athlon on the way coincidently.

I had thought if you cracked the core it would be pretty much dead, but maybe that isn't the case.

I had a Duron 650 that had been crushed...still works. Can't kill that goddamn chip. Ran 1100 on air cooling. Seemed it would short out occasionally due to artic silver, silicon seemed to stop those problems.

Sounds like that's what I've done then. Has some AS5 on it now, a little disappointing, could have sold it or built another computer for it or something :/

The only other possibility besides CPU I could see is if you maybe blasted something on the mobo with some static. Did you haveto remove it to install the Wb?

Ya, everything was removed for about a week, did some dremeling and such to the case and motherboard tray.

But I can't do much now until I get back from work around 6. Seems that the main suspect now is a cracked core. It's a shame, people seem to buy these unlocked bartons for atleast what retail ones are going for now a days.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check into it more when I'm home.

did you blow it out really good after you dremeled? little metal chips could be getting on your motherboard and causing things to be all funny.

anyone else see the problem?????

120mm enermax fan (those things can push some air) hooked up to the cpu header? you probably drew wayyyyyy to much power out of the cpu header. I did that when i was a noob with a thermaltake smartfan II.....i powered it up and heard a small pop and machine shut down....luckily that was with an old k6-2 350mhz machine so no loss....

Originally posted by computerpro3
anyone else see the problem?????

120mm enermax fan (those things can push some air) hooked up to the cpu header? you probably drew wayyyyyy to much power out of the cpu header. I did that when i was a noob with a thermaltake smartfan II.....i powered it up and heard a small pop and machine shut down....luckily that was with an old k6-2 350mhz machine so no loss....

That is possible...but it was a low rpm fan with 3 prong adapter on it. It has been my experience that most fans that will burn out a 3 pin header will not come with a 3 prong adapter.

hmmmm thats a good point, but also, many fans such as the thermaltake which is almost as powerful as the volcano did. What is the exact model and power requirements of the enermax? If its the adjustable one I'm thinking of the headers popped.....

I'll definitely look into that. It's the manual adjustable enermax, don't know what it pulls exactly. But it was always on the lowest setting. I completely washed everything after I dremeled, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'll check the fan stuff, never thought of that. It's running at like 1600rpms or something, don't know what it draws at that level.

I'm heading out of the office now, be home around 6. I'll check everything out, thanks again for the help.

Just found this real quick:

http://www.svc.com/en12vasphipe1.html

That's fan I'm using, always been on the lowest setting.

Wow. Just unhooked that 120mm, and it seems to have booted just fine. I would have never thought about that.

Only reason it's straight into the mobo is because 3/4 of the dials on my nexus are dead. In windows now, no fan on the radiator and it's been holding steady at 35C idle for about 10min.

Pump is still rattling too loud tho :(

But thanks very much computerpro3, wouldn't have thought of that. Appears everything is perfect now.

haha, if only I had the money to spare. I think I'm going to have to buy a new pump even tho I just got this one, driving me crazy.

Stupid ass enermax. They should know the wattage that headers are able to put out before burning, why give a 3 prong adapter... :/

Originally posted by laws_69
That is possible...but it was a low rpm fan with 3 prong adapter on it. It has been my experience that most fans that will burn out a 3 pin header will not come with a 3 prong adapter.
No this is incorrect. i have an old Alpha PEP heatsink with a high power delta and it is hooked up to a 3->4 pin converter. It can damage your headers it says so on many HSF with high power fans.

Just look at the mobo's specs for power output on the fan plugs and compare to the requirements on the fan label.

Well thankfully it didn't harm anything at all. It's running with a good, rattling pump at around 34º, 11x210.

Originally posted by Qveon
No this is incorrect. i have an old Alpha PEP heatsink with a high power delta and it is hooked up to a 3->4 pin converter. It can damage your headers it says so on many HSF with high power fans.

Just look at the mobo's specs for power output on the fan plugs and compare to the requirements on the fan label.

What I said isn't always incorrect. Manufacturers should not stick a 3 prong adapter in the packaging with a fan that should be run via a molex. That is just retarded on their part.

Back