new watercooling setup

darkunitzero

Limp Gawd
So I've been out of watercooling for a few years now so I'm going to need some suggestions.

My current build is a 775 socket with
- D-Tek v1
- Swiftech MCW-60
- Liang D5 non-varible
- Swiftech 3x120 rad
- 7/16" ID (5/8" OD)tubing
- 1/2" OD barbs all around
- T line

My new build is going to be
- Intel Core i7 980x
- Asus Rampage III
- ATI Radeon 5970

I'm thinking of re-purposing the
- Liang D5
- Swiftech 3x120 rad

Possibly purchasing
- Koolance 350/360, Heatkiller
- Swiftech 5970 Epsilon full block
- Tygon tubing
- Swiftech res

I may keep the D-Tek since the board supports 775 mounts but I know there are some blocks that'll do a better job. What do you think?

Last edited:
Your original setup is pretty solid for the time period. Great thing about it is that most of it is reusable, always nice when dealing with watercooling component prices.

Honestly, your swiftech radiator is a solid radiator no need to remove it from the loop. However a single 3x120 rad may not give you the best overclocks with an i7 CPU and a dual GPU card like the 5970. Possibly consider adding another 1x120 or 2x120 to the loop if you intend on keeping the temps within 10 degrees of ambient w/average fans.

The mcw-60 is a good performing GPU block. It performs above most full coverage blocks, though it isn't as pretty. Also the non-Full Coverage nature of the block forces you to include secondary cooling to keep the rest of the GPU in check. The simpler solution is a full coverage block, but for higher overclocks you can't beat dedicated GPU waterblocks like the MCW-60 or newer MCW-80. If it's looks you are going for, avoid the swiftech full coverage blocks. Just about every other full coverage block looks better at the same performance mark.

CPU waterblock advice... EK Supreme HF is top dog performance wise, after that it's heatkillers. Heatkillers look better IMO though. Avoid Koolance for anything other than quick disconnects...

Tygon tubing is always a good idea and your mobo and CPU choices are good as well.

Good luck and post some pics once you get the build completed!

The 5970 waterblocks are going to pretty much match up the same as the 5870's:
http://translate.google.com/transla...&prev=/search?q=5870+waterblock+roundup&hl=en
I personally prefer a full coverage block like the EK - you're pretty much as close to ambient as you can get with any waterblock, but I like the ram to be cool.
There's a fair amount of suspicious wares from koolance, though I think they get more flack then they really earned. I know on red raider they despise the brand, but most will admit to owning several parts.
The 360 is an alright block by reviews. I'm not going out and buying it myself - I own an EK supreme HF nickel plated and chromed - but I wouldn't go so far as to say avoid them.

Thanks for the input. For mcw60 on the 5970, is it as simple as grabbing another block and some more unisinks?

Adding another res isn't a bad idea, I have plenty of room in my case.

What are the best barb/tubing sizing. Before I had 1/2" OD (not sure on ID) barbs with 7/16" ID tubing. Is there a better recommended size this time around?

Btw, where is the best place to buy watercooling gear now? I use to buy my stuff through Petra but I'm guessing they went out of business...

Last edited:
another reservoir? or do you mean to add another radiator. A high clocked 980x and 5970 might put out more heat then a single 120x3 can handle.
Actually I'm not sure if the MCM60 is compatible with the 5970 - you'll have to look that one up. The epsilon is obviously compatible.
1/2 barbs with 7/8 tubing isn't bad at all - a lot people swear by that. I prefer 3/8 tubing myself, but more for my own aesthetics then anything. In the end, most tubing performs the same (I think tested, they perform within negligible indexes of each other).

ops i meant rad. i could go with my old 3x120mm and maybe 1 or 2 120mm rad. any good sites to purchase from?

You can also look at koolertek, they usually have some decent prices. Cheapest barbs on the internet. Unfortunately they aren't the cheapest at other things, but it's another option. Also, their lapping kit is very convenient, I can't find anyone else that carries them.

for using twin mcw60s with the 5970 you will need to see if the CSK kit from swiftech is compatible. It says it is on their site but you should double check before purchasing. I have had email conversations with swiftech in the past. They are very quick to respond and very helpful. Try sending them an email to get a difinitive answer.

Looks like I'll be going with the EK Supreme HF plexi and the EK 5970 full coverblock.

res>pump>3x120rad>cpu>1x120>5970>back to res

Hopefully my 5970 doesn't have that cold bug.

Back