New watercooling setup, need input.

EK.....meh. After their waterblock asshat moves a couple years ago I wouldn't buy their stuff if they were giving it away.:eek:

I've never run two pumps at the same time? I can't see an advantage.

If one fails pump #2 can maintain flow.

Btw if one siezes wouldn't it block flow? In that case parallel with 2 y splitters sounds better .(just thinking out loud, I'm a WC newb)

If one fails pump #2 can maintain flow.

Btw if one siezes wouldn't it block flow? In that case parallel with 2 y splitters sounds better .(just thinking out loud, I'm a WC newb)

I'm not really worried about failure.
My oldest 655 is pushing 6 years in at least three systems, still works like a champ and no reason to even think about replacement yet......if it does, then I get to buy all new stuff.:D

I'm not really worried about failure.
My oldest 655 is pushing 6 years in at least three systems, still works like a champ and no reason to even think about replacement yet......if it does, then I get to buy all new stuff.:D

Well I'm worried about downtime :p and possible equipment failures if the pump fails!
but i'm sure overheat protection will kick in and shutdown the system anyway

Well I'm worried about downtime :p and possible equipment failures if the pump fails!

Yes, your system will shut down if it gets too hot.
You still have down-time to figure out where the failure is and replace it, so you can't escape that.

As I said, if the whole thing blows up.....I get to buy new stuff!:D

Yes, your system will shut down if it gets too hot.
You still have down-time to figure out where the failure is and replace it, so you can't escape that.

As I said, if the whole thing blows up.....I get to buy new stuff!:D

I don't want to kill 4 videocards!! :) that's a lot of new stuff to buy ;)

What additives do I need to add to my distilled water?

also next: what type of tubing, barbs and fittings (90 degree bends?) should I use?

EK.....meh. After their waterblock asshat moves a couple years ago I wouldn't buy their stuff if they were giving it away.:eek:

I've never run two pumps at the same time? I can't see an advantage.

It doubles water pressure and increases flow rates by around 30%, improving temperatures and offering redundancy in case one fails.

lol gotta love all the EK haters on this forum.

Thanks :) I think I will grab 2 pumps in the end, looking @ rads now, I have a line on 2 rads, thouh price is getting close to a new Mo-Rad so I might just grab one of those.

MO-RA FTW :D

I'm seriously considering adding one to the loop in my TJ07 since I'm pretty limited on rad space.

What brand and type of tubing do I want to look at ?

Pressure fittings vs barbs + clamps? if barbs + clamps what type of clamps are preferred?

Last edited:
What brand and type of tubing do I want to look at ?

Pressure fittings vs barbs + clamps? if barbs + clamps what type of clamps are preferred?

I used to use barbs plus clamps, but compression fittings (if tubing cut correctly) are very reliable in my opinion. My entire system with 16 barbs are all compression fittings and haven't had a problem so far. Though the compression fittings sometimes need extenders to work with some case areas and water blocks. It adds up quickly!

The barbs+clamps would leak sometimes due to the clamps not putting equal pressure around the tubing causing warping and leaking over time. Inexpensive compared to compression, but I don't like doing the clamps anymore.

I used to use barbs plus clamps, but compression fittings (if tubing cut correctly) are very reliable in my opinion. My entire system with 16 barbs are all compression fittings and haven't had a problem so far. Though the compression fittings sometimes need extenders to work with some case areas and water blocks. It adds up quickly!

The barbs+clamps would leak sometimes due to the clamps not putting equal pressure around the tubing causing warping and leaking over time. Inexpensive compared to compression, but I don't like doing the clamps anymore.

I've never had a leak with barbs, however compression fittings do sound interesting, how do they work?

Thanks for the info too :

I've never had a leak with barbs, however compression fittings do sound interesting, how do they work?

Thanks for the info too :

Just google, but basically compression fittings are two parts, one outside compression ring when being screwed into the base of the second part, the barb puts force on the tube and seals it more evenly (imo) than a regular barb.

A lot of pumps have 3 wire leads that plug into you're cpu fan header to monitor flow rate. Thus if the pump or "fan" as your mobo sees it, fails, it will let you know.

I'm planning on wcing my mining rigs in the next few months. It will need to cool two 290xs and two 280xs, no CPU. I'm also considering leaving the rads submerged in a small kiddy pool of water in the shade outside and running the water lines into my basement. But let's assume I'm using fans to cool the rads;

Is it better to run two smaller loops? Or one big one with a better pump?

How many rads and what size will I need?

What type of pump would fulfill the requirement for both scenarios.
Danner mag 7-9

You might wanna check out this thread, too: http://www.overclock.net/t/406256/the-official-bong-lovers-club-56k-fail/0_100
1 big bong would work.

I'd think a mag 7 or 9 is overkill. Plus a traditional mag pump is 120v which means you have to get a little more involved in the wiring. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but know what you're getting into.

Great thanks for all of the info.

I'm thinking of this kind of setup...

--- Pump (1/2ID Tubing)-------- <(Y splitter) (3/8th ID from here on in) ===== (2 more y splitters) into 4 cards, and the same back to the rad(4 into 1)

Now would it make more sense to do 1/2 ID tubing to the first 7 split, then go to a smaller tubing afterwords?

Back