New Vista 32bit + 3gig - But not showing?

AYO VIN

Gawd
I just installed Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit and put in 3gb memory, but vista only shows me 2.25g?

How do I enable the rest of it?

My spec is in my sig.

memory is also assigned for your video card/sound card/random pci cards so after all of that (about 800mb in yer case, x-fi and gtx) and its about right.

2.5 +.8 = 3.3 which is where the limit is around

The link provided should answer all your questions, but if you want a specific rundown for your system...it's the SLI that's killing you. Those two video cards are sapping 1280MB from the 4GB limit, and your motherboard is taking another 512MB. 4096 - 1792 = 2304MB = 2.25GB. You should run an x64 OS to take full benefit of all your RAM.

My essay includes instructions for getting a memory map specific to your machine. Why does that motherboard use 512 megs?

Most importantly, there's no limit at or near 3.2 gigs; Windows can see as much memory as your motherboard and peripherals can map.

Arent you suppose to keep even sticks instead of odd numbers in? Im running the two 512 so itll all be in dual channel? Correct me if Im wrong here please.

The numbers happen to work out that way, but in my experience motherboards often allocate 512MB (although you can often diminish this somewhat) at defaults. The 32-bit limit is 4GB, and in fact there is a 3.25GB limit of usable, addressable memory for Windows Vista 32-bit. This is arbitrary but chosen mainly because motherboards take 512MB and they expected an average 256MB video card: 4096 - 768 = 3328MB = 3.25GB.

Do you recommend me using just the two 1gb memory and take out the 512's?

If you were using 2x1GB and 2x512MB (assuming those are in their own pair), you likely had 2GB in dual channel, .25GB in single, and the rest being unused because of the memory limitation. Using just 2x1GB sticks will result in 2GB in dual channel. So, technically, your current setup is ideal...although using 2x1GB has other advantages, such as superior system stability or at least better overclockability/timings. In otherwords, you could probably get better overall performance out of just using 2 slots.

I have another question for you...

With vista now how come my fps dropped so much? I installed Lost Planet and my fps is only around 20?

World of Warcraft droped 30-40 fps also?

All drivers are updated also. With my setup I shouldnt be getting 20 fps in Lost Planet.

WoW shouldn't see a performance drop, since it's largely CPU/RAM-limited in a modern system, so it's likely a fundamental problem - configuration or driver. You could try running with 2GB just to test. Also, video card drivers are hit and miss on Vista, especially with the 8800 cards and definitely with SLI, I'd strongly suggest using the newest betas (162.15) unless that is what you mean by "drivers are updated." I know that Lost Planet has a specific issue in this instance that is only fixed by the newest driver - by which I mean beta, not official.

Back