• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Video Editing system questions...

wmw99a

n00b
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
48
OK, I'm new to this forum, and while I'm not new to computers / programming / video editing / gaming, but I'm by no means an expert. I work for a research lab, and we have need of updating our video archiving system. Currently, we're using 8mm cam's, which is very frustrating when you need dvd's made for lawyers. So... I'm looking into updating this to a digital system, and have spec'ed out the following:

Motherboard Intel D925XCV
Processor P4 3.0 GHz
Memory Kingston DDR2 1GB
Storage WD 250GB SATA 7200 rpm (2 in RAID 0)
Graphics ATI Radeon x700 pro 256 MB
Drive DVD Burner ???
Power Supply ???
Case General ATX supported case???
Case Fan ???
Video Capture Canopus DVStorm2 pro

The lab basically tests smoke detectors, and we have 2 camera's running for each test. I need a system that would be able to capture both feeds simultaneously (DVStorm supports this) and allows me to archive the information as quickly as possible to Hard drive, or DVD. Each test usually runs about an hour in length, so the data piles up quickly. There will be a small bit of editing, probably a picture-in-picture filter, and I want the render and encoding time to be as short as possible. The decision on whether to just burn everything to DVD or to just back it up on removable hard drives and burn DVD's as needed has not been made yet, and I welcome any advice. Keep in mind that the sky is not the limit, and I do need to keep this as cost efficent as possible, while still getting the job done.

I have talked to a few people who recommend dual processors, and AMD, but i've heard that intel's are better at video. (My personal comp is AMD, though) I'm open to any and all suggestions / comments / questions / criticisms...

Wes
 
I'm not sure if you should go with RAID 0, if one HDD breaks...your kinda screwed
 
RAID-0 = Bad idea. Has anybody added me to their ignore list because I post this about once a day? You do not gain any performance in single user situations and slash your reliability significantly. 'Nuff said. Also, invest in a suitable backup scheme, such as high quality tape or a well planned use of DL DVD-Rs. Plextor makes DVD Burners that re pretty darn good and their custoemr support is excellent, but most any 16X DL DVD Drive from a brand that's even half way good will do the job. NEC and NuTech come to mind out of the box - there are other good drives too. Read the stickies in the power supply forum for a good PSU.
 
wmw99a said:
Motherboard Intel D925XCV
Processor P4 3.0 GHz
Memory Kingston DDR2 1GB
Storage WD 250GB SATA 7200 rpm (2 in RAID 0)
Graphics ATI Radeon x700 pro 256 MB
Drive DVD Burner ???
Power Supply ???
Case General ATX supported case???
Case Fan ???
Video Capture Canopus DVStorm2 pro


Couple of things I would change.
1) already been said, drop the raid 0. You can deffinately record more than 1 dv feed at a time with the bandwith of a single sata drive. You may want to look at goign with a raid 1, 5 or other redundant solution.

2) If you do run a raid system in a computer used for work with valuable info on it, get an ADD IN raid controller. This will allow you to move your disk system to another computer in the event of a mainbord or other system failure with out loss of data.
 
ok, so scratch the raid 0... other than that, do you think the system is tough enough to handle the capturing and editing? Do you think that 1 SATA drive is definitetly fast enough to capture 2 or 3 DV feeds at a time??

with a raid 1, does the backup drive need a raid controller to read? or can you just plug it into another comp and it works??
 
just note DVD encoding takes time, maybe have the possiblity of a network share and a seperate encoding box? just a toss up
 
Back
Top