• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New video card recommendation

Diffie

n00b
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
20
Hi folks,

I would like your opinion on what nVidia card i should get?

I use Linux as my OS with nForce2 based AMD 3200+ processor.

Currently i have ATI Radeon 9600XT card but due to poor drivers i am switching to nVidia.

I mostly play UT2004,Americas Army and Doom3 of course.

I am looking for something midrange with best value for the buck!

I am looking for an eqivalent nVidia card or better to 9600XT in ~$160 range. Since there are many manufactures which ones are good to buy from?

I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.
 
Are you having specific driver issues? Anything that can be fixed? Seems crappy to have to waste your money upgrading sideways just to avoid driver problems...

Only card I can recommend in your price range is the 5900XT, though I'm not a huge fan of nVidia's last generation, it's a good card and should perform a little better than your 9600xt especially if you overclock...
 
Keep your current card. I have a 9700pro and the drivers work just fine, what is wrong with yours? The last gen nvidia cards were terrible compared to ati's.
 
gregr said:
Keep your current card. I have a 9700pro and the drivers work just fine, what is wrong with yours? The last gen nvidia cards were terrible compared to ati's.

Maybe he's trying to use it on linux or something.
 
^eMpTy^ said:
Are you having specific driver issues? Anything that can be fixed? Seems crappy to have to waste your money upgrading sideways just to avoid driver problems...

Only card I can recommend in your price range is the 5900XT, though I'm not a huge fan of nVidia's last generation, it's a good card and should perform a little better than your 9600xt especially if you overclock...

Thanks for suggestion. No it can't be fixed due to ATI's ignorance . Trust me, i've tried even had contact with the head of Linux devel team. Their Linux drivers are very poor and have been for long time. Thus the switch to nVidia.
 
gregr said:
Keep your current card. I have a 9700pro and the drivers work just fine, what is wrong with yours? The last gen nvidia cards were terrible compared to ati's.

I hope you're not talking windows drivers because the Linux ones are not working for me. Just reading the rage3d.com Linux forum is enough...
 
^eMpTy^ said:
Maybe he's trying to use it on linux or something.

:D one sharp reader!

Yes, i use Linux and because of ATI's driver issues i am switching to nVidia which has great driver and support for Linux ATM.

I am long time [H] reader and was a member of this borads since 1999 but i lost the nick in the forums upgrade i guess thus i had to re-register as i did not wanted to bother FragMaster about it.But that's on margin...:D

I've done a little reaserch and deciding about e-VGA 5900XT board like http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-130-187&DEPA=0

What do you guys think about this card? Any experience with it esp. in Linux?

Any comments are welcome. Thanks for help and reading.
 
Back
Top