• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New video card is causing computer not to post

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Messages
1,166
Hey guys, I just got a GT 240 to replace my 8800 gts 320MB for my HTPC. However, the computer isn't posting now. Nothing appears on the screen. Any ideas on what is wrong? My HTPC is in my sig.
 
The obvious would be to make sure its seated properly and that all the power plugs are in.....not familiar with the 240 so I'm just assuming it takes external power...

does the computer power up and just not display video, or does it not even power on?
Do you have another system to try it in?
 
I have reseated a couple times already. There is no external power for the card. It is powered completely through the PCI express slot. The computer turns on, but does not post. Meaning fans are spinning, but there are no beeps confirming the BIOS has posted. The screen obviously stay black. I do not have another system to try it in. The fan on the Video Card is spinning, so it is getting power.
 
Put the old card back in, if it posts using that card then get ready to send the new one in for an RMA.
 
Well this blows. This was the card I won in one of the HardOCP Galaxy giveaways. I'll be giving Galaxy a call then.
 
Is it possible its just not compatible with that board?
are all PCIe slots created equal?
 
AFAIK they are. I mean other than x16, x4, and x1 slots. But even then, an x1 card should work in an x4 or x16 slot.

yeah, Im not sure either.I had a friend that bought an 8800GT a while back and it not work on his old 939 board....it worked fine on my old IP35..so who knows....

if you have a friend with a system, it might be worth trying it in that before you go thru the trouble of an RMA....I wish I could be of more help.
 
My PSU is a 550W. Besides it was powering a 8800 gts 320MB that is way more power hungry. And I have no means to test it in another computer.
 
This sounds crazy, but try it with only one stick of RAM in. If it boots, shut it down and put the other stick in. That has worked for me a couple of times. Also, you might try a BIOS update on the motherboard.
 
Well now something really bad has happened. It's not working with the original video card anymore!!! I am getting pissed.
 
Ok the RAM trick actually did fix the problem with the original card not working, but the GT 240 is still not working.
 
Hey guys, I just got a GT 240 to replace my 8800 gts 320MB for my HTPC. However, the computer isn't posting now. Nothing appears on the screen. Any ideas on what is wrong? My HTPC is in my sig.

Had this happen once on a 4870 upgrade. Turns out after an hour of diagnosing, the problem was a *bent* pin in the PCIE slot which got bent from my unseating my last card. Moved the pin back into place and the PC booted up fine.
 
Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but I can relate to this experience last week with a GT 220 card. My original impetus in getting a lower-end card for a third system is in this thread. The very same thing happened with the GT 220: Fan spinning, but no video and no POST. An 8800GT I tested on that motherboard worked flawlessly. It turned out in my case, it was a defective card. I took that card back, but before I could exchange it I discovered that I could have gotten a GT 240 for the same price (after rebate) that the GT 220 I returned sold for when I first got it. I went for the 240.
 
Lol. I saw this at the top of my subscriptions and was like," what the hell is this thread". Yea my card turned out to be defective. Galaxy sent me a new one and it worked fine.
 
Back
Top