New video card giving me problem...

lordoff

n00b
Just bought a sapphire 9600 pro to replace my gf4 mx440...

I forgot to uninstall my old driver at first install (monitor got no signal), so went back and uninstalled and used driver cleaner but monitor is still getting NO signal...

Whenever I plug in my old mx440 everything is fine but whenever I plug in my ati card, no response.

1. Could this just be a plain bad card? the fan on it is running fine if thats any indication...
2. Theres are 3 jumpers on the top left section of the card and last 2 are connected...I tried every configuration but still no sign

I have ECS mobo with VT8235 chipset / xp 2000 / thermaltake 420w psu

Im not really sure but i think some 9600s needs to be plugged-in on one of the molex/3 pin connectors from you PSU

Have you tried clearing the CMOS on your Mobo?
I got this probleming when swapping out my 7800gtx for an ati card.

onin / I cant find any connector on the card to connect except those jumpers...

slo gun / are you talking about CMOS reset with changing jumpers on the mobo? if so, I assume the method depends on the mobo..right? (I guess I'll have to look up the manual to try it)

anyway, thanks so far

Yes there should be a 3pin jumper near to the battery on your mobo.
Remember to make a note of any settings you may have changed over the defaults on your mobo, as they will all be reset to back to default.

Looked up the manual and tried the reset, still no avail...

one more thing...the card does not exactly align to the screw hole in the mobo...so when I try to hold it, there seems to be a tension in the thing

urg...

possibly a faulty card?
is it possible for you to try it in another machine?

unfortunately not at this moment...I'm just really frustrated now...been at this for hours

So since the computer runs fine with my old card, does that mean I can rule out everything else besides the new video card?

I think I'll try formatting the computer if necessary...

I would say so, not 100% on that though.
I dont think formatting will do anything if you cant even see the bios screen.

Been trying all night...I'm gonna go test it on the other machine tommorrow (actually its past midnight so today

I'm leaning towards the theory that this one is a bad one...oh i have all the luck

Want to make sure...

If the graphic card info shows up when I boot, (even after uninstalling the driver) does that mean there are still traces of nvidia card on my system?

and when the nvidia card is installed correctly, the device manager shows that the device location as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0...so is the AGP considered a type of PCI slot?

Back