• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New video card @ $400?

Zyzzyva100

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 26, 2001
Messages
1,204
I am just starting to order the components for my new computer so that I can hopefully be playing doom 3 soon after it comes out. I have decided to use a socket 939 3500+, and am between the msi, abit and asus 939 boards, but kinda clueless on video cards.

I haven't really gamed alot over the past 2 years, so I kinda fell out of the loop. I have been looking forward to doom 3, and half life 2 a lot however, and I want a card to run them with all the eye candy turned on. I use my lcd for everything (for better or for worse), so i will not need to run anything above my native resolution of 1280 x 1024. (and it has to have dvi)

With that said, I am currently looking at the 6800 gt and x800 pro. As the title says, I want to spend around 400, but it could be more if I like what I see. So, I'd like to hear people's reccomendations as to brands (as in manufacturers), as I know theres always going to be an nvidia vs ati debate.

Also, as side note, I have been very careful to make sure my new system will run quietly, so i am hoping to find a vga cooler for the card that I buy. Are there currently any vga silencer type products out for either the x800 or 6800 series cards?
 
The best you can get for $400 is the 6800GT. Its faster then the X800Pro in D3D and nVidia's drivers are much better in OpenGL. If your building a box for Doom 3 you dont want anything less then a 6800.

The 6800's are faster in every OpenGL game and at every setting. They also exclusively support UltraShadow II Technology which is being used in Doom 3.

Nearly everyone has their 6800GT running past Ultra speeds (400/1100).

The X800Pro is only a 12 pipeline card while the GT is a full 16 pipeline card.

For brands i would suggest XFX, Gainward, BFG, eVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, Leadtek, and there are some other good ones. Just buy whatever brand you can find in stock.

Check this out for a silent VGA cooler:

http://www.svc.com/zm80d-hp-75.html
 
Thanks for the informative post. I think now I know where to center my research. Now just to see if anyone has gotten that vga cooler to work on a 6800.

Any other reccomedations for vga coolers. They don't have to be silent, but I will pay a premium for good performance and quiet.
 
Odd, I didn't notice that article on the front page earlier. But its exactly what i was looking for.
 
THere will be VGA silencers for both x800 and 6800 series... can't wait to get my hands on one, this 6800gt is too HOT!!! :D
 
Back
Top