New (v9) Anti-Vir is stealing my RAM's!!!

criccio

Fully Equipped
:D

Anway...

3 days ago I woke up and went to my PC and noticed that my RAM usage was maxed out completely (via the Task Manager as well as my sidebar gadget) and my system was ridiculously slow so I had to reboot. I decided to not go crazy uninstalling anything yet and see if it happened again the next morning.

Sure enough it did, and I realized the last thing I installed was the new Anti-Vir. When I installed it, I had set it to do a full system scan at 4am every day so the first thing I did was disable that scan and wait for the next morning to see if that fixed the issue.

It did not... So, I uninstalled it completely and magically I no longer have to reboot every morning for my PC to become usable again. :)

Currently I went back to the latest v8 build and don't experience any of those issues.

What could be causing this and how do I go about diagnosing it?

There is probably just a memory leak in the newer version. You know Vista gets the shaft and is a back-burner OS to most developers. I'm sure it will be cleared up with an update.

after Version 7, AVG got bloated and wasteful. Now happily using Avira Free.

Also since version 7/8, I've seen lots of false positive with default settings, and also some buggy issues with update system (probably resolved now) which needed uninstalled/reinstalled.

Not saying Avira is perfect, but less resources and free can't be beat.

I'd try reinstalling it, I'm running ver. 9 on my x64 vista box and it's smooth as silk

I've noticed that problem if have the real-time anti-malware/spyware component is running. Once I disabled it, it was back to the lightweight normalcy I expect from Avira.

Hmm, I will try reinstalling it and playing with the real-time component. Thanks for that tip.

I have always loved Avira Anti-Vir, so this issue is kind of annoying.

Also running 9, and it is just as fast as 8 or so it seems.

One annoying thing, is EVERY MORNING when I wake up it wants me to reboot because of an update. Sometimes, I do, sometimes I don't. But seriously, a reboot every single freaking day. I'm on the verge of uninstalling just due to that alone.
/rant

IMO Avast is the way to go nowadays. AVG sucks, and Avira=Adware.

IMO Avast is the way to go nowadays. AVG sucks, and Avira=Adware.

How is Avira adware?

I loaded v9 on a friends XP SP3 system and I left off the spyware/malware component. Avira seemed to be roughly the same speed as v8 but the reboot after an update thing was annoying. Thus why all my systems still run v8.

Hmm, ok I reinstalled it last night with the active scanner component enabled. What I didn't do is schedule a full system scan @ 4am yet, but I still had all my RAM this morning. Ill schedule the scan tonight and see what happens tomorrow morning.

And Avira being adware... Lol
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Hmm, ok I reinstalled it last night with the active scanner component enabled. What I didn't do is schedule a full system scan @ 4am yet, but I still had all my RAM this morning. Ill schedule the scan tonight and see what happens tomorrow morning.

And Avira being adware... Lol
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Do you still get the reboots with updates?

Hmm, no. I have never had to update after a reboot, even with the first installation.

Back