• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New user looking to join a team

Nihilus1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 7, 2015
Messages
441
I didn't see an intro thread, so I figured I would use a new thread to introduce myself :)
My plan was to return to folding after a 4 years with used hd 7970 or recently ordered, but after reading through the forums, I realized that PG is not worth supporting.
Anyhow, I plan on using milkyway@home for my AMD card when it gets here (right now I am running it on my apu)
I already started crunching(?) on this computer, but I was wondering how to change teams and username under the Boinc interface.

This seems like a pretty active boinc community - I was folding with overclockers.com, but they don't really have much of a boincing community.
 
Welcome!!!

If you have very few projects then I suppose that you can go to the individual sites and drop your team, change your nick and then join a new team. If you have a lot of projects to edit I'd suggest using an account manager like BAM. It's like one stop shopping for changing your nick and changing teams. Be careful with the teamname for some projects, not all are [H]ardOCP :(
 
Thanks, I think bam takes a while to recognize my projects, even after syncing. I make changes on the Bam website, right? When I quit a team, It looks like all of my points carry over to that other team!
Lastly, if I wanted to donate to several teams, I would need a new email/ bam account, otherwise the points would all carry over. Sorry if these are confusing questions. I plan on doing most of my crunching with [H], but I want to advertise my family buisness on few Wisconsin team donor sites :p
 
The points will only move at the project level. BOINCStats will still show your totals. You can use the same email and user name while on multiple teams. Most of the people here experience this because there are a couple projects that use a slightly different team name. CPDN, Einstein, and WCG (they use HardOCP while all others use [H]ard|OCP).

So, all you need to do is tell BS which team you want to be on for each project and when the stats update next, it should sync up. I also think if your computer is sync'd with BS and then updates with the project after then it will change over. Sorry, it's been a while since I looked into that. ;)

Oh, and welcome to the team!
 
Thanks for the welcomes. I just got my 7970 today. How do i set it up so that MW is only running the 7970 and i am free to use the apu for normal computing. Also, what driver/CCC is best for milkyway@home?
 
As far as limiting the GPU.... BOINC by default will use the best GPU for crunching. If you want to use multiple GPU's, you have to create a cc_config file telling it to do so. So, the question here is, have you already created a cc_config and what did you put in it? Also, what version of BOINC and what OS? As far as best CCC, I'm not sure any more...haven't kept up. That may require a visit to their forums unless someone else chimes in.

Edit: also keep in mind that some people are having troubles over there right now. http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/forum_thread.php?id=3781#63664
 
Last edited:
I am running 1 7970 that I bought off of ebay, so I don't have any catalyst control center yet. I am running windows 7 64 bit. I have NO idea what cc_config is. Sorry for being such a newb. The 7970 seems to be crunching well - betwwen 16 and 35 seconds / project
 
Right now, my cpu is at 100% because boinc is using the 7970 plus all aailable cpu resources. i don't want that. I just want the GPU. thanks for the support!
 
Then what you need to do is change your preferences at Milkyway. Log in, and change the profile settings that your computer is using... unless you changed it, it should be Default. Just uncheck the use CPU and you won't download cpu work for Milkyway.

Next question, are you running any other projects?
 
The steps are:
go to MW website and log into your account
go to Preferences for this project MilkyWay@Home preferences
Under Primary (default) preferences click on Edit MilkyWay@Home preferences
uncheck use CPU
click Update Preferences
In BOINC, just update the project and it should get the new settings. It won't abort the current work units, so if you don't want them to finish you have to manually abort the CPU work.
 
A cc_config.xml file is something you can create and put into the BOINC data directory to give you a more advance control over its behavior. There are a ton of options you can set in one. Though it may be a bit cluttered, we have a thread in the guides section that was meant for such things. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1729016
 
Awesome! I am not running any projects except MW@H. I set the setting to "do not use cpu" and up to 100% for amd GPU. I just changed the MW@H preferances and not the boinc preferences. It looks like the 7970 is begging one of my 6400k cores to the max so I might need to O/c the apu
 
Now, once you have your CPU work units figured out, you need to find out your GPU's utilization is. Odds are MW is NOT pushing that card to 100%. If you haven't already, download a utility that will let you monitor it. I recommend GPU-z http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

The next thing we will do is instruct you on how to run more than one work unit at a time on that bad boy so you can maximize your output. But first we need to know how much utilization you are getting with just one.
 
Also, how much of a CPU core is it actually using? Check task manager to be sure. BOINC can somewhat lie to you....

It is common behavior for cruncher to dedicate an entire CPU core to help feed the GPU...
 
Ha only using a fraction of the core while charging through at full steam. No O/c needed.
GPUZ results: 98% gpu load, fan 46%, temp at 81*C max - damn these run hot. 925mhz core. thanks for the link, I will take time to read through it.
 
Everything seems to be running good so i son't mess with the cc_config stuff - kinda scary.
[H] team joined!
 
Yeah...if you are actually hitting a steady 98% then no worries...but if it is spiking up and down quite a bit, you may be able to squeeze more out of it by running multiples. It has been a while for me on MW, so can't recall how many others were running. And yes... 7970's do run pretty hot.

Now, attach to another BOINC project called WUProp. It is non-CPU intensive and is a good project to contribute to. It will run alongside all other work and be pretty much unnoticeable.
 
Since you were so helpful, I joined WUprop under Nihilus1. Milkyway crunching with [H] under
"Scott Walker for President" :p
 
Awesome. So, if you decide to use the APU as well... let me know and we will get you straightened out on a cc_config setup that works for you. If you decide you just want to generate a ton of points, Collatz will really scream with that 7970 but it is a math project and has had a lot of ups and downs this year. Recently they just had some electrical problems. PrimeGrid can really take advantage of that card with their GFN work units but those are monsters.

Otherwise, it should work pretty good at "most" BOINC projects with AMD GPU support.
 
And don't forget the IGPU in your Intel rig can also crunch at a hand full of projects.
I believe:
SETI/SETI BETA
Collatz
Gerasim (if they have work units)
Einstein/Albert
 
I have the AMD apu a6-6400k. I tried some crunching with it but it is pretty slow and not really worth it.
I updated my drivers and I am going strong at 13-28 seconds fwith the 7970. My display is hooked up to the 7970, but doesn't work when connected to the motherboard. I just want to make sure that I am using the iGPU resources first when doing daily tasks and not the dGPU. I was trying to monkey with cc_config,
but I dont have the C:\Program Data\BOINC folder.
 
Welcome to the team!

Nice to have you with us!

Most everyone here is polite and friendly!
 
wow, I am at 25k credit from 12k credit since messing with my new 7970 card just in the couple of hours. The first 12k credit took DAYS with the A6-6400k.

Thanks Pocatello - wasn't sure if I would like BOINC after coming from F@H, but so far it has been great. Go Hard!
 
when you say you don't have the C:\Program Data\BOINC folder, do you see the C:\Program Data\ folder at least? If not, this is a hidden folder via Windows default settings. You have to click on Tools > Folder Options > View > and check the Show hidden files, folders, and drives bullet, then click apply and OK.

When I said the Intel IGPU, I was meaning the other computer listed in your account. http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/show_host_detail.php?hostid=621795

As far as the APU in your 7970 machine, do you have a display connected to both video devices? Also, you may need to change your BIOS settings to make the onboard video the default or it may disable it. Some boards won't let you use both but that is becoming less common these days.
 
Greetings,

Sorry for dropping in on the thread. However, I figured that this would be a better place than others to do the Introduction.

I just join [H]ardforum's due to what appears to be a fairly stable community of individuals that are into distributed computing. Back in college my friends and I started to do F@H but after about a couple weeks more or less died off. Then I found the DC group here, read a couple threads and decided to give it another go.

I currently have BONIC installed on a server that i'm also using as a hyper server, only due to the fact that my actual computer is at my other place an hour away from me. My computer is packed will what I feel are very nice parts. Later on I'll give the specs for it so that we can figure out optimum performance for it.

I currently have the server working on WCG and WUProp.

I'm also hoping that I can leverage the two computers that I have collecting dust to start DCing as well. Is there a way to split a task between two computers ?

Well I believe i've said enough for now.

Wish all happy DCing!

-Azuroth
 
Cool, found the folder and dropped the XML file in there. Ha, that intel was just a laptop I was testing BOINC with. thanks for the BIOS help. I can now hook up my display to the motherboard while the 7970 is still crunching with nothing hooked up and interfering. :D
I wouldn't mind using the iGPU now that the dual gpu file is in the BOINC folder. How do I activate that? Will it screw up the 7970 in any way?
 
Azuroth, welcome to the team.

To answer your question, the answer is no. You can't take a work unit and spread it between two boxes. That is kinda what has already been done by sending it out from the project. However, you can run the BOINC program on each computer using the same account and thus getting work units sent to both. I hope that answers your question. Also, just to make sure you got attached to the right team at WCG. Did you attach to HardOCP instead of [H]ard|OCP? That is one of the few projects where our team has had a few different teams set up and most of us contribute to HardOCP.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BP5XNJBR9N1
 
Nihilus1, they should work independently of each other. (there was only one project I know of that didn't and that was Moo!, but I think they fixed that) With the cc_config file in place you can add the flag <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus> to tell BOINC to use all GPU's that it detects. However, the headache comes down to when you want to suspend GPU work to do other things. BOINC isn't not advanced enough "yet" to allow you to suspend only one GPU without replacing your cc_config file settings.

The other thing is that you can also use the cc_config to exclude certain GPU's from running certain projects. I have an example on post 15 here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1729016

Also, there is another .xml file you can create called an app_config.xml that you can also do similar things with that goes into the project folder under the BOINC data directory. If you read further in that thread, there are various examples. At first glance it can be pretty overwhelming but there are tons of various flags that can be used. Each time they upgrade BOINC there is a chance of them adding or removing some of the flags.
 
WCG is set to HardOCP and WUProp is set to [H]ard|OCP. Both under the name of Azuroth.
 
Oh, and APU's being fast enough to use is all relative to how you look at things. APU's are still tons faster than CPU's and well... if it was worth running on a CPU at one time, why is the science no longer worth it just because there is something out there faster. Run them both, them all, heck run them on everything you can... that is what I do.
 
WCG is set to HardOCP and WUProp is set to [H]ard|OCP. Both under the name of Azuroth.

Good to know. That is correct. Many new and old members get stumped on this some times and I always have to make sure. :D
 
so this is what I have under a file titled "cc_config.xml" within Program data>BoINC:
<cc_config>
<options>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
</options>
</cc_config>

I might just need to restart.
Also, welcome Azoroth!
 
Nihilus1, you can either close BOINC down (not minimize to taskbar) and then launch it again or depending on the version of BOINC (version 7.6.2 changed all the options around) you can tell BOINC to read config files which will apply them on the fly. You have to be in advance mode to see that option. I think it is under either Tools or Options depending on the version, but I'm flying blind at the moment.
 
It seems my gpu is throttling down to 20% over half the time according to gpu-z. Any reason for this?
 
Yes... the reason is that the work units will not use 100% of the GPU from beginning to finish. There will be times that it needs the CPU to do portions of the work unit. This is why many people will run multiple work units at a time on their GPU. To make sure it is being fully used 100% of the time or pretty close to it. You would need to create an app_config.xml and put it in the C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\milkyway.cs.rpi.edu_milkyway foler. If you go to the thread I linked http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1830281, there is an example of the app_config listed in a few of the posts.
 
haha apparently saving the naming the document "app_config.xml" doesnt actually same it as an XML. Probably why I struggled with the cc_config. I was confused when I googled it.
 
what does this document y already has 'document element node' even mean. XML is so damn goofy. I feel like a nerd
 
Ok, finally starting to get a grasp on XML. This is exactly what my XSL output reads:

<app_config>
__<app>
____<name>milkyway</name>
____<gpu_versions>
______<gpu_ussage>.50</gpu_ussage>
______<cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
____</gpu_versions>
__</app>
</app_config>

Boinc can not read it becasuse it keeps putting :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
in front of it. same goes for cc_config. how do I get rid of that??
 
doubleclicking on cc_config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<cc_config>
__-<options>
____<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
__</options>
</cc_config>

that UTF-8 crap is in there too!
I just added underscores to show how it looks
 
Back
Top