NEW Ultra X-finity 2nd generation

nubbin77

Limp Gawd
Everyone bashes the X-connect PSU's and everything else Ultra because the X-conects had some problems. However they have recently released (read in the last few months) a second generation of their X-finity series (both 500 and 600 watt).

Anyway according to the 4 reviews I read, they all indicate that the problems this brand had in the past are gone. And that these new PSU's are in fact very good.

Here are a couple of reviews of the 500 watt version.

http://techgage.com/review.php?id=3471

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/ultraxfinity2/index.php?file=1
And here is the one I am interested in.

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=60&pPath=383&productID=388

This is what I plan on powering:

Thermaltake Armor Full Tower Aluminum E-ATX Case w/No PS Black

AMD Opteron 170 Dual-Core 2.0GHz (plan on overclocking heavily)
2 Gigs of Curicial Value
2 * Western Digital Caviar SE 250 GB SATA3G 16MB Cache 7200 RPM (raid 0)

DFI Lan Party UT NForce4 Ultra-D
eVGA GeForce 7800 GT

And water cooling with the APEX-Extreme kit from Swiftech.

My question is, should I stay away from this PSU? Can you guys recommend something better? Is an Antec TPII 550 more than sufficient to power this? My biggest problem is I don't know how to factor in how much power you need for water cooling.

Fixed Links - Ice Czar

Agreed, but those aren't the only reviews out there, I just grabbed those 2 for a quick post.

I think only Fry's/Outpost has them right now.

jonnyGURU said:
(they don't ever link me, but they keep sending me product. Oh well.)

thats a left handed compliment
gushing , over awed reviewers get linked
:p

Ice Czar said:
thats a left handed compliment
gushing , over awed reviewers get linked
:p

People that use MBM5 get linked. :rolleyes:

Oh well... I've got an o-scope now. Things should get interesting. :D

I have a new toy too.

hp_6050a.jpg

Agilent 6050A
only without moduals I have no idea if its alive or dead,
and I have to sell a kidney to afford the moduals :p :rolleyes:

have fun with your new toy ;)

running this for a few days works GREAT!! dont be scared get this!!

stryder2720 said:
yea I picked one up for 19.00 @ Micro Center last weekend.
for some reason, i dont think you entered the price correctly.

and kind of offtopic: jonny, have u played around with the enermax liberty psu's? the 400watter looks good, 20A per rail, and costs <$80 at newegg (before shipping and maybe tax)

$19.99 after rebates.
99 before an instant rebate then a 30 mail in rebate via onrebate.com on top of that = 19.99.
Picture.jpg

Soymilk said:

That's got to be last years model. No dual rail or 120MM fan, right?

Soymilk said:
]and kind of offtopic: jonny, have u played around with the enermax liberty psu's? the 400watter looks good, 20A per rail, and costs <$80 at newegg (before shipping and maybe tax)

Not the 400W, but I've been working on the 620W: http://www.webhelp.org/jonnyguru/PSU/ELT620AWT/ELT620AWT.html

I just have to put the photos up. Maybe this weekend.

damn whats crazy i thought hte cheapest was like 70 from tigerdirect owell i got mine in a bundle with 7800 gt and cod2

Soymilk said:

and kind of offtopic: jonny, have u played around with the enermax liberty psu's? the 400watter looks good, 20A per rail, and costs <$80 at newegg (before shipping and maybe tax)

I've had the 500W for a couple weeks now and, compared to the Aspire I had, it's great. Very solid voltage from what I can see. Alot of people complain about the odd connector layout, but depending on what you have, it can be a great benefit as far as cable management goes.

BTW, the dual-rail X-Finity IS the one that comes with that PNY bundle from Tiger (and is available for sale outside the bundle). At least mine was that came with the bundle. Soon to be on Bay or [H] for sale :)

Nope I made SURE it was the new model.
Dual 12v rails and everything. I would post a pic BUT its wrapped up under the christmas tree.

that is an GREAT price. woulda bought it if i knew where it was in houston........i know we have one.

Better jump on that now. That's GOT TO BE a pricing error. Somebody didn't look at the part numbers and they think it's the single 12V rail model. My cost on that PSU is well over $50.

jonnyGURU said:
Better jump on that now. That's GOT TO BE a pricing error. Somebody didn't look at the part numbers and they think it's the single 12V rail model. My cost on that PSU is well over $50.
BTW, the one you sent me in FL was still doing fine when I left.

Dave :D

Back