New Twist on Identity Theft

HardOCP News

[H] News
[H] forum member EvilAlchemist has some rather important information for those of you that buy items like iPods and MP3 players online. It seems that thieves are loading up the devices with malware so that victims are infected the first time they connect the device to their PC. One lady lost $12k in cash and had three of her credit cards maxed in four days. Pass this on to anyone you think might end up falling victim to a scam like this.

As we asked more questions, she said her computer had been running very slow since she purchased an iPod off eBay last week I looked on the iPod drive and there are numerous dll's , exe and tons of malware. So far, the thieves have stolen over $12,000 from here accounts and maxed 3 of her credit cards in 4 days! I wonder how many other iPod sold on eBay have this as well.

Steve, did you forget to put the link on the front page?

But wow, this is evil, I guess we should always format crap from fleabay no?

Can not stress this enough.... Disable Autorun!

If you wanted to go a bit further... formatting the device using a Linux LiveCD might also be a good idea.

Same thing has happened with fake flashdrives and SD cards. Someone told me about the fake ipod virus/malware thing about a year? ago, within that timeframe anyway.

Basically don't buy any of this crap you see on ebay that's mostly from China, is really cheap and claims to be the "real thing".

So if you have a realtime virus scanner unless it's some exploit that's unknown you should be safe?

The post is in the paid subscription forum, General Mayhem. Want to see the full post, ya gots ta pay to play. :)

I'm just curious as to how thieves got a hold of the information to 3 of her credit cards in 4 days. Is this woman an online shopaholic such that she actually input all of this financial data AND had her accounts cleared / maxed by day 4? I'm not sure this is all legit, even if she used online services to access her accounts and pay her bills this shouldn't be the case.

HD_Kill the most useful virus ever. Nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure.

Can not stress this enough.... Disable Autorun!
QFT

Saved me once from a infected thumbdrive. The malware was only detected after I manually initiated a virus scan for the drive before accessing it.

I'm just curious as to how thieves got a hold of the information to 3 of her credit cards in 4 days. Is this woman an online shopaholic such that she actually input all of this financial data AND had her accounts cleared / maxed by day 4? I'm not sure this is all legit, even if she used online services to access her accounts and pay her bills this shouldn't be the case.

She just bought the device and probably went online to verify that her payment for it went through. If she uses paypal and they used a keylogger, they could obtain all her information, credit cards, and bank information registered to paypal. Could be done in less than a day.

Same thing has happened with fake flashdrives and SD cards. Someone told me about the fake ipod virus/malware thing about a year? ago, within that timeframe anyway.

Basically don't buy any of this crap you see on ebay that's mostly from China, is really cheap and claims to be the "real thing".

China is one of the worst countries ever! between their hacking, olympic game cheating, pollution, restricting internet content, over population, and making fake products..

i dont know..thats just like one of the worst developed countries in the world

I sure would hope they are after the Bastaad that sold it to her.

The post is in the paid subscription forum, General Mayhem. Want to see the full post, ya gots ta pay to play. :)

Yea, I don't think it is worth paying a dollar to see Gen May, it is nothing but a bunch of self falaciating asshats.

Yea, I don't think it is worth paying a dollar to see Gen May, it is nothing but a bunch of self falaciating asshats.

lmao look at what you just posted. Great way to judge something before you've experienced it for yourself. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, don't buy used ipods.

Who knows? She could have had a text file on the desktop with all her log-ins and passwords.....or they caught her on the bill-pay/ shopping day.

GenMay has it's place I suppose, but I pretty much concur. From what I've seen, there's more lamers trolling there than anything else. To each his own though.

Interpol. While you may not actually get to sue them or anything to get your money back, you can at least pass on the info to try to get them arrested in Korea.

If they're in the US, well within our jurisdiction.

lmao look at what you just posted. Great way to judge something before you've experienced it for yourself. :rolleyes:

Years ago, this forum had a car section that rocked. Sure there was a lot of arguments between imports and domestic cars, but that was fun.

That was taken away, and became something you had to pay for.

I ran into a website the other day called www.genmay.com . Their [M] logo looks very familiar I thought. I put one and one together, and it seems there was a lot of people who wasn't happy about that either.

Point I'm making is, don't hide your forum and expect people to pay to see it. I wonder if HardOCP still even has a car section.

Back