New Toys Read Brain Waves

HardOCP News

[H] News
Engineers at NeuroSky Inc. are incorporating simple biofeedback devices into toys and games in hopes of making them more mentally stimulating and realistic.

Behind the mask is a sensor that touches the user's forehead and reads the brain's electrical signals, then sends them to a wireless receiver inside the saber, which lights up when the user is concentrating. The player maintains focus by channeling thoughts on any fixed mental image, or thinking specifically about keeping the light sword on. When the mind wanders, the wand goes dark.

Talk about something that would frustrate people with attention deficit disorder! :D
This kind of toy could help kids with mild ADD. Coming up with things like this to help train the mind are infinitely more helpful than prescribing a pill all the time. Pills work for some people, and others they don't.
I'm not a kid anymore, but I might give one of these toys a try to see if...ooh look at the squirrel outside my window.

This kind of toy could help kids with mild ADD. Coming up with things like this to help train the mind are infinitely more helpful than prescribing a pill all the time. Pills work for some people, and others they don't.
I'm not a kid anymore, but I might give one of these toys a try to see if...ooh look at the squirrel outside my window.

lol! I have always had ADD.. It would probably be great for a young kid with ADD.. I think it would just cause an adult with ADD to want to smash it though.. Not so easy to retrain the mind in adulthood. :(

lol! I have always had ADD.. It would probably be great for a young kid with ADD.. I think it would just cause an adult with ADD to want to smash it though.. Not so easy to retrain the mind in adulthood. :(
So true... so true.
However, without meds, I probably would forget why I was frustrated with the thing in the first place.:p

Just as long as the toy can't fight back, when it senses anger, I'm ok with it.:p

Don't want a preemptive strike by some killbot directed at me.

Just as long as the toy can't fight back, when it senses anger, I'm ok with it.:p

Don't want a preemptive strike by some killbot directed at me.

I pretty sure alot of us wouldnt want the IRobot movie to become real eh. i dont want to be beating down a 5 foot robot with my bare hands only to have it pwnt you with a punch to the gut.

Quote: "Kids who play the race car video game "Gran Turismo" with the SmartBrain system can only reach maximum speed when they're focused. If attention wanes or players become impulsive or anxious, cars slow to a chug."

First, this is true enough without EEG hardware. Second, all those other drivers need this in real life (preferably chugging along on the birm).

Also, where can I get a couple of EEG sensors that can plug into my speaker inputs. Once there, it's a piece of cake to do the FFTs needed to figure out what the brain is doing (as well as any EEG can do).

Wumpus

Back