• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Toy - ReadyNAS NV

havalon

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
109
I just got a ReadyNAS NV for my home thanks to work. Anyone have one of these units? I'd love to hear some experiences with them. I will post my impressions of the unit when it comes in the next week or so.
 
The ReadyNAS NV finally got delivered yesterday.

It was the diskless version so I got to build the unit from square one. The first thing I will say is that adding a hard drive is extremely easy. It requires four screws (provided) and that is all. The plastic front lever is strong, but it doesn't feel rock solid. That is my only complaint about the drive cages. It seems like they could have made them out of metal and made the unit that much more solid.

Once I loaded my two hard drives, I have two bays left for later growth, I turned it on and it was ready to start the Setup Wizard in about an hour. After that I configured the unit. It is robust with options, if you are curious about them see the Tom's Networking review on it. My biggest complaint is that the unit's web interface seemed sluggish compared to, say, the Linksys WRT54G. This was a bit annoying, it wasn't awful, but still not great. In the units defence it was still setting up the storage in the background converting a single disk to Raid 1.

Now it is running in my office, configured and running like a champ as a file server. Later this week I will be setting it up on a domain and configuring permission and quota settings.

The system is not that loud. No louder than the XPC system it is sitting next to it.

I will post more as I get deeper into the unit. Mind you this is from my lowly perspective. Feel free to give a bump/post if anyone cares.
 
Interesting...
I've been lookin for a little NASBox for a while and I can't decide between the older ReadyNas x600 or hte newer ReadyNas NV. Post some pics and possibly some of ur own benchmarks/transfer tests. I'd also be interested to know how smooth it joins a domains and possibly grabs the user/pass info. it would be really nice if u had a dozen diff hard drives on hand to test out how well it mix & matches various hard drives....

for those who are interested: link to infrant website
and theyre active support forum
 
Well, I won't be getting into proformance testing for a bit. This weekend I hope to have it loaded onto my domain and setup with user management and the likes. I agree it would be niec if I had drives to mix and match, but I do not. :( I am running WD4000YR and will be picking up two over the next few months to fill out the system as needed.
 
Well, I am sorry it took so long for me to get back get back to update.

This unit has been a little trooper so far. There was little issue joining it to my domain. I have a Windows 2003 server up that is running my domain. Once is joined my domain it pulled all the user permissions. Now, you can't set user rights for files via your server. Instead you log into the web-based interface and then set them from there.

A part of me would have liked it to be able to set everything in my server and avoid using the online interface. Once I got use to this it wasn't a huge deal. I setup about 30 different folders for different uses and configured them all quickly. I did not run into any addition issues at this point of the setup.

It intergrates perfectly with a IOData Player. I turned on the media streamer option and it worked flawlessly. I do wish I could allow it to access other folders than the default "media" folder they have set.

Around two weeks ago I upgraded to an additional 400GB hard drive. It took about 5 hours before my system was upgraded from RAID 1 to RAID 5. While it was doing this someone hit a power pole by my house and took out the power for a good two hours. This happend and my UPS battery happend to go wonky at the same time so it just shut off without me getting to power it down. After power was restored I powered up and allowed it to do continue and a few hours letter it was just fine.

I am also using this as an FTP server for myself. It runs great, but it pulls all the logins from the server. So if you want to give a friend a login you need to give him a domain profile. Also, you cannot monitor what anyone is doing via FTP, at least from what I can tell. I am fine with the FTP pulling logins from my server, but if I could monitor activity on my FTP I would be MUCH happier.

Any questions about the product, give a post. I am extremely happy with my purchase.
 
I'm thinking about getting one of these. I'm looking at the NV+ version and I'll use 3x wd 400g re2's in it. I don't have a domain at home so thats not an issue to me, nor is being able to monitor the users on my FTP server since almost no one will have access besides me...

Anyway, what do you think about yours after a few months of usage?
 
Back
Top