New Toy Bitspower RX-480 waterblock

ebduncan

[H]ard|Gawd
Long story but to make it short I have a bitspower RX-480 water block in the house.

I think its a rather pretty block. More to come later after a install. Thankfully I still have my RX-480 around so I don't have to purchase one to review this block. More to come later after install.

IMG_20161022_155258049_TOP.jpg

Very nice again. Judging by that pic the vrms are actively cooled by what looks like some very wide flat channels ek style. The milling on it looks good on the exterior surface with minimal tooling marks left behind.

Very nice again. Judging by that pic the vrms are actively cooled by what looks like some very wide flat channels ek style. The milling on it looks good on the exterior surface with minimal tooling marks left behind.

yes, the vrms are actively cooled, the water makes a direct pass over the vrms. Water in > core > to vrm > water out. Could also be Water in>VRM>to core> water out depending on which ports you use for the inlet/outlet.

I will be doing a full tear down of the block, I will link the full review of the block on my site when I'm done. I should get around to installing it tomorrow today is beer and football day so not much work gets done.

That looks like a work of art! Can't wait for the results of your testing and pics.

I have got the waterblock installed now.

Keeps things very cool. 20c delta on the gpu core at full load(when overclocked). Max core temp at stock was around 44c. Currently cruising at 1440mhz core, 2250 memory. @ 1.175mv at the overclock settings max core temp is at around 51-52c. I may remount the block with some better thermal compound on the gpu core seeing this small die has problems getting rid of lots of heat. Either way temps are very good.

Just as I go to push the core harder its heat density is to much for the even the waterblock to handle. A little different from my hawaii r9-290 where its big die didn't have any issues with thermal transfer. IE my 290 ran at 45c even though it was considerably more power hungry, compared to the rx-480 running at 52c. Granted there are more variables at play there as well such as that is with a EK 290 block, and this a bitspower rx-480 block. I don't want to fault the block, so probably going to chalk it up to small die hard to get the heat out. Temps are still fine. VRM's only run 5c delta over water temp which is just awesome.

still experimenting, appears asus gpu tweak, and amd wattman don't play nicely with one another causing powertune issues. I'm playing around with msi afterburner now.

. I may remount the block with some better thermal compound on the gpu core seeing this small die has problems getting rid of lots of heat. Either way temps are very good.
still experimenting, appears asus gpu tweak, and amd wattman don't play nicely with one another causing powertune issues. I'm playing around with msi afterburner now.

those are still some good temps but you might be right. I know it sounds weird but maybe try using just a bit more paste than you usually would and see if that helps. jaystwocents did a video about too little vs too much and found that just a little extra actually performed the best. I guess maybe it fills in more spots and any build up at the edges of the die would still transfer a bit of extra heat into the block. just guessing but to me seems possible.

re OC programs; its always best to use just one. that way they aren't fighting each other. I haven't used it but wattman is supposed to be pretty good once you get used to it.

Back