New to Xfire, Questions

grendelrt

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
212
I got my XFX 5970 Black in the mail today and the card is beastly. I have ran multiple SLI setups, but this is my first Xfire setup. I downloaded catalyst 10.3b and noticed there are xfire profile updates for BFBC2 that were released about a week before 10.3b. Are those included in 10.3B or are xfire profiles completely seperate and I still need to install them? Also where do I find the xfire profiles at, I have looked through CCC and have not seen them, only the create a new profile area.
 
From what I have gathered is that the app profiles are seperate from the drivers now. Instead of waiting for a new driver version to get new crossfire profiles, ATI will just update the profile updater. Just download and install it whenever a new version is posted. The crossfire profiles are all in the background, there is nothing to configure for crossfire other than turning it on.
 
Last edited:
I got my XFX 5970 Black in the mail today and the card is beastly. I have ran multiple SLI setups, but this is my first Xfire setup. I downloaded catalyst 10.3b and noticed there are xfire profile updates for BFBC2 that were released about a week before 10.3b. Are those included in 10.3B or are xfire profiles completely seperate and I still need to install them? Also where do I find the xfire profiles at, I have looked through CCC and have not seen them, only the create a new profile area.

Unlike the Nvidia system, you can't view the different crossfire profiles for games using the CCC. It is one area they really need to improve; at least with the Nvidia system you can create a custom profile and play with different SLI settings, even if the game was brand new.

With ATI we're forced to wait for a crossfire update. Not a deal breaker, just something they need to improve on.

The CCC create a new profile area is just used for having pre-set profiles that have different 3D settings, or display settings, or overclocking. It doesn't have anything to do with crossfire profiles.

I use the CCC profiles to have a desktop configuration (2560 x 1600 display and extended desktop to a 1920 x 1200); then I have a few game profiles setup (Dragon Age, Source Games, Company of Heroes, etc) and each of these is set to only use the big monitor, disabling the second monitor, and has the 3D settings (AA/AF/vsync whatever) that I want for each game. I then manually change the profile to whatever I need, and game on, or work, or whatever.

This isn't as elegant as the Nvidia 'automatic' profiles, and definitely an area where ATI could improve as well.

But their hardware seems pretty rock solid so far.
 
I absolutely love the card so far, that being said my 280GTX was rock solid, no desktop flickering, game lines, GSOD,etc. I have already experienced 2 or 3 things on the 5970, hopefully their drivers continually improve, because I cant give up this performance :eek:
 
Back
Top