New to wireless networking...Can my router search for the signal?

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi

Im new to wireless, I already have a wireless router but currently run it wired. I was thinking of going with a wireless type of internet service, How does this work and how would i get the DGL-4300 i have to pick on up the wireless signals.

You talking about Motorola Canopy? It's different..instead of a "modem"..you get a "subscriber module"...and you connect the WAN port of your router to that.

Maybe I asked the question wrong. Ill put it a different way.

I have a home desktop PC, But I'd like to connect to wireless networks like laptops do when you go out and about to your local starbucks or whatnot :)

Basically i know that laptops have a wireless network card or whatever there called to access to the signals, What do i need for my home pc to do this or will my DGL-4300 router be all that i need?.

Well if you don't already have a wireless card in the desktop thats what you'll need.

But if you're already connected to the router using a cat 5 cable why not stick to that as its faster?
There is no real advantage to having a wireless desktop unless you don't like having a cable going from the router to the comp.

Hope that helps a bit.

You need either a PCI network card or a USB one. PCI cards are generally better because they dont stick out the back of the computer (except the aerial) and you have the option of upgrading to a more powerful directional antenna.

If i leave it wired to the wireless router will the router then search for the wireless signal?

Back